nF4 Ultra-D - XP FYI

Weird.

Windows detects your hardware during load. If the hardware has changed significantly, you'll be forced to call MS with a 40000000-digit install key just to log in. The process was fairly simple, but it's still a pain.

I swapped some Ballistix for OCZ ELs and could not log in until after a call to MS. I couldn't do it online because my connection isn't active until after login. :-(

Just a warning to those who are futzing with working/non-working RAM with these BIOSes - you may be forced to talk to an answering machine for a few minutes.

BTW, NewEgg has now shipped me two straight DIMM sets with 1 busted stick. RMA number 2 in the same number of days. Go with ZipZoomFly.

Yep it is most irritating. Also I lost my windows cd so I borrowed a friend's, his is also xp pro but it's oem (came on his comp) mine is retail so my key doesn't work on his cd!

windows product activation, it's like, when microsoft makes mistakes they can irritate you but when they go out of their way to intentionally annoy you, man it's a whole 'nother ball game.

To avoid this whenever i switch out mobos or some other major hardware, i always do a fresh install and i don't activate windows until i'm sure everything is working etc ( gives you 30 days to activate). When you try to activate and if it has already been installed and activated on another mobo, yes, you will have to talk w/ an operator to get you id. You have to explain that you COMPLETELY removed the software from the other installation!

What may I expect if I just transfer my HD and all hardware over to my new system from my old?

SNAFU?

Best to do a complete recovery/install? Or load a completely new OS (I have 64 bit XP Pro 1 year trial disk)?

This is my first "build" from scratch. Any tips would be appreciated.

Charles

What may I expect if I just transfer my HD and all hardware over to my new system from my old?

SNAFU?

Best to do a complete recovery/install? Or load a completely new OS (I have 64 bit XP Pro 1 year trial disk)?

Charles

At least in my case I had to do a reinstall, even trying to install XP over the old install didn't work :) Guess it didn't like the big switch, every component except drives was a different vendor:

ATI 9600 -> GF6600GT,

Intel 2.4GhZ C->A64 3000+

Abit IS-7 865PE-> LANPARTY NF4

Might have more luck if everything is from the same company?

No biggie for me, since a clean install is better anyways, and all my important data is on a different partition.

SNAFU?

Charles

The 64bit version does not require activation since you didn't pay for it.

Hmmm... now, I had Windows installed on a SATA drive, I swapped it out and put a different HD in to test something out and started installing Windows. I got a big ole error saying I had a hardware error etc... and wouldn't let me install windows even after a format. So... I gave up and proceded to plug in the SATA HD again, and... now the system emergency crashes, and once in a while, I get that same blue screen that flashed up when I tried to install Windows XP on the older IDE drive... but it flashes up for all of a split second and disappears...

BIOS was 2/18/05... no RAID... not even sure what a RAID is to set one up, I'm knowledgeable enough to be dangerous but not enough to do much with it ;)

Plugged the SATA back into the same it was in before I put the IDE in and tried to install XP on that.

Right now my PSU that I thought was good, is about useless thanks to misinformed CSRs at CompUSA!, so I'm hoping and praying that 90% of my problems are a result of that and will be fixed within a week or so... so I'm not going to worry about it for a bit.