Sign in to follow this  
BlackKnight755

Possible dell upgrade...

I have a Dell Dimension XPS T450,PIII 450, and I would like to upgrade the motherboard, processor, hard drive, you might as well say the whole thing. I have had good service with the Dell, but it is just too slow for my needs now,(it was bought new in March 1999.) I want to install a new motherboard that will support an AMD processor, possibly a Palomino or Thunderbird. I would like for some of you to give me some Ideas and suggestions on a motherboard-cpu combination. I want to install A fast CPU and I plan to overclock it. Also I am wondering about the memory, should I go with a motherboard that is SDRam compatable or one that is DDR compatable? Any other help or suggestions will greatly appreciated. I plan to do ALL that I can to keep it cool - big fans, better IDE cables, upgrade to bigger and better power supply, upgrade all the heat sinks... everything that I can, and anything else that I can think of to make it run cooler/faster!!!

By the way I think that the motherboard in my Dell is an ATX, am I correct or is it possible that Dell used many different kinds to build this system?

Thanks in advance... BK

Guest moving_in_the_dark

Fast system usually equals lots o' money being spent...

Rock solid system -

Recommend a ASUS or Gigabyte mobo - mines a gigabyte K8NS Pro works well, got a dual bios so if anyone constructs an assembly line virus and my bios gets infected the backup heals it. Also it has a ridiculous 1600FSB?! God knows what for but still cool.

WIth this MOBO it will allow up to AMD 3500+ socket 754 unless you get a different mobo to accomodate socket 939 which allows up to latest AMD 4000+ Mind you these arent cHEAP MOBO GOES UP TO

um...i'm confused. Do you want to upgrade your dell, or build a new system? It sounds like you want to build a new system, so that starts us off with a whole separate plan.

To start with, would you say that you plan on gaming or doing video editing, etc.? What is the main purpose of the system? Give us an idea on how you use and we can start putting together something from the ground up.

If i'm totally off-base, let me know, maybe I just don't understand what you're asking.

From the sounds of things, you might as well just build a whole new system! It would be kinda useless to try to salvage a few parts from a perfectly good (old) system.

If you're really on a budget, go check out something like fatwallet and find a deal there (I bought a 3.0 with a X300 and a 19" LCD for $549 about a week ago). If you have money to spend or want to learn, go for a handbuilt.

I would recommend getting a AMD64 3200+ or better and getting the new Nforce4 board from MSI and getting a 6600GT. Find you some ram (newegg has a sale on patriot ram, 1 gig for $100) and you'd be set to go.