Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

running mine at 275 3-3-3-6 1t at 2.8v no problems so far, booted at 300 3-3-3-6 1t 2.8v but as to be expected that wasnt very stable... 275 appears to be fine though, with tighter than stock timings, and stock volts i have a 120mm fan blowing on my ram and my case is airconditioned most of the time, im thinking its definatly a heat issue killing everyone elses chips, something i obviously dont get.

Under normal circumstances pulling the heat spreaders off would void warranty, maybe if crucial, since this problem is so big, allowed a few people to pull them off and run proper ram sinks and see if this stopped it, without coiding their warranty in case it didnt work, would be very helpful. i for one wouldnt want to risk it and lose my warranty given how many have died, but if i got the ok from crucal to do it keeping my warrnty id be fine with it, then maybe in future these should ship with ramsinks not heatspreaders, as an option anyway because people running 4 sticks obviously couldnt use ramsinks, that is if they helped the problem anyway :dog:

I really like that idea! :nod:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried a hybrid of CrucialLabs's and Sharp's settings and so far it seems to be working fine. 7 hours and 9 passes into Memtest86+ yielded no errors. I'll go ahead and do a 36 hour test and if it passes that, I'll try for 264 (2.64 GHz=highest CPU speed I've tested to be stable).

I also forgot to ask, what chips does Crucial use with these sticks?

my ballistix just died, both sticks, with no warning at all, the board wont even post with them in, both sticks, 1 stick, no matter what slot, they dont work in any of my 3 computers either, for RMA these go, and in the meantime im stuck running one 512mb stick of ocz rated for a massive 2336 :rolleyes:

edit: bf2 will be awesome with 512 mb

I'll post them after I finish testing them with Memtest86+ (19 hours, 45 minutes and counting, 31 passes :D). I wish Memtest told me what voltage they were running at because I can't remember :P.

hitman012: Thanks for posting that. I wasn't sure if they used Micron chips or something else. I wonder what makes the chips run so hot...

should definitely be getting my replacement sticks on monday. i have rigged up a 92mm fan that i pulled from an old dual p3 box at work. it will run at 7v adjustable, hooked up to a fan controller. the ram in the pic below is my temporary corsair twinx which runs really cool at 2.6v. i have faith that this combination of fans will keep the ballistix a bit cooler. :)

pic

edit: it has also dropped my pwm temp by about 6C idle. double whammy.

I ended up getting one error about 26 or so hours into the test. I checked and I had the memory running at 2.6v, which makes the memory run relatively cool. The chip that got the error was on the first stick which is the one that's cooled by my 7700 (I thought both sticks were but after checking the airflow, only the first stick gets any air). I'll try raising the voltage to 2.7v. I've attached a picture of my settings, the ones on the bottom of the page are set to Auto/Normal.

On a good note, I was getting BSOD's with both 32 and 64 bit XP during bootup after I flashed the new BIOS and began testing the memory (MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION), but they appear to have disappeared :D.

10008497gm.th.jpg10008502yl.th.jpg

Batch numbers of mine are CL115L.35. I have mailed Crucial to ask for timings which they think will work at 200MHz (so I can run my CPU at stock). Everything is set to Auto.

If this doesn't work, they'll be RMAd.

So you bought PC4000 just to run at 200Mhz? You nuts! If it doesn't run 250Mhz then it should be RMA'ed.

looks like im gonna rma these sticks tomorrow .. i cant super pi or memtest without it failing AT STOCK .. on this dfi expert .. they fail on everything .. primed my cpu with small ffts or wutever .. and it primed fine for 10+ hours .. ram just seems to be the problem ..