Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

My old TD Ballistix ran so hot that I mounted an 80mm fan right over the top of the RAM slots. These new TD1's, however, run really cool. I'm still using the fan since it's already mounted, but the TD1's don't seem to need any extra cooling.

I mentioned it eralier in this thread, but I'll mention it again- I have always run my Ballistix at 2.6v. I tried all three sets at 2.7v and 2.8v and they were not as stable as they are at 2.6v. I'm just sharing my experience, YMMV.

I've noticed the same thing with mine. +2.6 is unstable. One day will work fine, next day a nightmare. Darnedest thing really... go fig.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried something like 2.76v once when sorting out my Opty issues, but they seemed to act the same. I leave them at 2.66v, 3-3-3-8, and they're as happy as a clam :). MT86+ and Prime95 blend show no errors. I also notice they run cooler, I no longer have to worry about burning my finger when I touch them :P.

Hopefully everyone else continues to have good luck with them too.

Drifting - Crucial have a 48 hour turnaround, You post them on monday, they get them on tuesday and send a new set out which is with you before 1pm wednesday. Excellent would be the answer to that 1 ;)

Really? They told me 5 - 7 days hence my comment about buying other memory. Oh well mine are boxed up and ready to go today. Wonder if the replacements will just plug in and work, without changing this that and the other in the bios. I am running out of virgins to sacrifice to get the bios settings working...

Paul.

Let me know when you get them and I will try to help you with memory BIOS settings. PM me all your other BIOS settings for starters. Also confirm that you have all the required power points on the board connected e.g 24 pin, 4 pin and floppy connector.

The more input the merrier - lets compare BIOS settings and see what works best. overall, Check mine on page 69. I am tweaking the base settings I recommended to try and get fully prime stable @ DDR580 on 180 divider. Now trying out strength 6/2 and counter disabled to see if it makes a difference to stabulity- will see how long they last on prime with 2.6v.

You guys all say 3-3-3-8. I have those settings on Auto (and CPC as well) and it defaults to 3-3-3-7 1T all the way up to 280MHz. It will then default to 3-3-3-8- 1T up to 300MHz. I've not played with them further than that. One of you guys who really knows RAM could have a field day with this set that I have. They are not stable at 300MHz with everything on Auto, but it will boot into Windows. I can't remember if I need to bump the voltage to get 300MHz. I may have, but I am the TokeMaster so sometimes my short term memory fails me...

Download A64info and have a look at your settings. You should find that the auto settings are pretty loose and could be tightened up to speed up your memory. Run superpi 1MB test and see how many seconds it takes - that will give you a good indication. If your systems stable and your happy and dont want to overclock that okay as well!

I don't think DFI motherboards have problems with Crucial Ballistix memory. They work better than OCZ and G.SKILL for me. If you are having trouble, post your Genie BIOS settings and maybe we can help you.

I don't think DFI motherboards have problems with Crucial Ballistix memory. They work better than OCZ and G.SKILL for me. If you are having trouble, post your Genie BIOS settings and maybe we can help you.

I will do that :cool:

The thing is that I took these modules to 2 friends,

1 with Gigabyte board and the other had a ASUS board,

both high end SLI boards,

The simply loved my memory and whant to buy it from me:mad:

No errors(ran memtest for 2hours on both), just sweet sweet SPEED!

For a noob like me,

why do I have to tweak my BIOS to get them working on my board :confused:

Why don't it just fly like on other brands????

One interesting thing that has come to light whilst my HyperX is away. My motherboard is still reluctant to start first time. Even with another set of memory? (currently running with 2x256 533 modules) Wonder if I have MB problems as well?