Damage to Ultra D - packing problem (please see first post in thread!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I was misunderstood.

Yes, the problem is being caused by the Karajan Audio module being packed on top of the motherboard and is DFI total fault and responiblity.

The problem truly seems to be asrising when only the motherboard is shipped inside of a large FedEx box. The motherboard box causes the FedEx box to bulge slightly cuaseing pressure on the problem area. A larger box will not cause this to happen and elinimating most of the problems with the broken boards.

Just my theory.

If you plan on ordering one, be sure to order more than they can cram in the large FedEx box!

OK, now I am getting a better perspective of the problem and I agree with you . If any vendor is shipping the DFI box in a carton that does not properly accommodate DFI box then they may well share in the blame for the damaged motherboards

an easy way of looking at it as that the these boards are like a jar of nitroglycerine-- prone to disaster.

all it takes is some small disturbance along the way.. be it the distributor or fedex and boom! its wack.

still waiting for official comments :O

The problem lies with DFI's packaging of the product. It's not rocket science to figure out that packaging an audio module (the rock) so that it mashes up against a motherboard (the hardplace) is going to cause damage, and has...frequently.
I agree, the problem is the packaging from factory. I received my first board damaged from ZZF (btw: took them forever to acknowledge my RMA) and when they sent me a replacement it was damaged the same way. Sent it back for refund.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6252

Hi Robert!

You may remember me from the other day when I was requesting an RMA due to a faulty built-in ON/OFF switch and ZZF wouldn't answer my emails.

Has anyone had this problem with the SLI-DR? DFI NF4 is practically vapourware in New Zealand so if mine does 'eventually' arrive, I'd like to know that it'll be safe and snug...but I'm more than a little worried now.

I agree, the problem is the packaging from factory. I received my first board damaged from ZZF (btw: took them forever to acknowledge my RMA) and when they sent me a replacement it was damaged the same way. Sent it back for refund.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6252

Wow, you got 2 bad ones...sorry to hear that. I had heard from another person who got their broken board from ZZF that he was having problems getting an RMA from them. Their policy states that under no circumstance do they accept RMA of physically damaged goods. They have to make an exception for this, I imagine they have been getting a lot of these boards returned due to damage.

Did they make you pay shipping and restocking fee?? Fight them all the way on this...they can't keep ripping customers off over this. I hope DFI has communicated this to them at least, even if they won't own up to it to users.

Has anyone had this problem with the SLI-DR? DFI NF4 is practically vapourware in New Zealand so if mine does 'eventually' arrive, I'd like to know that it'll be safe and snug...but I'm more than a little worried now.

The SLI-DR should be safe... Everything is boxed and then boxed again in colourful sturdy boxes... Theres no way any damage could have occured on my SLI-DR by less then jumping on it and even not FedEx does that on purpose :)

The SLI-DR should be safe... Everything is boxed and then boxed again in colourful sturdy boxes... Theres no way any damage could have occured on my SLI-DR by less then jumping on it and even not FedEx does that on purpose :)
I'm afraid that no board is 100% safe.

If the person packaging the board at the factory presses too hard on the sound module side of the box the switches and the fan header will get crushed. It's not their fault either, it's just a packaging desing flaw.

The sound module should be relocated to prevent damage in the future.