Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

There was a bad batch of memory. This was resolved long ago. Had nothing to do with DFI or any board. It was a Micron issue. Also most ppl weren't cooling them as should have been. Micron usually gets a tad hot. You put a fan over them and keep them cool. I do that with ALL my mem modules.

I know it really doesn't show that I used Ballistix but they were 512 x 2 ddr 400. Best DDR sticks I have ever had. I had like 4 sticks too. I had a pair of .16 and a pair of .8. Double and single sided. All stable. Super Pii tested.

It wasn't a bad batch, it was a bad design. The TD1 revision appears to have resolved the problem. 2 sets of my TD sticks died @ 2.6v with active cooling. It was also only a problem with the 1GB sticks; to the best of my knowledge no 512MB sticks have had any problems.

Some people seem to be under the impression that the problem did not occur in the Tracer sticks. That is incorrect, both of my sets that died were Tracers.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my 2x512mb of ballistix went faulty today, i couldnt extract any archive and had random crashes all of a sudden, thing never happened before. I was running them at only 2.8 volt and with a fan always blowing over them.

This sucks.

Thank god i had a pair of old corsair around...

There was a bad batch of memory. This was resolved long ago. Had nothing to do with DFI or any board. It was a Micron issue. Also most ppl weren't cooling them as should have been. Micron usually gets a tad hot. You put a fan over them and keep them cool. I do that with ALL my mem modules.

I know it really doesn't show that I used Ballistix but they were 512 x 2 ddr 400. Best DDR sticks I have ever had. I had like 4 sticks too. I had a pair of .16 and a pair of .8. Double and single sided. All stable. Super Pii tested.

ram shouldn't require active cooling. if it does, then it's not any good to begin with.

the bad memory was the 1gb sticks of ballistix ddr500, not ddr400.

I have tried desperately to understand what most of you are referring to in the ram settings. Sorry to have to say that I am even more confused than I was before.

Can someone with the same setup as myself please let me know exactly what settings I should have for the ram? According to Crucial support it should be 3-4-4-8 Which means nothing to me? What does each setting equate to? is it CAS,TRDC,TRAS,TRP in that order?

I have my board set to :-

Dram Freq, 200 01/01

CPC disabled

CAS 3

TRCD 4

TRAS 4

TRP 4

TRC 8

TRFC auto

TRRD 2

TWR 2

TWTR 2

TRWT 3

TREF auto

TWCL auto

FSB Bus Freq 250

Ratio X4.0

Dram volt 2.8

Spent hours trying to get it to fire up, only managed to get it to work with a single dimm, then went and changed settings till I could get it to boot properly. Have also updated the bios to 04/06/2006.

Regards

I have tried desperately to understand what most of you are referring to in the ram settings. Sorry to have to say that I am even more confused than I was before.

Can someone with the same setup as myself please let me know exactly what settings I should have for the ram? According to Crucial support it should be 3-4-4-8 Which means nothing to me? What does each setting equate to? is it CAS,TRDC,TRAS,TRP in that order?

Dram Freq, 200 01/01 same

CPC disabled enabled

CAS 3 auto

TRCD 4 auto

TRAS 4 auto

TRP 4 auto

TRC 8 12

TRFC auto 24

TRRD 2 3

TWR 2 3

TWTR 2 2

TRWT 3 3

TREF auto 3120

TWCL auto (I didn't see this one?)

FSB Bus Freq 250

Ratio X4.0 auto

Dram volt 2.8 2.6 (all 3 sets of my Ballistix ran better @ 2.6v than 2.8v, YMMV)

Spent hours trying to get it to fire up, only managed to get it to work with a single dimm, then went and changed settings till I could get it to boot properly. Have also updated the bios to 04/06/2006.

Regards

The numbers in red are my settings.

This guide will explain what the different settings do. Memory guide

It appears that you are OCing your system. I think you should get your RAM stable with HTT/FSB 200 before moving on to 250- yes the RAM is rated to run @ DDR500 stock, but the system is being overclocked to get there.

Make sure your RAM is in the orange slots. For some reason if I remove my RAM the BIOS likes to just see one stick in the outer orange slot on the next boot. I then shut it down, install the second stick and it will be fine. I have no idea why the mobo does this, but it does it nonetheless.

Good luck.

Dram Freq, 200 01/01

CPC disabled

CAS 3

TRCD 4

TRAS 4

TRP 4

TRC 8

TRFC auto

TRRD 2

TWR 2

TWTR 2

TRWT 3

TREF auto

TWCL auto

FSB Bus Freq 250

Ratio X4.0

Dram volt 2.8

Regards

Also, no 2 sticks of ram are the same, SO there is no set settings for this ram. Its all trial and error unfortunatly but if you want to run just 250 from them, you may be able put the voltage as low as 2.6 as it will put less straign on them. ALot of people are able to do this. If not 2.7 should do for sure ;)

Thanks Guys for the reply, I set the voltage as per Crucials support, so will take your advice and lower it. It was the other setting I was concerned about 3-4-4-8 ? What exactly does that equate to?

What prompted all the questions was a bios update, as in default auto settings I could not even get the machine to boot. Many hours of faffing about got it to run.

Regards Paul.

@ NeilSouth- Are those TD or TD1 sticks? They have a lifetime warranty, so it shouldn't cost you anything but shipping to replace them.

Well what i could do then is once i get my gskill put them in, then sell my newly replaced rma'd ballistix...

Ill let u know which ones they are but these are the second set ive had, pre-summer arrival..

Neil - I had very simalar ones than you but mine went again. I had to replace them again but the ones i have now are fine. TD1's and are even better. And as you can see from this post, they seem to have sorted it cause no ones complaining anymore. RMA them and keep them, THey are better than the g-skills and now work as they should ;)