Sign in to follow this  
jhbodle

Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

Yeah, I want to run them at 250 - but to run them at that, I have to OC my CPU slightly. I want to test them at 200MHz so my CPU is completely at stock to rule it out.

What about running it at 250x8? That should rule out the CPU too.

I tried testing the memory again with the same settings but with 2.7 volts. I got an error at the same exact memory address (0002e4ccfb4) but within less than an hour. Since it's the same address and on the stick of memory with active cooling, I'm guessing that particular chip may be defective. I haven't tried raising the timings up to 3-4-4-8 yet so I haven't completely lost hope :P.

3-3-3-8 @ 250 is what I'm currently trying to hit stably. I ran them at 2-3-2-6 @ 200 in my Athlon XP machine for a couple of days without any problems.

I have had my fair share of trouble with these ballistix, but I finally got them working @ 2.2.2.6 1T 2.6 Volts anything higher gives me errors, although when I first had them they were running the same as but with 2.8 Volts, 16Hrs Memtest and prime 95 stable and no errors! after chatting to the guys @ crucial in the UK, the same guys who tested them when I RMA them and then sent them back, after explaining the probs we have all been having he said he would take a look @ this forum to see what’s what, with a little bit of luck I will try and get one of them to become a member and maybe take part in helping out! Fingers crossed! :D

http://www.insanetek.com/review.php?id=19&page=3

Anybody ever tried these settings? This is partly the reason why I purchased them, seeing that many are having issues I may have a lot of work to achieve stability. Hope to have them in three days time.

I read that review after I'd already purchased my Ballistix - closest I came to those settings was 285 @ 2.9v. At that speed it booted Windows (BIOS memtest seemed ok) but HCI design memtest in Windows failed within a few minutes. I never could got 295 or better, even going to 3.0v which I really was worried about. It got SOOO hot at 2.9v I wound up giving up and running 260 x 10 for a few weeks - ran all the tests I could find and it was rock solid. Then I started getting BSODs and from there it wasn't stable ever again with the Ballistix. :(

Great airflow, 75f ambient temp - but no active cooling on the RAM and I think either Ballistix absolutely require active cooling, they had a bad batch or both.

http://www.insanetek.com/review.php?id=19&page=3

Anybody ever tried these settings? This is partly the reason why I purchased them, seeing that many are having issues I may have a lot of work to achieve stability. Hope to have them in three days time.

I read that review after I'd already purchased my Ballistix - closest I came to those settings was 285 3-3-3-8 @ 2.9v (using low multi to eliminate the CPU). At that speed it booted Windows (BIOS memtest seemed ok) but HCI design memtest in Windows failed within a few minutes. I never could hit 295 or better, even going to 3.0v which I really was nervous about. It got SOOO hot at 2.9v I wound up giving up and running 260 x 10 (CPU stable to 2690 or so) @ 2.7v for a few weeks - ran all the tests I could find and it was rock solid but the memory still got way hotter than I thought it should. Then I started getting BSODs and from there it wasn't ever stable again with the Ballistix. :(

Great airflow, 75f ambient temp - but no active cooling on the RAM and IMHO, Ballistix absolutely require active cooling or they had a bad batch - or both.

well found out one of my sticks were bad .. one stick would throw errors at 200fsb .. no matter what .. took it out .. ran memtest on the other stick .. and it memtested up to 305fsb with no errors .. looping test 5 and 8

so i called crucial this morning to rma the one stick .. and this will be my 3rd rma .. and the tech support guy is like if it dies one more time .. im gonna have to say something else is wrong .. not the ram .. he is like i have been here for a long time and never have seen them fail ..

i was like talk to jim at tech support and read the computer forums .. there are tons of people that have rma'd mutilple times .. these sticks just die over time ..

he was like i seriously doubt it

i wish i could just get my money back .. cuz i dont feel like going thru this every 1-3 months

i did my rma through newegg. i hope if (more like when) my new ballistix die, i don't get the same BS about the it being my last RMA. if they pulled that on me, i would find every post about them going bad on the internet and see how to start a class action lawsuit (depending if it costs money). but all the evidence is here on the internet, their tech support must need some new glasses.

I also got a new set of RAM(now it's CL1115T.87) back from RMA and they no longer work for 4GB total(with my previous Ballistix CL1115J.KS) under the stock condition and at 200FSB. The set (CL1115J.KS) was purchased in Aug and has not die yet, but Both 3-3-3-8 and 3-4-4-8 don't work with 4GB. I haven't tried more loosen timing yet.

I used to be running 4GB with 2sets of Ballistix kit(1115J.KS and CL1115K.BH) and had no problem for 2 months. 1115J.KS suddenly died (as shown my earlier post)and RMA'd the set. This set gave me a tons of Memtest errors with in a hour at 200 FSB at 2.8V.

Now, if I load total of 4GB, windows crushed during the boot and 2.6V and 2.7V didn't get me to windows booting screen either. So I had to pull out 2 sticks to get it work. Now I'm running 2GB(1115T.87) at 220 with 2.8V which seems to give no error yet.

I seriously thinking to move on to other RAM....