Sign in to follow this  
Freezer26

Which should I get..DFI or MSI??

Hey you guys I'm back, upgrading to 64 now.....took your guys advice....now here is my question, I'm looking at the MSI K8N Neo4 SLi and the DFI "LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR...so tell me which should I go with, am hoping that even though this is a DFI forum that you will give me some neutral advice on both, I have found them both to be highly recommended boards and have also found that there is a similar amount of problems with each, I guess what I'm saying is, this is my first 64 setup, so I want to do it right!!

Also: I have already bought this: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-122-209&depa=0

and this: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-145-544&depa=0

and this: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-103-499&depa=0

I will be getting a second stick later as I know that they support Dual-Channel, and from what I hear run alot smoother in that mode too...??

So please let me know as I want the mobo to give me as few of problems as possible, ( and yes I know that's what everyone wants, and is not possible, but I'm sure you get my drift!! LOL)

I am gonna go with the 3000+ for now with the Arctic Cooling Freezer64 as a cooler for it, (mainly cause of the name...no....but funny, good one!) Also if anyone knows if this is a good cooler or have used it, I would enjoy some feedback on this..thx!

Any of you pimp butt playa's that reply, thanks ahead of time!!

"Teamwork is essential -- it allows you to blame someone else."

I've tried them both now...the DFI rules. I've picked up significant gains on my CPU and mem overclocks with the DFI over the Asus and MSI SLI boards.

I guess the biggest reason is because of the problems I am still having with this DFI setup I have now, I can't OC it at all, just kinda gave up on it, even at stock settings I have freeze ups and gotta reboot sometimes about 6-10 times before it gets back to windows. These are the problems I do not want to have at all!! If I overclock at all now it will definetly freeze, no matter what I do, with 9 fans I have kinda ruled out heat issues, but who knows, getting off-topic! Like I said in some of my earlier posts, I used to be a hardcore MSI guy and never had any probs like that.....so this is why I want to know mainly!

Thanks for the fast replies by the way!

i had the MSI K8N Daimond and it sucked real bad! let us never buy MSI again :)

the board had to less of a voltage settings and tweaks for my taste.

So if DFI, my next question, where do I find one in stock without breaking the bank??

Newegg is out of stock and there's another place thats about $340USD with shipping, hell no!!

Any ideas?

I've tried them both now...the DFI rules. I've picked up significant gains on my CPU and mem overclocks with the DFI over the Asus and MSI SLI boards.

Ditto. :nod:

So if DFI, my next question, where do I find one in stock without breaking the bank??

Newegg is out of stock and there's another place thats about $340USD with shipping, hell no!!

Any ideas?

I've owned MSI and I will NEVER go back. DFI makes good quality boards. I read the Diamond forums (now closed to the non-registered public!...gee, I wonder why) and I was shocked to find they were selling that diamond board and was advertised w/ wifi, yet many did not receive the card. They should be ashamed of themselves!

I've owned and tested many boards and can tell you the DFI SLI-DR that I have is VERY stable and faster than my Asus A8N-SLI at stock speeds! It even oc's MUCH easier than the Asus (also a VERY GOOD quality board too!)

Considering you're in a DFI forum, I'm tipping most people are going to recommend getting a DFI!

But most people are going to recommend the DFI because they simply make better products, and better products for overclockers. DFI strive to make products that perform better and more stable than everyone elses. They strive to make products for the overclockers!

MSI in my opinion are dodgy, look what they did with selling nvidia 6800's as 6800GT's. They have admitted that it was a mistake, but it took awhile and a lot of backlash.

Any ideas?

You can get on the list here: http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/m...gory_Code=A64MB

I have a gift certificate at the EGG so I'm waiting for them. Somewhere I thought I read that the EGG was due the first BIG shipment. I spent about 8 hours yesterday searching the world for it, I found that one for around :eek: $350us :eek: in the "Outback" which was a major he**no. I also wrote to many stores and DFI too. One store owner responded this Wednesday!?!?!?!?!? It's in Canada.

About the MSI NF4 board(s)..........I own one of these as well(7125...not the 7100), and it WILL hold it's own against the DFI clock for clock. It may never be the overclocking beast the DFI is, but it by no means is it a bad board...............far from it.......

Pics of both boards if you like.

Just messin around on the Neo4

Chipset goop on Neo4

Rev A3 chipset.......duh!......messin with the Gigabyte guys that got Rev A2 chips........LOL..

Desktop shot of Neo4

Family awaiting the arrival of newborn baby DFI

It's here

Clipping the umbilical cord of baby DFI

DFI chipset pad

6800GT OC with ZERO clearance b/t chipset fan....no problem though

XP-90 on DFI board

SSshhh..... Baby DFI asleep in the cradle

Sunday drive on the DFI

Freezer26, the probs you have with your ultra b are probably because of you cpu, I'm sure people have told you this, I would think they would.

I allways buy the best I can, I would'nt ever buy a desktop cpu if I could help it, unless it was the at64 939, which I would in turn pop off the hsi lol.

Anyways that's no excuse for the poor reliability for a mainstream cpu, that's for sure.

Then again you can't expect to much from a cpu that's locked either.

I had this board of mine working just fine with a 1.6+, locked, palominio myself.

Clocked just as far as it did in the aopen ak77-333.

But it was better because of the options that's for sure, reliability blew the aopen away.

I mean buy a huge amount.

Then when I got my new cpu, man oh man, I was so happy, 240 fsb out of the box, with a mobile and some crap corsair ram that would'nt do 336 mhz, or maybe it was 339, now doing allmost 400 mhz with lower timings.

That was just an awesome upgrade for me, not only was I at a higher fsb then everyone else with a diff brand mobo, I did it with crap memory.

It was great, farcry doubled in performance :D.

I got about 1.8ghz out of the little cpu with it being locked anyways, out of stock 1.4 I think.

Same as the aopen, but the aopen at that speed was unreliable sometimes, so screw that.

Now this baord can do some awesome things, and if it was'nt reliable it would'nt even come close to what alot of people have done with it.

Still, I think if can't get the board useable, you could be better off with a diff board.

Other boards might be easier to setup, that might be a good strong point for you ;).

Some of us are used to these kind of things, others are'nt.

So it's totally up to you buddy ;).

If you need reliability, maybe you should wait on that upgrade, wait for thigs to calm down for all the board manaufactuers maybe.

For a better bios, for DFI at least (don't care about msi myself) the big one I'm thinking about is mem compatibility.

I see alot of people here having mem probs and not even having a clue why windows has bsod's, etc.

When you get the latest and greatest, you end up being a beta tester for the most part ^^.

Edit:

Moocow, was it the MSI NX6800GT-TD256 ?

I saw the thread on guru3d, but never looked at it.

If so, it's really a 6800u but sold as a gt ;).

Older rev's had the full out ultra pcb, maybe never sold though, I dn.

Newer rev's have the ultra pcb, but without the 2nd molex, it's the ultra pcb though, just missing a few parts soldered in.