Sign in to follow this  
ed_jacobson

NF4 Ultra-D Step by Step New Build

Hey, I just want to thank Ed for this list. It has helped a lot with my set up.

I'm working on my build tonight (Specs in sig) and I have a few questions.

1. When do I flash my BIOS? I want to flash my BIOS to the 510-2 but I've never flashed a BIOS before. Do I do it after I get Windows installed?

2. I was looking at Rgone's and A_G's BIOS settings and something came to mind. Under DRAM Configuration I noticed you have certain timings set for the RAM. The RAM I have right now has 2-2-2-5 timings, am I suposed to change what's in the BIOS to what RGone has or should I set it specifically for my RAM?

3. I've never run Memtest86 before. How long does memtest take to run? Are there multiple tests? Which should I run when setting up the computer?

More questions to come if I can think of any.

You flash the BIOS on first boot normally. This way the good BIOS is installed when you are setting the rig up.

RAM timings are critical. Most high quality RAM will run at AUTO. You should be OK with the OCZ RAM.

Memtest is an option in the BIOS. It will run until you reboot and enter the BIOS to turn it off. I run memtest for a minimum of 5 hours to qualify my RAM before attempting an OS install.

Hey, I just want to thank Ed for this list. It has helped a lot with my set up.

I'm working on my build tonight (Specs in sig) and I have a few questions.

1. When do I flash my BIOS? I want to flash my BIOS to the 510-2 but I've never flashed a BIOS before. Do I do it after I get Windows installed?

2. I was looking at Rgone's and A_G's BIOS settings and something came to mind. Under DRAM Configuration I noticed you have certain timings set for the RAM. The RAM I have right now has 2-2-2-5 timings, am I suposed to change what's in the BIOS to what RGone has or should I set it specifically for my RAM?

3. I've never run Memtest86 before. How long does memtest take to run? Are there multiple tests? Which should I run when setting up the computer?

More questions to come if I can think of any.

Question, what am i supposed to connect to the 2 additional (floppy & harddrive) connections. Am i supposed to hook up a hardrive and a floppy and connect to that? Cause I'm lost .. this is my PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817103937

If you have connected from your power supply to the motherboard 4 pin molex connector (you are calling a HD connector) and the floppy 4 pin connector on the motherboard is served with the power supply floppy cable type connector you are done.

sparx

I'm at this step...

18. Second boot. Enter BIOS. Set Update ESCD/will update DMI pool.

I booted up and went into BIOS but I can't find anything that says "Update ESCD." I did check my CPU temps while searching (43-45 degrees).

A couple other questions after reading through this thread...

1. I can't slipstream my WinXP cd but I do have SP2 on a cd I ordered from Microsoft. Will this be a problem?

2. After I get past step 18 (above) and install my drives, should I flash the BIOS to 623-3 or stay with the factory BIOS until something has problems?

3. BIOS settings. This has me scratching my head. Are there things I definitely need to set or will the system self-configure on its own? If I do need to set things manually, how will I know what I need for my system? Is everyone sending in screen shots and letting the veterans guide them? If so, I have a digital camera and can supply screens.

Thanks!

scrapser

In step 28, I would also suggest NOT installing the USB2.0 drivers from the CD (if you are installing XP). Windows XP will install the USB2.0 drivers correctly.

Well the last time it was asked, the answer didn't seem clear to me. Looking at the Ultra-D manual PDF, on page 61 it says ...

"If you are using two graphics cards, we

recommend that you plug power cables from your power supply

unit into the two 5V/12V power connectors. This will provide more

stability to the entire system. The system board will still work even if

the additional power connectors are not connected." (ooo, I do love copy & paste from PDF in OS X's Preview)

So, if I'm not doing SLI, but I plan to OC, is it a "do it if you find it makes it stable" thing or recommended to do it anyway? I'd prefer less cable clutter, but whatever makes it stable...

It is in your best interest to use all four of the power connections. This has been established many times in the forum even if you are running a bare system.

My rig Erzebet is running a lowly Radeon 300XL and is much more stable at speed with all four connections made.

Well the last time it was asked, the answer didn't seem clear to me. Looking at the Ultra-D manual PDF, on page 61 it says ...

"If you are using two graphics cards, we

recommend that you plug power cables from your power supply

unit into the two 5V/12V power connectors. This will provide more

stability to the entire system. The system board will still work even if

the additional power connectors are not connected." (ooo, I do love copy & paste from PDF in OS X's Preview)

So, if I'm not doing SLI, but I plan to OC, is it a "do it if you find it makes it stable" thing or recommended to do it anyway? I'd prefer less cable clutter, but whatever makes it stable...

My bad, I obvious skipped around in the thread and didn't see it answered earlier. So since the meat of this thread was written back in the stone age, should I just skip the CD install and install the latest nforce drivers off the web? I'm not planning on doing raid or using the built-in firewall.

It doesn't hurt to use the files on the CD. I do that with every build and haven't had a problem yet!

My bad, I obvious skipped around in the thread and didn't see it answered earlier. So since the meat of this thread was written back in the stone age, should I just skip the CD install and install the latest nforce drivers off the web? I'm not planning on doing raid or using the built-in firewall.

It is in your best interest to use all four of the power connections. This has been established many times in the forum even if you are running a bare system.

My rig Erzebet is running a lowly Radeon 300XL and is much more stable at speed with all four connections made.

Correct me if I'm wrong then...

Assuming I plug all 4 things in....

1) I won't need to plug the 4 pin power thing into my floppy drive, and only use the FDD cable as that supplies power.

Anything else? What about hard drives? What does the 4-pin molex allow me to do?

NO!

The floppy data cable does not supply power to the drive.

I have a floppy power slitter cable that cost $1.50 at the egg. Prior to that I would use the cable for the floppy drive during the install then move it back to the mobo connector as soon as the OS install was complete.

There are four power connections on the mobo to deliver current to the areas that need it most. While the mobo will run with just the 24pin ATX and 4pin CPU power connections, you will rarely get it stable.

The floppy and 4pin Molex connections are placed where they are for a specific reason.

Correct me if I'm wrong then...

Assuming I plug all 4 things in....

1) I won't need to plug the 4 pin power thing into my floppy drive, and only use the FDD cable as that supplies power.

Anything else? What about hard drives? What does the 4-pin molex allow me to do?