The Intel 6xx Series 875P-T thread

Sam: I've heard of people that use the 20pin plug with success. I'd be affraid to leave it like that on the long term. I believe the plug will fit in the top 20 pins of the mobo connector. I use an adapter for 20 to 24 pins. My reasoning is this, ignore the modifications being done, but look at where the wires run into the power supply. All the 12v lines run into one common connection, all the 5v lines do, 3.3v, so on and so fourth. So, for example, i don't see the problem of a a 12 volt line being split 4 times, or maybe 6 times by the plug adapter, because it all runs back to one common soldered joint in the end.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~rwbradl2/Vmods/VRs_Attached.jpg (picture taken from Xtremesystems.com Thanks to Hell-Fires PSU sense wire mod)

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in regards to this whole power supply deal.

my antec TP 550w:

12v - 30A

5v - 40A

3.3v - 32A

OCZ powerstream 600w:

12v1 - 20A

12v2 - 18A

5v - 46A

3.3v - 28A

now, this board has a 24pin connector, but only has a 4 pin 12v connector. So its not exactly EPS compliant. My concern would be if i upgraded to a 600w powerstream which is considered EPS compliant, its got 2 12v connectors for the 8 pin 12v motherboards. Since this board only has 4 pins, i'd assume that 12v1 would get connected, but 12v2 would be disconnected, leaving only 20a available. so would i be better to leave the 24 pin adapter on my antec with a higher amp 12v rail?

Mike,

I have a 600W Powerstream and i am having no issues with my overclock. I can only assume that the 600 has something where if you are not using both 12v rails then all the 12v power would be going to one rail. I cannot see being able to overclock my 3.8, run 7 hard drives, a 6800 Ultra, water cooling, etc on a 18 or 20amp 12v rail. :)

Sam: i would assume the newer driver, what is the driver for? intel chipset?

Ed, thats good to know. I think you need every bit of that PSU with what you have on it! :shake:

my antec 550 i think is doing just fine. that 5v droop i'm getting isn't there on the harness when tested with a DMM, i don't know if there is a droop across the board somewhere though. however, i did notice that my 12v line (with DMM in 4 pin connector) idles at 11.95, and loads at 12.85... wouldn't mind turning that up a hair. I'll probably try that PSU sense mod. Who knows though, maybe thats whats causing my 280+ instability.

Ed, thats good to know. I think you need every bit of that PSU with what you have on it! :shake:

my antec 550 i think is doing just fine. that 5v droop i'm getting isn't there on the harness when tested with a DMM, i don't know if there is a droop across the board somewhere though. however, i did notice that my 12v line (with DMM in 4 pin connector) idles at 11.95, and loads at 12.85... wouldn't mind turning that up a hair. I'll probably try that PSU sense mod. Who knows though, maybe thats whats causing my 280+ instability.

LOL!!

You never know, maybe that is your problem with 280+FSB :confused: