nF4 Ultra-D - Ethernet controller 1 not working.

First off, my sincerest apologies to my Crucial Ballistix sticks. Flashing to the 2/1 beta BIOS instantly fixed all of my install crashes. I had planned on waiting for the BIOS to become *official* but enough people recommended it for me to give it a shot. And the sticks are running at 2.6V. :) Go figure. On to other issues...

The dual gigabit ethernet controllers are, apparently, different. 1 is a Vitesse something or other, and 2 is a Marvell Yukon. Controller 2 is working well. I cannot get controller 1 to work.

The Vitesse driver is not available on the install disk. The install disk just has a generic 'nVidia nForce Networking Controller.'

Am I supposed to download a special driver?

Both MAC addresses have been registered in the BIOS, thanks to a similar thread.

Is there a trick to get the first controller to connect?

One strange thing to note is that controller 2 (the working one) will always appear in the system tray, regardless of the display setting.

Connected to the first controller, ipconfig /all has the same information as when the Marvell is connected (differing IP addresses).

Has anyone seen this, before?

yeah I had that problem. All you have to do is install he Nvidia drivers. then in your network connections folder enable the Nvidia nforce one or the Marvell which ever you want to use. I just switched from one to another and they both work

Both are installed with the proper drivers. Controller 1 never works, regardless of controller 2's enabled/disabled status.

I think it's a setting somewhere, since it obviously (ipconfig) is getting a connection. All other settings are the same between the two controllers, which is why I was curious about needing a new driver.

Oh, and both firewalls are off for both controllers.

maybe its bad? I disabled one cause I didnt like the "x" sitting on my taskbar. then to test it jsut plugged it into the disabled one. clicked enabled waited for it to do so then gain info and bam working just fine.

Have you tried installing the Network drivers off the CD you got with the board?

To get the Marvell network port to work you have to install the Network drivers separately. That's what I did anyway.

Both MAC addresses have been manually set in the BIOS. Both controller drivers are installed. I think the settings for the two ports are exactly the same. ipconfig yields correct results. I just can't figure out if the nVidia port is receiving. I would chalk it up to a bad port, but it seems like ipconfig wouldn't give correct results with a busted port.

Would a bad ethernet controller still produce correct ipconfig data?

I'd hate to RMA just for a controller that will probably be used once.

no. a defective NIC will not give proper IP address/config data, and only in the most rare of cases have i seen an defective NIC pull proper DHCP

Thanks, everyone.

I decided, since I was early into the setup process, anyway, that I'd just start over.

I cleared the CMOS just in case it was holding strange MAC data.

At first boot I reentered both MAC addresses (1, then 2).

From there I installed Windows with controller 1 plugged in.

This time, Windows recognized the connection and was able to have everything running before the install was completed. I'm currently transferring files from this PC to the new one. :)

My first install had been without MAC addresses in the BIOS and without the controller plugged in. I did that setup after XP was fully installed. I think the difference is that, this time, the mobo had the information available when XP was first looking for it. Just a guess.

Thanks, again.