Damage to Ultra D - packing problem (please see first post in thread!

Well since A_G has allready declared that he wants contact details to all concerned I guess DFI at least is accepting their part of it. But Im sorry (howevwer not surprised) to hear that FedEx is doing their part to help busting the boards as well.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read some of the posts concerning damaged freight I thought that I'd post my thoughts about it. Currently, I work in a warehouse and move all kinds of boxes.

For the fellows packing the box (from DFI and the store) assume that it will get walked on, kicked, thown or hit by a moving forklift (sounds like Baditude's got all four). If it is damaged before it gets to the store, then it is happening at DFI (I don't think that is - other online stores don't seem to have this problem). If it is damaged before it gets to you, it is happening at either the store (Monarch, etc.) or the carrier (FedEx, etc) repective warehouses or trucks.

Find out the store's and carrier's policy concerning concealed damage and then follow it exactly. This might be worth checking into before your next order is placed (with whomever). If you're really paranoid about it, check the freight first (open the box up and have a look). If it is damaged refuse the shipment - (do not sign for it) and file a claim with the carrier and/or the shipper. If it looks fine then sign for it. In any event, having documentation on the damage, such as pictures, will most likely help when making your claim.

These companies will start to take more notice when their OS&D claims begin to skyrocket.

Im sorry (howevwer not surprised) to hear that FedEx is doing their part to help busting the boards as well.

I feel like FedEx is really getting the raw the deal on this one. NewEgg could have avoided the problem and even admitted they know that alot of the boards are being damaged during shipping. They just needed to use a larger box for shipping.

If you know something is wrong and don't prevent the problem from happening this makes you guilty. I have the name of the Newegg tech that I spoke with documented and he told me that they have been aware of the problem. They are apparently willing to take a chance on your shipment making it undamaged or they would be using lager boxes which cost more to ship.

The real responable party here is DFI. I hope the same designers that made the board did not design the packaging. The way the sound riser just sits on top on the mainboard is rediculous. This is the real problem, no protection and a poor design.

When I first started building computers back about 10 years ago I remember passing up buying the DFI brand. I remember wondering what DFI stood for. The first thing that popped in my mind was Dumb F++king Idiot. Was this a correct assuption? I'm starting to believe so.

I feel like FedEx is really getting the raw the deal on this one. NewEgg could have avoided the problem and even admitted they know that alot of the boards are being damaged during shipping. They just needed to use a larger box for shipping.

If you know something is wrong and don't prevent the problem from happening this makes you guilty. I have the name of the Newegg tech that I spoke with documented and he told me that they have been aware of the problem. They are apparently willing to take a chance on your shipment making it undamaged or they would be using lager boxes which cost more to ship.

The real responable party here is DFI. I hope the same designers that made the board did not design the packaging. The way the sound riser just sits on top on the mainboard is rediculous. This is the real problem, no protection and a poor design.

When I first started building computers back about 10 years ago I remember passing up buying the DFI brand. I remember wondering what DFI stood for. The first thing that popped in my mind was Dumb F++king Idiot. Was this a correct assuption? I'm starting to believe so.

Hi! I´m very suprised with the ammount of people with packing problem! I myself received my Lanparty SLI-D with ez touch switches damaged. Have ordered at Overclock UK and received by Fedex. I´ve sent to Overclock´s RMA service about 2 weeks. I´ve received confirmation of the mobo´s reception but until now still awaiting for decision. Getting really p***** off :(

I would say with the sheer number of damaged motherboards, that DFI is the party at fault here. Blaming the various vendors or Fedex isn’t reasonable.

I am disappointed that DFI has not stepped up and addressed this issue. My current LanParty nF3 may well be the last time I purchase a DFI product

Blaming the various vendors or Fedex isn’t reasonable.

I blaming Newegg becuase they know it's a problem with packing and they apparently refuse to ship the board in a larger box. (This cost extra money) The phone tech told me that they have been aware of the problem. All they need to do is ship in a larger box. I've read somewhere that someone recieved a new board from ZipZoomFly in a larger box with no problems.

It's really a simple solution as far as shipping, but DFI needs to start packing the boards differant.

I blaming Newegg becuase they know it's a problem with packing and they apparently refuse to ship the board in a larger box. (This cost extra money) The phone tech told me that they have been aware of the problem. All they need to do is ship in a larger box. I've read somewhere that someone recieved a new board from ZipZoomFly in a larger box with no problems.

It's really a simple solution as far as shipping, but DFI needs to start packing the boards differant.

First of all, most vendors are not going to open a product container and make changes, because they will be accused of shipping a refurbished or used item by their customers.

Secondly, what does the shipping box size have to do with this type of damage. As I understand it there is a component within the DFI box that is moving around during transit and damaging the motherboard.

Clear and simple; We do agree that DFI failed to package this product correctly. No big deal, we all make mistakes. DFI is allowed to make one now and then, BUT do they have the integrity to make it right.

This problem has nothing to do with FedEx or any etailer (though if Newegg or any of them knows about it, they should check the board before it goes out. It's called CUSTOMER SERVICE--- remember that theory?) A larger box WOULD NOT HAVE HELPED, as the board was likely damaged before it left Newegg.

The problem lies with DFI's packaging of the product. It's not rocket science to figure out that packaging an audio module (the rock) so that it mashes up against a motherboard (the hardplace) is going to cause damage, and has...frequently. With the new posts on this thread and other threads, I would guesstimate about 20 people have had this damage. It's not their fault, and they are paying MORE money to RMA a faulty board.

Most people that have damaged mobos have not seen ANY damage to the retail box OR the shipping box.

My problem was taken care of by Monarch Computers, at their expense. They bent over backwards to make sure I got a good board and was happy (they know CUSTOMER SERVICE - remember that theory??). They FedEx'd a new motherboard to me. It (though still incorrectly packaged by DFI) arrived undamaged.

This is TOTALLY DFI's problem and I am REALLY disappointed they have not been more forthcoming. They should offer RMA for all boards damaged in this fashion and pay for the customer to ship it back to them. In my opinion, they should cross ship a new board (with the Karajan packed seperately). It's called CUSTOMER SERVICE. A company will never be great with out it.

I'd like to see A_G or RGone come out and say "DFI screwed up..here's how they will fix it for you..." on this website. Unfortunately, lawyers are probably involved and they are doing their best to cover their tails. They SHOULD be cautious, yes, but if you look back at the date I started this thread, they have had plenty of time to be cautious and still satisfy customer concerns openly.

Have they changed the way the board is packaged??? Who knows? I'd like to know.

EDIT: I'd like to make it clear that I don't blame Angry_games for any of this at all...he has been helpful in this forum to many ppls and helpful in this thread as well. I'm sure it frustrates him too. Thanks, A_G!

This is a ultra-D problem right? because on my SLI-DR the Karajan Audio module is

packed in a plastic container on top of the mobo box. Actually, everything is

packed in boxes separately. It may be their new way of packing, looks dang good

to me.

I got it from NCIX in Richmond BC, 2 days shipping time to Montreal Qc, packed in a bigger box. Good job.

GL guys.

This is a ultra-D problem right? because on my SLI-DR the Karajan Audio module is

packed in a plastic container on top of the mobo box. Actually, everything is

packed in boxes separately. It may be their new way of packing, looks dang good

to me.

I got it from NCIX in Richmond BC, 2 days shipping time to Montreal Qc, packed in a bigger box. Good job.

GL guys.

I'm with you here kosmic. I orderd the SLI-DR from ZZF, and it came packaged just like yours. Also ZZF put the Dfi package in a BIG box with the peanut foam thingys. no problems or dents on the box at all. Good job by Fedex, ZZF and DFI ;);) . I hope everybody has a good outcome to this problem..

well i just got my DFI lanparty Ultra D in today from newegg, and thankfully nothing was wrong with it. the Karajan audio was still sitting on top of the pins but it fortunatly didnt move enough to bend em.

I think I was misunderstood.

Yes, the problem is being caused by the Karajan Audio module being packed on top of the motherboard and is DFI total fault and responiblity.

The problem truly seems to be asrising when only the motherboard is shipped inside of a large FedEx box. The motherboard box causes the FedEx box to bulge slightly cuaseing pressure on the problem area. A larger box will not cause this to happen and elinimating most of the problems with the broken boards.

Just my theory.

If you plan on ordering one, be sure to order more than they can cram in the large FedEx box!