Sign in to follow this  
Badams66

Lindows

Im not sure if anyone has heard of Lindows before, but i was wondering if this is free like linux or cost like windows (since its half of both) and i was going to download it because my dad took our copy back to work, but nobody on Kazaa has it! Am i doing something wrong while searching for it, or can you just not download it at all?

P.S.

If this is an "Illegal" question, just delete it!

i do belive lindows is share ware....im pretty sure it is also open sorce but im not sure on that one....u can download it right off the lindows website

Nope. You have to buy it. $49.95 ~ $300.00, depending on what you get... or you can get it with a $200 Wal*Mart PC..

They use to call it a Linux OS that could run Window's Apps, but got in all sorts of trouble over that... and now it's just "LindowsOS". They couldn't call it Linux without providing it for free, and MS sued them for the windows statement.. so now it's just it's own thing.

You won't find it on Kazaa, becaue 1- It wasn't really embrased by anyone, and 2- From what I've heard it's got a activation like Windows XP.

Edited by d3bruts1d

I was thinking about trying Lindows, cuz i have to reformat a hard drive anyways. I think i might see what it's like, it wont hurt. If i dont like it i can just put win2k on...oh well.

I want Win2k but i dont got it :'(, and i had win ME but the only and i mean ONLY good thing about that OS is that it runs Aps much faster, boots faster, and defrags faster then what i use now (Win98)

Ive tried lycoris when it first came out and it sucked (its similar to lindows)...

lindows I hear sucks really bad too, I mean why pay money for it when it

cant do windows or linux half as good as windows or linux??? if ya want

linux then go w/ red hat or slackware... if ya want windows too, then either

dual boot or use WINE/WINEX or an emulator like vmware...

They use to call it a Linux OS that could run Window's Apps, but got in all sorts of trouble over that... and now it's just "LindowsOS". They couldn't call it Linux without providing it for free, and MS sued them for the windows statement.. so now it's just it's own thing.

Actually I'm a Lindows Insider. And you've got the right idea, but your facts are a little off... so I'll set them straight.

They CAN call it Linux without providing it free... you won't see anything in the GPL about the name linux or a ditro's responsibility to it. The GPL only says that if you modify source code protected by the GPL you have to provide the modified source code when you're finished. Linux nor the GPL EVER state that linux operating systems or software are or have to be free (just the SOURCE CODE). Only that the source code that you edit is made publicly available. For instance when the Click-N-Run warehouse was based on APT-get, Lindows was required to provide the source code to CNR to anyone who wished to view it. But after they took CNR in house and built in from the ground up, they were no longer editing protected GPL code therefore they do not have to share the CNR source code. However, the actual LindowsOS is and always will be based off of linux source code, so they will always have to provide their source code for the operating system itself.

So you do have to pay to get a compiled copy (bootable, ready to install) of the new Lindows OS 4.0 (woohoo! it's out and nice!) but you could download the source code and compile it yourself (if you have the know how or want to tamper with it), keeping in mind you wouldn't have the source code to Click-N-Run, which without CNR there is really no point at all to using Lindows.

Lastly, M$ did not sue Lindows because of the claims of being able to use Windows software but because Lindows sounded too much like Windows (a name they had trademarked). Thus far they have lost twice on the name thing as courts are finding that "windows" is too generic of a name to protect with copyright and trademarking laws. If M$ had a case against people using software that made Windows software useable they'd have to go after the WINE group and CodeWeavers. However there isn't a lot they can do about making software useable as long as the developers don't mess with the M$ software itself. Using WINE to use Microsoft Office on Linux doesn't stop the fact that a person still had to purchase M$ Office to do so. Therefore there is really nothing M$ can do about it.

Anyway, everything else you said was right on. I hope that you forgive me for this lengthy post (but I thought this might me useful information to anyone looking at Lindows or Linux in general) and please don't be angry. My purpose wasn't to condemn you, just educate our little community here. I hold you in the highest regards. Good day sir! ;)

JaceMan

P.S. One other thing there is no activation required for Lindows, just don't count on downloading any software via the Click-N-Run warehouse without registering CNR. Essentially, Click-N-Run and Lindows are two seperate products, although without CNR, I wouldn't be a Lindows Insider.

Edited by jaceman

sounds accurate to me :P I should try installing one of

the latest versions of lyrcoris or lindows and see how they compare

to other distros... but Im too lazy

Good news for anyone wanting to try Lindows too! Lindows just announced that a year's membership for unlimited downloads in the CNR warehouse has been reduced from $99 a year to $49 a year AND you get a YEAR's worth of CNR free when you purchase Lindows.

So for $49 bucks you get a stable linux operating system, with easy installs (easier even than Microsoft) and lifetime licensing to whatever products you can download in that year's time.

Looks like I came to Lindows too soon! You late starters get a better deal! ;)