Damage to Ultra D - packing problem (please see first post in thread!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is reminiscent of the Intel fiasco years ago when they produced a CPU that could not do math correctly. Instead of owning up to the problem Intel did their ostrich imitation. Finally the heat got so great they had to admit the problem and replace the defective CPU’s. They took a pretty big PR hit over the whole thing, with computer enthusiasts and the rest of the public hardly noticed. I would imagine in retrospect that Intel would have to admit they would have been better off to just own up to the problem and move on.

This thing with DFI is on a much much smaller scale. But, the PR issues may be more damaging because computer enthusiasts are DFI’s meat and potatoes

my LP SLI-D was perfect, not even any scars on the anti bag :D although seeing it packed like it was did worry me, when you look at it, DFI could easily put that audio on the board before its shipped, its only the connection and 2 plastic push pins holding it on, the box even closer proper still after i clicked it on, although it would be an idea to make the box a bit deeper and add a bit of padding on top to make sure the audio PCB bit doesnt get smashed

I got one 2 weeks ago from ZZF. It was damaged like all the others with broken switches and bent pin headers.

I searched and searched until i found all of the metal contact pieces from the switches (there were 4 not 2 as someone previously posted). I knew if i didn't find them before powering it up, there was a huge potential to short the board out.

The board works fine, and i am happy with it's performance.

I like the board so much that i have ordered another. I do hope it comes in undamaged. DFI should look at the placement of the audio module as the way it is packaged now ic cleary inadequate, and leaves a high potential for damage.

Got an Ultra D today from Newegg (New Jersey) (board made in China not Taiwan) not a ding on the board or the anti static bag. The Karajan Module was positioned in the upper right corner of the box inside its plastic container, but it was positioned above the switches that have been getting damaged in the cases listed in this thread.

sparx

hrmm...i suppose I should have edited the first post to reflect that I have already given an answer to this! I apologize!

If you have received a damaged board do the following:

1. DO NOT OPEN THE ANTI-STATIC BAG! try to check for damage before even opening the bag containing the motherboard!

2. (even if you have opened it, it is ok).

3. Send me email (link in my sig) if you have one of these damaged motherboards. I will help you get it taken care of ASAP.

Angry,

Thank you for your response to my email about the damaged board. But I just cann't send the same message and some other information to frankwong.

Should I try to contact frankwong by the other means?