Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

Woah! Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean it to come across that the settings in your sticky thread were supposed to fix all problems, I just wanted to point out that I tried them so people knew I had actually expended a bit of my time trying to sort out my problem before posting.

Man i come across this over and over and to this day i cant not find this sticky

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got my ram back from RMA today. i was pleased to find that they sent me a matched set of batch CL1115T.87 even though i sent them two sticks from different batches. currently i'm prime blending at 250 3-3-3-8 1T at 2.6v. so far so good, but i just started a few minutes ago... this is already better than my other set though, because with those i couldn't even start booting windows at anything less than 2.8v.

edit: just did a 20 minute windows memtest at 275 3-3-3-8 2.6v, no errors. my previous speed of 250 was very solid for the amount of time i was gaming and doing other things. very satisfied with this batch so far, but only time will tell.

used hci memtest all night (2 instances at 870mb apiece) with 0 errors at 275 3-3-3-8 1T 2.6v. looks like this replacement set is a winner! i just hope they last for more than 3 months (and more than 2 years, as good ram should do with no problem).

Hello,

If you do that you must keep the memory cool by placing a fan directly over the memory modules.

Yes, I place a fan(9cm). I gave it 3v-3.2v just for bench(memtest). But now in normal/default speed(FSB200x10 @2-3-2-8 1T dual channel(orange slot), it can't run stable with 2.6v, I have to give it 2.8v (superpi32M pass and prime95 stable).

I can run superpi32M on 278x10(divider 100(1:2)-Freq 139 @2.8v 2-3-2-8 1T).

But after I change divider to 120(3:5)-Freq 198.6 , I can't run superpi1M.

when I use divider120(3:5) for FSB278 why cpu-z shows 198.6 not 166.8? and when I use divider140(7:10) cpu-z don't show anything?

And this is a table I read in cpu-z when I run on optimize default.

screenshot11272005125502pm6mb.jpg

Can you or anyone tell me where is the problem? the memory or memory controller?

I just got done doing a 39 hour Memtest run at 250, 3-4-4-8, 2.6v with no errors :D. I currently have it running at 265 but I have yet to Memtest it there. Everything seems to be running good though :).

Edit: Just went through about 2 hours of Memtest at 265 and nothing showed up :).

Well my dreaded day has arrived. Once stable for 15+ hours mem test now not even 1 min stable @ 1min. Been roughly 4 weeks since I got the ram.

All done with 3-3-3-8 timings, 1T, 2T doesn't matter, 2.8V, 2.7V, 2.6V, rest of the settings where in auto. Started noticing failings in programs crashing and such.

260Mhz, Failed (1min)

234Mhz, Failed (22seconds)

185Mhz, Failed (Hardlocked after 15 seconds)

What a thing to test out right before I went to bed last night nowing my ram was failing.

Now I was able to do 2.5-3-3-8 stable @ 250Mhz w/ 2.7V and that was also memtest stable for 4hours at least (before i stopped).

Even the newer bios helped out with stability I was able to go higher on the memory without getting errors like in the previous bios. Guess it just legthend the time of the ram before it degraded more. Last test I did was last week where it past memtest on monday if not mistaken.

Guess its RMA time for me.

I got my replacement set of 2x1gb Ballistix yesterday, lot # CL1115.88. So far, 2hrs of HCI memtest no errors and 14hrs Dual Prime torture stable at 250, 1t, 3338, 2.7v everything else auto. Also using active cooling. So far, so good...

how much cfm do those fans put out ?? wondering if its worth doing .. i have so many fans already lol

I dont' get the mentality here. You run the memory at 260 or 270, which is above the spec speed and after a while it starts to fail. Then these exact same people b!tch becuase they are suggested to active cool the ram. If I was Crucial and knew whom were o/c the ram above spec, I'd deny any replacement request.