Damage to Ultra D - packing problem (please see first post in thread!

FROM ANGRY_GAMES:

If you have received a damaged board do the following:

1. DO NOT OPEN THE ANTI-STATIC BAG! try to check for damage before even opening the bag containing the motherboard!

2. (even if you have opened it, it is ok).

3. Send me email (link in Angry_Games's sig) if you have one of these damaged motherboards. I will help you get it taken care of ASAP.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by: Tyson95

I've had my Ultra-D for about a week now and haven't really been able to do much with it. The first problem is when I opened the box to find the onboard power and reset switches smashed, all of the pins for the hdd leds and power switches bent forward and the 8 channel audio connector cracked. This is all courtesy of ZipZoomFly I know of at least 1 other person who's board arrived in this condition. I thought at first it happened during shipping but the box it arrived in was in great shape and the board was well packaged. I have since tried to RMA it but according to ZZF's policy they will not take back any physically damaged items. Problem #2 my OCZ3200EL Rev2 will not work in this board whatsoever I found out on the DFI forum that any board shipped with the Bios dated 1-25 will need to flash to the 2-1 bios. There are some more things that I'll post later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone else with this exact pattern of damage? My board arrived from Monarch yesterday and guess what? The EZTouch switches were smashed...little other visible damage, but I know why it was damaged and it wasn't ZZF's or Monarch's fault. The board is poorly packed.

The Karajan Audio module is packed ABOVE the board with the module itself protruding over the board, WITH NO PACKING BETWEEN, right above the EZTouch switches. I have to imagine it happens fairly often. It would not take much force to cause damage, only movement inside the box.

PLEASE respond if you see similar damage on your board, no matter how slight.

Monarch graciously accepted my RMA, but is trying to make me pay shipping. I refuse to do so since this is a manufacturer packing fault. Tyson95 doesn't even get to RMA his board, but the damage is NOT HIS FAULT NOR IS IT ZZF's.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hm. mine was in perfect condition, i don't know what to say. i guess just wait for DFI to reply. or you can call them.

Well, the nature of this thing is, some will come through just fine. When you unpack a brand new one, the problem is obvious. The Karajan Module sits right on top of those EZ Touch Switches. If the board slides, the switches will probably get tweaked. If there is any compression, say stacking a few boxes on top, there will be a greater chance of damage too.

I have heard alot of this is going around, maybe instead of the "said company" sending the mobo, in a box just slightly bigger than the one it comes in, maybe they should put it in a real box!!

Not sure if Tyson95 used a Credit Card..but he could let his credit card company know about this, then ZZF will have no choice!! My friend did this with them once for sending him the wrong item and not letting him return it without paying for shipping!!

I just think alot of these mail order companies are getting lazy in the packaging department!!

a hoarde of people have had this happen to them from newegg and monarch, just saw this on anandtech

Yah, that's my post at AT. Just started asking today (Friday) and have discovered 5 persons with this exact damage (myself included). It is definately a packaging problem!!! I only wanted to get my RMA without paying shipping, but it has turned into a crusade!

Same situation here. Both of my switches were in pieces in the bottom of the bag.

Mine came from Newegg and was in a decent size box packed with peanuts.

I'm just trying to remember when I unpacked it if the audio module was sitting on top of the board where the switches are. I'm wondering if that could be what beat the hell out of the board. :P