nF4 Ultra-D: PCIe 8x is plenty for 6800 GT

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to have my x800xl in the second slot or windows won't recognize the card, because it won't fit all the way in the slot. When i put it in slot 2 though it does work, but when i also change the jumpers to sli mode, windows again won't recognize the card? whats wrong here?

It's very strange! Try to instal newer GPU driver.

So i switched my x700pro to second pci-e with NO jumper change. Have I been running 2x this whole time???!!!

It's normal. You have to change jumper position to 2-3. In this mode u'll have 8x PCIx bandwich speed. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
The title of this thread seems to suggest this mod is only for the Ultra-D. Wouldn't it work for the SLI-DR as well? If not why?

Yes it will, its the same board but with additional futures (spelling?)

I am running my 6800GT on the 8X slot becouse i have watercooling on the chipset so got no room on the upperslot. I didnt get any noticible decrease in performance.

You can use the bottom PCIe X16 slot as a X8 slot on any of the nF4 boards.

The title of this thread seems to suggest this mod is only for the Ultra-D. Wouldn't it work for the SLI-DR as well? If not why?

• 6 months later...

FX-WANNA-B did a great job comparing 3DMark05 scores between PCI-E2 (16X) and PCI-E4 (8X w/ SLI jumpers enabled) on the Ultra-D. But the results with the default PCI-E4 settings (2X) are still missing. This would prove if moving the jumpers around have a real influence on 3D performance.

From my own experience, I haven't (yet) swapped the jumpers... but I'm losing about 300 points under 3DMark05 from PCI-E2 to PCI-E4. This is indeed not very substantial but I have that weird impression that Far Cry 1.33 is - for instance - not as smooth as it used to be on PCI-E2. And I'm sure this is not just psychlogical!

As for the card I'm using, it is a Sapphire X800 GTO2 (R480) overclocked @ 560Mhz core / 600Mhz mem w/ 16 pipelines enabled & ATI Silencer 5 rev2. GPU temp. is ~61 under full load. Drivers are ATI Catalyst 5.12 without bloody CCC.

FX-WANNA-B did a great job comparing 3DMark05 scores between PCI-E2 (16X) and PCI-E4 (8X w/ SLI jumpers enabled) on the Ultra-D. But the results with the default PCI-E4 settings (2X) are still missing. This would prove if moving the jumpers around have a real influence on 3D performance.

I've made a few tests running 3DMark05 with the VGA in slots PCIe #1 or #4 with an Ultra-D

With the jumpers in single VGA mode...

7800GTX @ PCIe #1 (set to x16) =~ 8168 3DMarks

7800GTX @ PCIe #4 (set to x2) =~ 7044 3DMarks

With the jumpers in SLI mode

7800GTX @PCIe #1 (set to x8) =~ 8147 3DMarks

7800GTX @PCIe #4 (set to x8) => CAN'T BOOT, VGA is not detected

From x8 to x16 there is no performance influence, bellow 1%

But from x8/x16 to x2 there is a performance drop around 15%

I haven't tested "real world games", I think less 1000 3DMarks can mean something.

CPU tested was an A64 3000+ @2.43GHz with 4x512MB RAM (2GB) running @DDR405 CAS 2.5-3-3-7 command rate 2T, using 150MHz divider