NF4 Ultra D SATA RAID 0 Woes.. and solution.

Ok I have had this board for three days now and I have only JUST got it working how I wanted. I was wondering if anyone else has had issues like this.

Got my DFI Mobo, AMD64 3200+ (winnie) and Geforce 6600GT PCIe.

Whipped out my P4 2.8, mobo, and ATI9800 pro and gleefully installed my new kit.

Knowing that this will indeed break my existing RAID 0 Array from my P4 to Nvidia RAID, I went about doing fresh install of Windows XP. Besides getting a hardware change of this magnitude would warrent it also.. :rolleyes:

Sooo..

Set up the stripe in the BIOS, and proceeded to install XP. Pressed F6 and installed both SATA Nvidia drivers that were listed. Partitioned the drive and tried to install XP on said partition.

It got to the point of copying files over to the partition, and as it tried to copy the NVRAID Drivers to the installation it reported that it could not copy NVRAID.sys from the floppy.

So I went to a relatives' house and downloaded several copies of the Nforce4 SATA driver from different places (DFI, Nvidia, MSI, ASUS, etc) just to be sure. I went back home armed with the floppies, and again same problem.

Tried a different floppy, again same problem

Eventually installed XP without RAID just to make usre that all my other hardware worked ok. This was fine and worked perfectly...

So I looked around and saw this and looked into doing this myself.

So Armed with nLite and the above link and Nvidia's latest SATA driver I proceeded to make an intergrated WinXP with SATA RAID.

And it installed just fine on a RAID 0 with the said CD.

So why was it so difficult to do what was really a trivial install?

Any comments?.

So Armed with nLite and the above link and Nvidia's latest SATA driver I proceeded to make an intergrated WinXP with SATA RAID. And it installed just fine on a RAID 0 with the said CD. So why was it so difficult to do what was really a trivial install? Any comments?.

Suspect bad floppy, bad floppy drive, bad cable or cable installed backwards. Could even be the floppy controller on the mobo.

BTW is that an Antec case or a Raidmax Samurai case.

Nope, its not that. as I said I tried a different floppy drive. The floppy drive works #perfectly# when the OS is installed.

I can write , read, make MSDOS Boot disks that work, pretty much everything I wanted to do with a floppy I could ever imagine...

Raidmax.. sorry... it has an Antec PSU un it... ooops...

Also just to note. it does load some stuff from the floppy on install as I can partition and see my raid0 stripe on an F6 install.. its when it gets to copying the files over. Like I said, lots of disks tried and even another drive...

Main thing is that I got it working even tho it was a huge ball ache

It got to the point of copying files over to the partition, and as it tried to copy the NVRAID Drivers to the installation it reported that it could not copy NVRAID.sys from the floppy.

This only happened during the Windows XP OS install?

Once the OS was installed the floppy works just fine?

Strange case! At least you're over it now. :nod:

Yup would only do this during the Windows XP install.. But the upshot of it all is that I made a nice new XP CD with the drivers built in so if I lose the floppy or leave it near a magnetized screw driver etc, I wont need it anymore..

Even if you dont have problems like this when installing, its still worth doing and really isnt that difficult. :)

Ok I have had this board for three days now and I have only JUST got it working how I wanted. I was wondering if anyone else has had issues like this.

Got my DFI Mobo, AMD64 3200+ (winnie) and Geforce 6600GT PCIe.

Whipped out my P4 2.8, mobo, and ATI9800 pro and gleefully installed my new kit.

Knowing that this will indeed break my existing RAID 0 Array from my P4 to Nvidia RAID, I went about doing fresh install of Windows XP. Besides getting a hardware change of this magnitude would warrent it also.. :rolleyes:

Sooo..

Set up the stripe in the BIOS, and proceeded to install XP. Pressed F6 and installed both SATA Nvidia drivers that were listed. Partitioned the drive and tried to install XP on said partition.

So I went to a relatives' house and downloaded several copies of the Nforce4 SATA driver from different places (DFI, Nvidia, MSI, ASUS, etc) just to be sure. I went back home armed with the floppies, and again same problem.

Tried a different floppy, again same problem

Eventually installed XP without RAID just to make usre that all my other hardware worked ok. This was fine and worked perfectly...

So I looked around and saw this and looked into doing this myself.

So Armed with nLite and the above link and Nvidia's latest SATA driver I proceeded to make an intergrated WinXP with SATA RAID.

And it installed just fine on a RAID 0 with the said CD.

So why was it so difficult to do what was really a trivial install?

Any comments?.

Mine had the same problem with my Raptors, it wouldn't copy idecoi.dll from the floppy. I soon figured out when swapping SATA drives from NF3 to the NF4 you need to do a low level format on both drives then RAID them for some reason Windows could not format the drives completely, thus leaving some files still on it from the previous installation such as idecoi.dll. After format and install went right to the specs in my sig :shake: , it's a shame that in a Giga-Byte board the same CPU took 1.7v to get that speed and wasn't stable, but it's stable now :nod:

• 3 weeks later...
Mine had the same problem with my Raptors, it wouldn't copy idecoi.dll from the floppy. I soon figured out when swapping SATA drives from NF3 to the NF4 you need to do a low level format on both drives then RAID them for some reason Windows could not format the drives completely, thus leaving some files still on it from the previous installation such as idecoi.dll. After format and install went right to the specs in my sig :shake: , it's a shame that in a Giga-Byte board the same CPU took 1.7v to get that speed and wasn't stable, but it's stable now :nod:

Thats good tho know, as I installed another drive (added it as JBOD) and installed Windows XP64 on it (dual boot envrioment) it too was suffering from the same problem. Next time I will low-level format the drive before a reinstall. Mind you I did intregate the XP64 drivers into the XP64 CD (cant use nLite for that tho).

Next time I will low-level format the drive before a reinstall.
Most of us that have been doing raid for 5 years or so have known this for sometime. I found it by accident when I pulled two drives out of raid 0 on an old high point raid controller and formatted it with Partition Magic and used it FINE as a single driver. Months later I stuck it back into the mobo where it had been in raid back before format for single drive setup on "another" computer and the raid controller on the board drive had previously been on Jumped UP and said ""ah hah busted raid array"". Shett far. That drive had been in another computer after being raided and had performed without flaw as a single drive but now back to the drives original starting point and where it had been in raid and the raid REsees it.

Checked around in raid forums and they hinted that you need to ALWAYS break an array before removing the drive because plain old F-disk and format could not remove the raid array information from the drive OR full erase OR zero or ones out the drive and that would remove the array information. I do that for all my drivers now sata or otherwise. But most are in such a big hurry that they could not bear the thought of zeroing out a drive or two before using them. Heaven forbid having to slow down to do the correct stuff. Just gimme my gaming and let me go. HEhehehehehehe. And then one gets caught in a trap of their own making. Now not knowing is one thing, but not doing after knowing as I tried to get by and do the other day> well that was on my own in a hurry head. HEhehehe.

There is one more problem that can arise and that is if you have one new drive and one old drive that comes from a raid setup. The old drive has previous array information on it and the new drive does not so you hook the two together and you wind up with a half array and lock up and no go until you hook up a third non-dorked drive and go back and zero out the drives. It does not catch everyone, everytime, it catches some, some of the time.

RGone... :confused: as usual.

Thats good tho know, as I installed another drive (added it as JBOD) and installed Windows XP64 on it (dual boot envrioment) it too was suffering from the same problem. Next time I will low-level format the drive before a reinstall. Mind you I did intregate the XP64 drivers into the XP64 CD (cant use nLite for that tho).