Sign in to follow this  
GXP345

Tired of noisy chipset fan? DFI nF4 solution (modem warning!)

comp2.jpg

Cooling surface specs:

HeatSLInk v2.0 = 535cm2

Zalman NB47J = 245cm2

DFI stock (fan) = 62cm2

The heatSLink has over 2xtimes the cooling surface of the Zalman, I belive this makes a difference :confused: The Heatslink also have thick copper base, the other coolers are all aluminum only

What did you use to attach the HeatSLink to the motherboard? It doesn't look like you reused the white push-pins.

M3 bolts 15mm long.. driven in from the back of the MB.. 2 very strong springs apply pressure

That is very nice you should send one to Angry_G and see if DFI would sell a quiet mobo or even a micro mobo for htpc.

comp2.jpg

Cooling surface specs:

HeatSLInk v2.0 = 535cm2

Zalman NB47J = 245cm2

DFI stock (fan) = 62cm2

The heatSLink has over 2xtimes the cooling surface of the Zalman, I belive this makes a difference :confused: The Heatslink also have thick copper base, the other coolers are all aluminum only

M3 bolts 15mm long.. driven in from the back of the MB.. 2 very strong springs apply pressure

GXP Im interest to make the same cooler for my DFI. Is it possible give me a trick to do that???? Its more difficult???

In my case I can hear the chipset fan when it is at max RPM (6750). It sounds like a mini vacuum cleaner. That's why I have an intake blowhole on my side panel over the board. At about 4000 RPM it is inaudible and with a little lapping and some AS5 my chipset is at 44C idle, fine by me. I have smartguardian set so that it bumps up to full blast when using prime etc. and at that point I can handle a little more noise.

I wouldn't mind getting rid of that little bastard chipset fan and that creation of GXP345's is pretty cool!

I just powered on my DFI Ultra-D after reading this thread to see how loud the fan is. I just plugged in my PSU (I have no CPU) and turned it on and with the motherboard outside of the case I must admit the fan is pretty loud. I wonder how loud it'll be inside a case though.

Two questions:

1.) Can you still put ati silencer on you vc without bumping into your NB HS (assuming you are not using zalman cnp hsf on proc of course)

2.) If so I would like to order one from you do you ship to the philippines? :-)

P/S

have you ever thought of inverting it to the otherside and extending it further so you can attach a fan on it as well for those who dont mind the noise and just seeking out better cooling?

Yes you can use Ati silencer with the cooler..

.. and no, sorry i dont make more of these coolers!

Two questions:

1.) Can you still put ati silencer on you vc without bumping into your NB HS (assuming you are not using zalman cnp hsf on proc of course)

2.) If so I would like to order one from you do you ship to the philippines? :-)

P/S

have you ever thought of inverting it to the otherside and extending it further so you can attach a fan on it as well for those who dont mind the noise and just seeking out better cooling?

I put the pictures on this forum so other people should be inspired! Really hope your cooler turn out as fine as mine :)

8.99$ is a bargin! Almost the same as you have to pay for a Zalman NB-cooler :D

Directron has the Alpha PEP66T for $8.99 if anyone is interested. I bought one, and I am going to try to make a copy of the HeatSLink. I hope GXP345 won't mind.

Nice work OP! :)

The chipset fan starts to howl on my board when it starts going past 4000rpm. I have done a couple of things to keep it cool and quiet. First, I installed a Zalman FM2 92mm fan @1600rpm at an angle coming out of the hard drive bay to blow directly on the chipset area. This fan is fed by the front 120mm case fan. (See attached photo, and kudos to the poster who suggested this!). Second, I installed Speedfan (I prefer it over ITE) which controls the chipset speed based on temp (mine is set to go full bore at 50C). After making these changes, the chipset fan runs at 3000rpm almost always, and I have reduced the temp from 51C to 45C idle. My next move will be to apply AS5, but it will be a while before I pull the board back out of the case. I feel pretty comfortable with it as is now, and there are zero stability issues.

m