Sign in to follow this  
recoverep

poor video performance after overclock..

I recently overclocked and now I am noticing a decline in my video performance. I am hitting around 140 FPS in CS: Source but it sure doesnt look like 140 FPS used to look. To me the frame rates look jumpy almost like they are hitting sub 20 FPS yet still registering at 140. Anyone else experience this problem or know anything about it? I was thinking maybe its not getting enough power since I am now overlcocking...?? Suggestions or comments please...

Jimi, that's from to much heat ;).

The newer cards, nvidia ones at least, well when they over heat in the core it hitches the video.

When the memory overheats (at least bga) it slows down performance, no hitching though.

The memory can over heat and still have no glitches btw, (glitches = white or black dots in textures).

Jimi, that's from to much heat ;).

The newer cards, nvidia ones at least, well when they over heat in the core it hitches the video.

When the memory overheats (at least bga) it slows down performance, no hitching though.

The memory can over heat and still have no glitches btw, (glitches = white or black dots in textures).

I'm not overclocking at all... I was... but I am not now (still the jumpy graphics). Is it possible I screwed my card?

Try down clocking the core some more, below stock.

Nvidia cards can sometimes be built super cheapy, maybe all of them kinda now, I dn.

My gf4 could'nt do stock speeds at 1st it's self, untill I redid the thermal gel on it.

Try that 1st, if the prob is still there you could try to limit any heat, open a window or something to see if it goes away.

If it does'nt then something else is causing the prob with the video card.

I assume it's a agp card.

Try upping your agp bridges voltage a tad, some say 1.6v and others say 1.7v for that nf3 chipset.

Also if you got agp clocked up a bit, put it back at the standered 66mhz, it'll help a little.

Try down clocking the core some more, below stock.

Nvidia cards can sometimes be built super cheapy, maybe all of them kinda now, I dn.

My gf4 could'nt do stock speeds at 1st it's self, untill I redid the thermal gel on it.

Try that 1st, if the prob is still there you could try to limit any heat, open a window or something to see if it goes away.

If it does'nt then something else is causing the prob with the video card.

I assume it's a agp card.

Try upping your agp bridges voltage a tad, some say 1.6v and others say 1.7v for that nf3 chipset.

Also if you got agp clocked up a bit, put it back at the standered 66mhz, it'll help a little.

yeah that didnt help either... still not 400$ video quality. guess its my fault I overclocked it. Usually i thought you see artifacts before performance is screwed. o well hopefully BFG will take it back without knowing that I overclocked. I'll just play stupid.

:(, if you got warrenty then go for it ;).

I thuaght bfg came oc'ed anyways?

Well with mine it came with white gel, it was completely dried up, and barely touching the core.

I baught it refirbed, I think someone tried overclocking it and overheated it a bit, because there's a small bubble in the pcb about an inch away from the core, plus the fact the way the gel was dried up completely like that.

Anyways while your trying to refirb it, look in the stikies for the agp voltage, it's probably in there, if not look around a bit.

The nf3 board is like the nf2 ones a little, the agp needs a bit more voltage then stock in order to get everything running right.

The best test I've found so far for agp voltage is on the ut2k4 demo.

The ctf map, it'll lockup before a single match is over if it does'nt have enough voltage at 66mhz-81mhz agp.

At 100mhz it stutters like a mofo without 1.7v.

At 66mhz-81mhz it acts like the core is overheating, for the longest time I thuaght it was the video card acting up, until I figuer one day my probs were from trying to do a fake qaudro mod (softquadro using nvstrap).

But I still had lockeups in that game, in ctf, with a down clocked core, I tried every timing and nothing, then tried the agp voltage and pow, worked.

So I check it at 66mhz again because that locked up too, did'nt lock at 1.6v instead of 1.5v.

I have'nt found a better test yet for that :).

A bit off topic:

I used to use ut2k4 demo for testing the memory oc on the video card, still works great.

I've found that doom3 works better though, farcry is slightly better then ut2k4 though in some spots of the game, but doom3 seems to be the best.

For the core overclocking on the video card I use 3dmark03, game test 1 (gt1).

I set it at 1024x768 and run the test 3 times in a row.

If it hitches at anyone of the runs it's not stable enough at that clock.

Again I have'nt found a better test for that.

This could depend on the card though.

For my old quadro2mxr (gf2mx 400), I used halo for testing.

Pardon the question, but what are you using to OC? Are all these options in the BIOS, or is there another utility?
For the system or for the video card? For system,all settings are in bios. For video card, do a google search for coolbits2, or rivatuner.

Right now I have the BFG 6800 GT ( alreay oc'd). With the stock cooling, would it be wise to oc more? Also, since it is OC, I am thinking that I will need to raise the AGP Voltage a lil more than the stock setting now. Does coolbits or rivatuner monitor temp on the gpu? I doubt that it would but it might? If not - what program would you recommend?

My 3dMark score def shows me that something isnt right.. I only scored 2500.. :(

I know coolbits will show the temp as long as the temp sensor is enabled on your card. I had to mod the bios on my card to get temp sensor enabled. I'm pretty sure I read rivatuner will show temps too,haven't tried it. Coolbits has a setting that will oc your card and test the settings for you.