Sign in to follow this  
ed_jacobson

NF4 Ultra-D Step by Step New Build

Link just worked for me!

on step 31, the link from pcmag doesnt work......can you fix it for me??

and i have windows XP corporate edition but im not sure if it's SP1 or SP2, can i still do the slipstream??

24. Install OS (Windows XP Home) and format hard drive. EDIT: For clarity this procedure is in this order. During install of WinO/s drives will be partitioned and then formatted to be able to use them and then Install of O/s continues. One additional note at this point. I would strongly urge using an install CD that has had WinXP SP2 slipstreamed into it; as it has updated drivers and DirectX9.0C in that SP2.

What if you already have winxp installed on a hard drive. No install needed I would assume just plug and go.

If you already have the OS installed on the drive and the OS was already installed on that chipset, you can skip that step. BUT!

These instructions are for a new build. Moving an OS install from one chipset to another is an exercise in brain damage.

If you just absolutely have to keep the same OS install when moving to a new chipset, you should see my thread on using sysprep to have the best chance of success.

link goodness...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5360

24. Install OS (Windows XP Home) and format hard drive. EDIT: For clarity this procedure is in this order. During install of WinO/s drives will be partitioned and then formatted to be able to use them and then Install of O/s continues. One additional note at this point. I would strongly urge using an install CD that has had WinXP SP2 slipstreamed into it; as it has updated drivers and DirectX9.0C in that SP2.

What if you already have winxp installed on a hard drive. No install needed I would assume just plug and go.

Just got to the end... :drool:

Within this thread, I read someone mention N-lite OS as a way to integrate sys drivers into the installation, but no follow up comments from the l33t gurus.

Q1: Is N-Lite a better way of an OS install versus separate driver install after OS? Q2: Would I still need to install SATA drivers from floppy during install with N'Lite integrated drivers on the XP-SP2 CD?

The use of nLite has been covered in several different threads. If you integrate the drivers you will not need the floppy to install the OS and the device drivers will load with the OS on first boot.

This can cut a substantial amount of time off of a system rebuild especially if you customize it with your regular settings like the network name, time zone and the Product Key.

Just got to the end... :drool:

Within this thread, I read someone mention N-lite OS as a way to integrate sys drivers into the installation, but no follow up comments from the l33t gurus.

Q1: Is N-Lite a better way of an OS install versus separate driver install after OS? Q2: Would I still need to install SATA drivers from floppy during install with N'Lite integrated drivers on the XP-SP2 CD?

After which step in post #49 should I be running prime95 to test stability?

Should I start running it after installing xp-sp2? (Step 27)

I normally wait until I've got my baseline software installed since OCCT and prime95 are part of that group which get installed on every rig.

Sorry if this has already been adressed, but after I determine that everything is working properly--hopefully this is the case--should I take the 1 stick of RAM from the top orange DIMM and place my two sticks of RAM in the two yellow DIMMS or should I use the two orange DIMMs?

Thanks.

Followed the guide and it worked like a charm, thanks! Two minor questions though.

on a19. Dram Data Drive Strength = Level 4.

The max option I have is 3, so it's set to this. Should I have a 4 and if not is 3 ok? Currently it's set to AUTO.

and

a26 32 bye grannularity = Disable 8 Bursts.

I only had the option to disable 4 bursts, so I did that. Same question, why only the option for 4 and will it be ok.

Followed the guide and it worked like a charm, thanks! Two minor questions though.

on a19. Dram Data Drive Strength = Level 4.

The max option I have is 3, so it's set to this. Should I have a 4 and if not is 3 ok? Currently it's set to AUTO.

and

a26 32 bye grannularity = Disable 8 Bursts.

I only had the option to disable 4 bursts, so I did that. Same question, why only the option for 4 and will it be ok.

most of us use the 7/04-2BTA bios these days and with that bios you don't have to change any of the lower-half DRAM settings (like drive strength, max asynch latency, etc....just leave them on auto or whatever they default to)