Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to know the material number of the memory you all have gotten. Should be a 5 digit number on a sticker. What BIOS rev are you guys using? Are you all sticking with the stock 250MHz with a voltage of 2.8? If they all test fine with memtest but cause the system to fail or crash it may have to do with power. Have you tried 2T stable? What do you have the DRAM drive strength set to? I have a LanParty Ultra-D in the lab and will be testing it tomorrow to see what I can come up with. I will keep you all posted.

i have not yet gotten mine to show signs of failure in stress testing apps, but i am still having really weird issues that point to memory. i've had these sticks for about two months now. i am going to HCI test them tonight and see what happens. my sticks were not bought in a matched set and have the batch numbers CL1115K.BG and CL1115K.BF and both have a PN of 56278.

Hi Crucial guy!

Numbers on both sticks are as follows:

CL1115N.P4

BL 12864BLZ503 16TD

I tested at stock optimized settings for my board/proc (2ghz/200fsb) bios 623 -3 except for tref (from 3120 to auto) and had no problems. I slowly raised fsb, vcore, and vdimm thru 250 1:1 3338 vcore 1.425 vdimm 2.8 and got stable with dual prime95 for 8 hours. I eventually got to 260fsb with above settings and 3338 plugged in (not auto) and ran very stably for about 2 weeks before the trouble started. I suddenly started getting random lockups in WoW, random reboots, and errors in Prime95 from 1minute up to a couple hours. So, I started back at the beginning; cleared cmos, reset to optimized settings except for tref, everything auto and ran Prime95, still crapping at 1 minute to 2 hours. I've tried everything I can think of and a lot of things suggested on this board to try to get stable but can't seem to get there. The last thing I have done is upgraded to Bios 704-2bta, started over and have still yet to be stable at stock. Yesterday I ran memtest86 v1.60 from Tmod's boot disk for 12 hours and got 10 errors on test 3/ pass 15 and 24 errors on test 5 / pass 21 at 200fsb auto all except tref. I haven't tried 2t yet because I can't bear the thought of running 2t :shake: but perhaps I'll try it.... As for drive strength I think auto = 8. Also temps are all good on mobo, cpu33-45, pwmic 38-48, chipset 39-45 idle/load on air. Hope this info helps....

When did you purchase your Ballistix from Newegg and did it by chance ship from New Jersy? Just curious...

I got mine 10/26/2005 - and my order shipped from CA except the memory - it came out of NJ. I've never ordered anything from Newegg and had it come from NJ, guess they got a warehouse up there too.

I do hope mine doesn't drop dead! :confused:

When did you purchase your Ballistix from Newegg and did it by chance ship from New Jersy? Just curious...

I got them from Newegg on 9-11-2005. I am not sure which warehouse they came from.

I had to start with the memory timings tight, like 2.5-3-3-6. Then as I increased the fsb, I relaxed the timings. ;)

i spent about a week tweaking my config with this ram. i am currently running it at 275 1:1 3-3-3-7:[email protected]. i have problems with stability at 276 even with high latencies...odd. i tuned my timings down to the max by trial and error with a64 for days! check the first thumb in my signature to see the specific timing details. only other note not in the first pic is chipset @1.6v and using dimm 3+4 as the yellow sockets seam to yeild horrible results?... memtest and prime stable for at least 12 hours, and i fold 24/7. ive extensively tested it and its stable at these settings, ive been running it for about 7 days now so am curious to see if it will stay that way. it seams to me it will... its likely some of your timings are off. endless testing proved if a single time was off it rather easily effected stibility.

Ive started having problems with my ram too! 2x 1gb crucial ballistix tracer matched pair. got em from the UK site as an upgrade and worked perrrrfect bacin at the end of august. now they are coming up with memtest errors (tested for 2 hours and had 20+ errors) i have done ALL of the above but to no avail. looks like i will be sending back too :(