Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

HI All

Would appear my RMA set of 3200 is on its way out as well.Will only run with no errors on memtest if i point a fan at it.

Ran fine at first on 2.5v now needs 2.8v.

Smiffy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fiest ive heard of the 3200 failing this is. May be an isolated case but as you said, seems to fail the same way, keeping requiring more and more volts and lower timings.

As for me, im still waiting for new stock. This will be my 3rd and absolutly, no questions asked, last if these ones fail. If they aint sorted the problem out now, they should at least admit a problem and refund people. Isnt just dispatching new sticks costing them money as well, it doesnt make business sense to do that

I've actually mentioned it before but my 512mb PC3200 x 2 failed in similar circumstances as well. I eventually got it refunded and took the leap to 2gb but with Corsair Valuesticks (don't tell angry/happy :-P)

Although I have to say, I think some of you are missing the point. I'm not going to comment on Crucial's handling, QC etc. But it's quite clear that Crucial either hasn't know what the problem is for quite a while or at least hasn't found a cost effective way to fix it. Perhaps they know what it is now or they have always known but it costs way too much to fix. But does anyone really seriously think if Crucial knew what the problem was and had a cost effective way to fix it they would just keep sending out the sticks which are likely to have problems to customers who are going to have problems? Of course not. They will only send out the sticks they know are unlikely to have problems. They may not admit the problem or anything of that sort. But there is simply no way they would continually send out the product which has a problem to the customer who is likely to have the problem when they have a cost effective fix. They might still send out these defective sticks as normal shipments if they have a lot of stock of them. But the customers who had the problem and so are likely to have it again if they send out the defective sticks would not be receiving the defective sticks.

Most likely Crucial simply didn't or doesn't know what the problem is. Perhaps they could have done more testing, provided better support etc. But it is silly to suggest that they knew what the problem was, had a cost effective way to fix it but then simply didn't bother...

i would just like to comment, i started posting in this thread back around nov of last year.

I was getting problems with 2.8v when i first received them, turned them to 2.6 never had a hitch since.

been running the timing in my sig ever since, even the advanced timings for what i ran for the database still run smoothly..

Another thing is that when windows loads up, Sometimes (50%) i hear the HDD do like a click sound, and it sits there for a minute or 2, then carries on!!!! Sometimes its faster than lightning. I get this with both maxtor & WD/raptor.

wheel, ive gotten that a handful of times (maybe 5-6 times in 10 months) with my rig aswell, it def seems like a hardware issue to do with either the hd or the psu, but i have never been able to pinpoint it as it only lasts ~30 seconds for me (never at a specific point) and then everything jumps ahead back to normal as if nothing ever happened

i would just like to comment, i started posting in this thread back around nov of last year.

I was getting problems with 2.8v when i first received them, turned them to 2.6 never had a hitch since.

been running the timing in my sig ever since, even the advanced timings for what i ran for the database still run smoothly..

wheel, ive gotten that a handful of times (maybe 5-6 times in 10 months) with my rig aswell, it def seems like a hardware issue to do with either the hd or the psu, but i have never been able to pinpoint it as it only lasts ~30 seconds for me (never at a specific point) and then everything jumps ahead back to normal as if nothing ever happened

WOW, scratch that, i tested like a month ago and all was fine, just tested today from re-reading this thread and posting, and i started to get errors within 5 seconds of turning on memtest in bios.

Now these cant be system critical errors as i play games, watch shows, download, and everything above 24/7 on this beast, and it rarely if ever hiccups. But, i can imaging it is costing me somewhere in system performance.

Am i correct in reading that newegg will refund for these? it has been ~8-10 months since i purchased them.

I would also like to know what people have been very pleased with for replacments? i will probobly order differnt sets before getting these refunded as ive got the preffered account with them

My 3rd set of Ballistix has just died.

Despite never overclocking or overvolting them, Crucial was still blaming me and my hardware for the modules dying.

They've definitely lost a customer for life.

Liquidfire: I had the same thing happen to my last set. They got all screwy at 2.8v when I got them, but I turned them down to 2.66 or so and they lasted for many months before dying.

grunjee: They said the same thing to me when I was having problems right after I got my second set. The guy said that the DFI boards are picky and have to be set up a certain way to get them to work right. The tech on the phone actually pointed me to this forum and told me to test out some various settings in this thread first (if you go back to the first few pages, you'll see them :P). That did help prolong them but they still died in the end.

Well, they said the next new shipment will be out on the 13th, so I guess we'll find out what will happen later this week...

People using low voltage, you should use 2.8v from day one and nothing else.

Maybe it is something to do with Crucial design spec for the PCB.

TeamGroup and a few other manufacturers use Micron Chips and don't get this problem.

(just a thought).

Thanks for the avice sharp, but i did run them @ 2.8 from the start and they would get memtest errors right from the getgo, and thats with active cooling.

I ran 2.6 and they ran fine for nearly 10 months.

on another note i think ive narrowed it down to this for the replacments

1) OCZ CZ5002048EBPE-K2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227225

closest to the timings and speed that the ballistix can do i believe

TeamGroup and a few other manufacturers use Micron Chips and don't get this problem.

(just a thought).

Glad you mentioned that Sharp.Was looking to get 2gb anyway but was worried as the Teamgroup uses same Micron chips.Price seems quite good for 3,3,3,8 timings.Either that or OCZ EB 4000.Ta

Smiffy

sharp, i would like to point out, i didnt get errors @ my timings when i recieved the sticks, and even roughly a month ago still didnt. But whats even more, i didnt know, and still couldnt tell you im getting errors unless i run memtest.

maybe it seems stable for them and is not? maybe they recieved some nice cherries? just seems odd that the majority of us in this thread have had excuciating problems with these sticks, yet manufacs and groups do not.

(just a thought).

Like several other people here, running them at 2.8 V gave me errors... and I did try 2.8 V with all 3 of my sets from day one. None of my sets would run without errors unless I set the Vdimm to 2.5.