Sign in to follow this  
ed_jacobson

NF4 Ultra-D Step by Step New Build

As some one new to building their own computer, I was excited to see Ed's guide and RGone's setup guide for the DFI bios. But I must admit, I'm wavering between getting an "easier" MSI Neo4 board over the DFI NF4 Ultra. I've swapped out parts for years but might as well be reading Greek when it comes to bios settings I see on RGone's sticky.

Getting in over my head is something that I don't mind doing but it's a little nerve racking dropping $2k on a whole new system just to not have it work. From Ed's guide and from RGone's settings I'm fairly certain that I'll go with DFI but I'm wondering if MSI wouldn't be a better fit now until I get my feet wet. I know its pretty stupid to ask the question on DFI's board but what do people think from a newbie perspective?

B

I have been reading on MSI and they are not having a cake walk with their NF4.

In addition most of the ground work is done on the DFI, all you need to do is read the threads.

very nice guys, I spent 11hundie quid on a new setup, just to get back in the big league's ;) thing that interested me was the SLI and the new gen athlon 64, . if i had this kinda knowledge and support back when i was a noob, think i would be an engineer at dfi now ;) keep it up guys this works well.

PEACE

:nod:

DFI SLi-D 3/10/2005 bios

2 x 512 OCZ gold VX 3200

athlon 3500+

XP-120 Thermalright HS

2 x 6800GT Gigabyte

Hi,

First, allow me to thank you guys for a great thread here.

This is the first time I'm getting a DFi product. My initial purchase 6 months ago was the ASUS A8V Deluxe. Its a good stable board but not particularly suited to obtaining bleeding edge performance.

I was quite hesistant to get the DFi board because of the initial hiccups. Noe that I see a whole forum dedicated to customers with active Mods, lets say I'm more than impressed!

SuperNade> I think you likely said it more or less correctly. Asus makes good boards that have problems as well. You have but to check the Asus forums to see that.

But here you have as fine a class of people as can normally be found anywhere in the world and better than most. Mods? Oh there a couple of hangers ons but it is the peeps man that make it go round and round. AG and I just sort of be here at times to sort a few things but the people knowing and having been there and done it and willing to share is the thing.

Good luck and welcome.

RGone... :confused: as usual.

Hi,

First, allow me to thank you guys for a great thread here.

This is the first time I'm getting a DFi product. My initial purchase 6 months ago was the ASUS A8V Deluxe. Its a good stable board but not particularly suited to obtaining bleeding edge performance.

I was quite hesistant to get the DFi board because of the initial hiccups. Noe that I see a whole forum dedicated to customers with active Mods, lets say I'm more than impressed!

Been sitting here for nearly a week trying to absorb (become assimilated comes to mind lol) and have my dfi-sli dr on the way. I still cant confirm in any of angrys great sticky threads on supported memory if my xms corsair twin 1024-3200 llpt 2-3-2.5-7 will work. They just came off of prime95 about 10 minutes ago from an all night run and 0 errors, zip, nada, no way. So I'll assume their in prime (get it, prime) shape. I see lots of close relatives of my corsair in there, so I guess I'll have to wait and see if it posts when I plug it in the first time. And will Mr. Jacobsens install guide be the same one I use for the dr board. It only says in his thread that he's using an ultra-D? Sorry for the noob questions, Just trying to learn. That and finding out if the sata seagate ncq drives are any better than the non ncq sata seagates. If I knew my memory would at least get it up and going (I think it prolly will) then I could order the two new sata seagates instead of new memory.

Here is where the 'rub' comes in T__T.>

if my xms corsair twin 1024-3200 llpt 2-3-2.5-7 will work.

1. You may 'never' see your particular memory on any 'run once' by DFI list. It could well be old or even unobtainable anymore. Did not say it was> said it could.

2. Actually DFI is not in the memory business. They release a board with some generic testing to see if any sticks of memory can make a 'tried' list. I often have wondered where we or anyone came up with the term 'recommended' memory list. I am not sure DFI is recommending but rather merely stating that they in Lab conditions in Taiwan have at least booted the board with "X" type of memory in the slots. And at board defaults. I did not say memory defaults but board defaults of 200FSB.

3. The memory makers make memory and know memory and test memory and make money from selling memory. Most of the 'top name' memory manufacturers have the DFI boards for testing their memory on DFI boards. They can test batches of memory as the modules on the sticks change and make 'their' memory recommendations 'accordingly'. DFI will never ever be afforded such luxury nor make real sense to be accorded such.

Case in point. I had a kind user to tech support write and ask me about X more than a little off-brand memory and how it would work on the NF4. I suggested his best place of knowledge would be the ones in the memory making industry. So he contacted the memory maker and low and behold they wrote back that 'their' memory would not work on the DFI NF4 boards. Hot d*amn, honesty is not dead. So he returned the memory during his "window of return opportunity" and got some that is known to work. Now that was how it should have been done and not the other way around wanting a mobo maker to try and test thousands upon thousands of sticks that vary by batch to try and determine what memory works.

Now bring that straight into the context of your memory wonderment about LLPT memory. I think I have seen users mention that stuff up thru revision 4.1 or so if not mistaken in my thoughts. Why is it in revision? Because the maker changed it. Good or bad changes? Don't know! Contact the memory manufacturer that has or had all their own revisions and see what they have to respond with.

And the search feature in the forum when told to search for say LLPT can look for that in signatures. Can look for it in the body of the posts and even the title of posts. That search tool is possibly the best tool there is related to computering in the whole of the world. Try it and see what hops up about LLPT.

This is how one can best equip his ownself. Going any other route or any other method is asking people in a poor position to validate for him an outcome and in the use of computers I have for 6 years now after moving to hi performance boards exclusively been always told that the real truth is YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary.

I figured to take the time to shed some light on the subject in a more reality based situation, since you say you have lurked and looked. Use the search button and let it sort you some looking. Do your best to learn the answers. Bare the burden of responsibility on your shoulders and always be prepared to change course if need be. Some products are just not compatible with each other. System intergrators bear the the burden of parts working together and have engineers to validate such and in cases like Dell computers may even have a special built setup for them to use in their systems to make a working system. When you build your "own" you take on the validation process yourself. It becomes you the one time system intergrator for each build you attempt. That is often overlooked. You position yourself as validation engineer.

This is the page link I copied the text from and this is what is said and holds true thru-out the motherboard industry and is why there are Dells, Gateways and such in the world.

Copied from DFI FAQ page>>This section intends to provide a high quality support for all DFI customers. You should be able to find the solutions to some of your problems from this site.

However, please first check with your local resellers/system integrators if you have any problems and enquiries, because the one who integrated your system should have all the necessary configurations and is in the best position to assist you.

Any problems/questions that cannot be handled by your local resellers will be forwarded to us and we will provide them with answers as soon as possible.

Now there is just a glance into the real world of computering and as such is subject to change without notice just as nearly any manual for any purchased item says somewhere with: "specifications subject to change without notice".

Hope this helps you in your drive decision making, but if I were unsure and had only X to spend to dig out of a hole if my memory needed to be swapped out or re-purchase made> I would hold off on drive purchase until I knew the other parts and pieces worked as I desired and keep me some change on the back hip to ward off the unseen.

RGone... :confused: more than ever.

EDIT: and one last thought that is paramount in getting perhaps your personal answer beyond your own research> Make your own thread so that those of us who have already been in a long 4 page thread and nOt subject to go back and look in the thread much because we 'know' the basics of the thread and 'feel' the user reading and posting late in a thread has or should have gathered all he needed from the long discussion and we jump over the long threads until browsing at our leisure. So a question may stay buried for a while with no answer from those that might go ahead and open a short thread and look. I did not say you should not always use the search button before posting but when posting in a long thread> your valid question gets overlooked. RGone...Again...

Been sitting here for nearly a week trying to absorb (become assimilated comes to mind lol) and have my dfi-sli dr on the way. I still cant confirm in any of angrys great sticky threads on supported memory if my xms corsair twin 1024-3200 llpt 2-3-2.5-7 will work. They just came off of prime95 about 10 minutes ago from an all night run and 0 errors, zip, nada, no way. So I'll assume their in prime (get it, prime) shape. I see lots of close relatives of my corsair in there, so I guess I'll have to wait and see if it posts when I plug it in the first time. And will Mr. Jacobsens install guide be the same one I use for the dr board. It only says in his thread that he's using an ultra-D? Sorry for the noob questions, Just trying to learn. That and finding out if the sata seagate ncq drives are any better than the non ncq sata seagates. If I knew my memory would at least get it up and going (I think it prolly will) then I could order the two new sata seagates instead of new memory.

More important than NCQ support is SATA II support. You will be much better served by getting a drive with SATA II support since it includes NCQ than an SATA drive with NCQ.

NCQ will improve performance when multi I/O request are made which is not done often in a single user environment.

The improvement in data throughput with SATA II is much more valuable in your system.

25. I would say that prime is the ultimate test of stability, although superpi 8M and over can give you a good indication of stability.. I would suggest that when you overclock, you test your system with superpi 8M and if there are no errors then keep going up or begin prime.. but if there is an error in the SuperPi 8M run then you have to change some settings.. I have read that prime should be run for 8 - 15 hours to really test stability, so leaving it overnight is the best way to do it.. Just make sure that you check your temps at full load and make sure they are not too high (they should stabalize after 15 - 30 mins of prime).. Prime blend runs the processor and ram at 100% for hours and finds errors, but after 8 - 15 hours of running prime if no errors then your system can be branded stalbe (the longer the better though)..

Dumb question, but how can I check my temps in windows?

Thanks

27.5 - When you run the MB driver setup it asks to install Direct X 9 firest. So you may want to grab that . (This is the nVidia Drivers, since the CD's you get wiht video card and things are generally not up-to-date).

Otherwise good guide, and i think Sticky material.

Maybe iclude the RAID tuorial so that people can pick out thebits they neednad install with no hassles.