Sign in to follow this  
ilh

nF4 Ultra-D: PCIe 8x is plenty for 6800 GT

I just switched my 6800GT to the lower 16x physical slot and it works great. The nVidia control panel picks it up as 8x so it's working properly. I don't have the exact numbers, but my 3Dmark 03 went up 30-40 points. :)

Plus my chipset went down :eek2: 1*C idle from 44* to 43*.

Easiest little mod yet!

Nope, I"m using the stock chipset cooler. All I did was set the jumpers to SLi on my Ultra-D board, then I switched my graphics card from the top (physical) PCIe 16x slot to the lower (physical) PCIe 16x slot.

It only helped the chipset run cooler by 1*, but it's better than nothing!

Allright now guys, i need a definate answer now. Do i need to move the jumpers to SLI or do i not? I got a ATI card and the driver won't tell me how my slot is configured, however, Everest tells me it's 4X (with the jumpers moved to SLI). Interestingly, my FPS in CS:S stresstest went up to 156FPS from 149FPS prior to the change.

Yes.

This is what I did, step by step.

1. Turn off the computer

2. Unplug everything

3. Open up side panel

4. Lay computer onto side

5. Unscrew videcoard bracket, take out videocard

6. Use those clips to take out all 6 of those jumpers. ( I had a hard time with those clips, so I just used one edge...took me a while)

7. Move the jumps down one slot, so it's configured as 2-3. ( I had a hard time figuring where exactly I was supposed to move the jumps. You move them down, vertically)

8. Insert videocard into bottom PCIe 16x slot

9. Screw in the bracket

10. Install side panel

11. Plug everything in

12. Turn on computer

Then I checked the nVidia control panel and it told me I was running at PCIe 8x so everything was all good. Ran 3d Mark 03, everything ran alright. Even got around a 40 point boost.

I followed the same steps and Everest show 4x....hmmm....

Don't have a different way of checking since the ATI driver won't tell.

Why would it perform better at 8X than 16X? Doesn't make sense.

Benchmarks like 3dMark, AquaMark, etc. have natural variation of at least +/-1% from run to run. For example, with 3dMark2001 you might get scores of anywhere from 24725 to 25250 without making any BIOS or system changes. If you average 10 or 100 runs, you might narrow it down to a tighter range.

Guys,

This is probably a dumb question, but I moved my BFG 6800GT to the outside slot hoping to get better airflow over the chipset. I thought both pcie slots were the same. Are they actually physically different? Do I need to change jumpers.

I have the stock mobo no overclocks no mods on the board in my sig

I guess I need to get the pdf manual and review this

Maybe you have a bad power cable. If something in the wiring is shorting out then you could have a big issue. I would check the connector and make sure the pins aren't bent or loose. You're plugging the connector in the correct way, right? I've heard that the manual has it backwards with the 12V and 5V pins switched :eek: .

I didnt have to change any jumpers. I did, however, have to scan the display adapter for hardware changes. Took five seconds and it worked after that. It also ran hotter for me as well because the air buffer between my geforce and my sound card was gone.