Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After waiting a couple of days after the supposed ship date, I contacted them again. They said the ship date was pushed back to the 20th (what a surprise :P). After a bit of prodding, the supervisor agreed to send me some Tracers instead, since they're in stock for some reason. Hopefully with the addition of the two day shipping the other tech gave me last week, they should be here by the end of this week :D.

Can anyone show me some settings to use with the NF4 SLI-DR for 2x1024 ballistix? I'm currently using the 704-2bta bios. I've tried 3 different BIOSes upto now and spent over 5hrs trying settings but I can't find anything that gives me stable results. I've tried almost all the settings in the overclocking database and none of them seem to give me stability.

While typing this post I am using the optimised defaults and SPD settings at 2.8v but it is not prime stable and fails on 8m super pi.

Is it a new set of memory or one you've had for a few months? I found that I couldn't get mine stable unless I lowered the voltage, probably from heat issues. Either try that or put a spare fan on the memory.

I've had it for approx. 2 months or so but I've never had it 100% stable and used to get BSODs at random times. I have a feeling it is the heat issues as I've had quite a few BSODs this week (hot week). Even with my AC on its struggling to keep 5 computers cool.

I'll try and stick an extra fan on it and see if it helps

After waiting a couple of days after the supposed ship date, I contacted them again. They said the ship date was pushed back to the 20th (what a surprise :P). After a bit of prodding, the supervisor agreed to send me some Tracers instead, since they're in stock for some reason. Hopefully with the addition of the two day shipping the other tech gave me last week, they should be here by the end of this week :D.

good for you! let us know how they perform. i was going to call crucial today to see what's up, but your reported ship date of the 20th makes sense. i'll call next week if i don't have them yet.

Well, about 5min ago my ballistix just died on me. I'm glad in a way since I have an excuse to put by ocz back in. These ocz booted up nice'n'easy on spd settings even with 4 sticks.

Gunna phone crucial tomorrow and rma them. If I'm still having trouble with them booting at stock speeds then I'll just go and sell 'em on Ebay. Super fast 1 gig sticks, too bad they have a crappy lifetime.

Yep, that's what typically happens with them. They work fine for a while then gradually deteriorate into nothingness. The voltage and temperature they run at dictate how long that process takes though. Your set lasted about as long as my first one did, and under similar circumstances (2.8v, no dedicated fan). Good luck with the replacements :).

Does anyone happen to know if crucial offer refunds/different product replacements in their RMAs or just more of the same? After reading here and XS forums and seeing how many people have RMA'd their sticks I can't be bothered to try again with them.

If not I suppose I can flog em on eBay.

Does anyone happen to know if crucial offer refunds/different product replacements in their RMAs or just more of the same? After reading here and XS forums and seeing how many people have RMA'd their sticks I can't be bothered to try again with them.

If not I suppose I can flog em on eBay.

only if you originally bought them from crucial directly. or, by luck you talk to the right person or supervisor. i wasn't a lucky one.

They tend to be replacements of more of the same (and they seem to be quite strict about no refunds after 30 days), but apparently if you pressure them enough, they may switch you to Tracers instead, as was my case. They told me that if I RMA'ed the Tracers, they would replace them with regular Ballistix.

I guess they really got on the ball today when I chatted with them, they already have my stuff boxed up and sent off to UPS, although without the 2-day shipping the other tech said I would get. Ah well, I'm fine with them getting here on Thursday anyways, I'm working the rest of the week so I wouldn't have time to play with them :P.