Tired of noisy chipset fan? DFI nF4 solution (modem warning!)

GXP345

I REALLY like the first chipset cooler in the first post. My chipset fan is pretty loud (to me) on my NF4-D. I would love to have something like that to passively cool it.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt it a bad idea to vent your processor cooler into your power supply? More heat for the PS means more work for it......

Ehh.. you do know that my PSU is exausting all the cpu-heat anyway? regardless of the duct (I never used any extra case fans). The duct dont produce heat.. It`just a piece of plastic ;)

If you think a little bit on it I`m shure you`ll understand :rolleyes: *logic*

• 2 weeks later...
with all those heatsinks, you probably will need a truck to move your case! Very impressive work, bravo.

It must be pretty hard to install new hardware too...

Ugh! I want to make my own chipset cooler so bad but I have very limited skills when it comes to power tools. My stock heatsink is driving me nuts! When I play CS:S it just keeps going at its max rpm, slowing down and reving back up. Constant whirrrrrr sound. I used arctic silver 5 already and it didn't help. Actually, it did help but now the temps are slowly rising... :confused: ...anyway, I know how to use a drill...thats about it. Would you be able to answer some of my questions (maybe even some pictures.. :rolleyes: )? That'd be so usefull!

1.)What tool did you use to cut the fins (right word?) on your chipset coolers? They're all cut so evenly and smooth. Even your previous HeatSLink blocks were cut evenly. How did you do it? I read the whole thread and I heard someone say dremel, but I also heard it wouldn't be that great of a tool to cut the heatsinks.

2.)What's a good heatsink to use buy? I can't find any on eBay...I guess I'm terrible at using it's search feature..

thanks

It must be pretty hard to install new hardware too...

Ugh! I want to make my own chipset cooler so bad but I have very limited skills when it comes to power tools. My stock heatsink is driving me nuts! When I play CS:S it just keeps going at its max rpm, slowing down and reving back up. Constant whirrrrrr sound. I used arctic silver 5 already and it didn't help. Actually, it did help but now the temps are slowly rising... :confused: ...anyway, I know how to use a drill...thats about it. Would you be able to answer some of my questions (maybe even some pictures.. :rolleyes: )? That'd be so usefull!

1.)What tool did you use to cut the fins (right word?) on your chipset coolers? They're all cut so evenly and smooth. Even your previous HeatSLink blocks were cut evenly. How did you do it? I read the whole thread and I heard someone say dremel, but I also heard it wouldn't be that great of a tool to cut the heatsinks.

I asked this same question on a PM. His response "Nope, used a circlesawblade. But it`s quite dangerous to cut all the fins with this."I would recomend a normal metalsaw(blade) for any person w/o lots of training.

2.)What's a good heatsink to use buy? I can't find any on eBay...I guess I'm terrible at using it's search feature.. Hey says he is using an Artic Freezer 4 As for me i directly replaced my stock HSF with an Iceberq 4 (not the pro version). Just had to enlarge mounting hole slightly with drill, and sand down one of the edges closest to the east side of the board, bc it touches a crystal there.thanks

answers above in orange from what the guy told me.....

im preparing my own mod atm!!

i bought an old swiftech socket a heatsink for 12.5 euro (inc shipping)

nieuwe%20chipset%20heatsink%20bovenkant%20schuin.jpg

cooler%20naar%20cooler%20top.jpg

if im correct the 2 points pointed below are the only parts interfiering with the heatsink (except the videocard itself offcourse)

bovenkant%20met%20karton%20(aangeduid).jpg

im i right about this?

or am i missing an important thing here?

strange that so many had to cut to use the usb or sata connectors

they all fit around nicely for me...

i had trouble with the condensator at the right top corner on my solution....and your marked no 2 .......used a Global Win socket 370 copper cooler.....easy to rip off finns with your hand..and if you want, grind it with dremel or a proper grinder........but it is not needed. just looks nicer.