Sign in to follow this  
Tazdrummer

Here is the planned upgrade soon... tell me what you think

Just because you don't want to overclock doesn't mean you have to get a different board.

I chose the DFI board because it does give me all the options I could want for overclocking, but since I run most of my system near stock, I can just tighten up the RAM timings and get some good performance without OCing my CPU.

That said, I may just have to OC some eventually. ;)

The main reason why I went with DFI at first was the look of the board. I wanted to get a case with a window.

I am considering going with the Socket 754 DFI board and pass that one down to my wife in a year or so.

The crazy thing, when I get to contemplating these upgrades I look into it for a month or two before I make a decision. :nod:

The crazy thing, when I get to contemplating these upgrades I look into it for a month or two before I make a decision. :nod:

Take your time making a decision. One of the great things about configuring a system is you get to spend time with the pretty pictures while reading all of the nice ad copy and reviews. This is the golden time of building computers.

The hard part starts as soon as you enter that credit card number. Once you click OK on your purchase the anticipation of the delivery starts to rise.

Opening all those crushed and dirty shipping boxes is a lot like having a birthday party but you paid for the gifts.

The actual construction can be nerve wracking up to the point where you power it up and things work like you want.

I do this for a living and still get the same kick out of building the cheapest little internet box for a kid down the street as I do building multi-terabyte application servers.

It's all good.

Take your time making a decision. One of the great things about configuring a system is you get to spend time with the pretty pictures while reading all of the nice ad copy and reviews. This is the golden time of building computers.

The hard part starts as soon as you enter that credit card number. Once you click OK on your purchase the anticipation of the delivery starts to rise.

Opening all those crushed and dirty shipping boxes is a lot like having a birthday party but you paid for the gifts.

The actual construction can be nerve wracking up to the point where you power it up and things work like you want.

I do this for a living and still get the same kick out of building the cheapest little internet box for a kid down the street as I do building multi-terabyte application servers.

It's all good.

I know what you mean.

Sometimes I get frustrated with myself with how long I take to make a decision.

I still claim if I won the lottery I would buy parts and build a system a week and either donate it somewhere or sell it even for a loss.

The crazy thing, when I get to contemplating these upgrades I look into it for a month or two before I make a decision

I hear that, I've been 'almost' buying a new video card since before Xmas.

Take your time making a decision. One of the great things about configuring a system is you get to spend time with the pretty pictures while reading all of the nice ad copy and reviews.

momma will tell you that I am the most annoying, anal-retentive, cheap-miser there is when ti comes to shopping for ANYTHING. Especially computer stuff.

take for example two mornings ago...I needed another Fortron Blue Storm 500w 24-pin psu

but

newegg was out of them at that time

so i went on the shop-trip across the net

after 3 hours of looking and pricing and looking some more, I had come down to either the OCZ 420w Powerstream or another FOrtron 500w...and I had 3 order pages up at 3 different places, all orders within $1.50 of each other (two with the OCZ, one with the Fortron, plus some floppy drives and a fan controller).

so instead of just going with SVC and getting the OCZ, I called Rgone.

and spent over an hour on the phone with him debating the merits of OCZ psu vs the Fortron that we already own and love.

then after getting off the phone, I debated and looked around for about another 45 minutes before finally getting the order through at SVC...i went with the OCZ for the sole fact that I do not own one at all, and it has adjustable power rails, and it has very clean power and hardly any ripple.

I would order another Fortron 500w BlueStorm in a heartbeat, and the next psu I order will definitely be the Fortron...but this time I wanted the OCZ...so after almost 6 hours of deciding...I got what I wanted.

momma will tell you I am annoying but she will also tell you that I almost always get exactly what I want, and I ALWAYS get the best deal for my money ;)

momma will tell you that I am the most annoying, anal-retentive, cheap-miser there is when ti comes to shopping for ANYTHING. Especially computer stuff.

take for example two mornings ago...I needed another Fortron Blue Storm 500w 24-pin psu

but

newegg was out of them at that time

so i went on the shop-trip across the net

after 3 hours of looking and pricing and looking some more, I had come down to either the OCZ 420w Powerstream or another FOrtron 500w...and I had 3 order pages up at 3 different places, all orders within $1.50 of each other (two with the OCZ, one with the Fortron, plus some floppy drives and a fan controller).

so instead of just going with SVC and getting the OCZ, I called Rgone.

and spent over an hour on the phone with him debating the merits of OCZ psu vs the Fortron that we already own and love.

then after getting off the phone, I debated and looked around for about another 45 minutes before finally getting the order through at SVC...i went with the OCZ for the sole fact that I do not own one at all, and it has adjustable power rails, and it has very clean power and hardly any ripple.

I would order another Fortron 500w BlueStorm in a heartbeat, and the next psu I order will definitely be the Fortron...but this time I wanted the OCZ...so after almost 6 hours of deciding...I got what I wanted.

momma will tell you I am annoying but she will also tell you that I almost always get exactly what I want, and I ALWAYS get the best deal for my money ;)

Since I am going to be getting a blue case and you and Rgone said the Fortron or the OCZ, and right here you said the Forton, that confirms it is Fortron for me.

i love my Fortron 530w (20pin) and I love my Fortron 500w BlueStorm.

I would DEFINITELY buy another BlueStorm 500w for any of my 24-pin needs. DEFINITELY.

I bought an OCZ Powerstream 420w just because I have never owned an OCZ psu...I really wanted another BlueStorm Fortron though.

I just cant say enough about how much I think Fortron are great psu's and at great prices (and great service!)

Well, it looks like I am going to get the MSI Neo2 Platinum for the motherboard.

I may not be able to get it right away but.... if the DFI socket 939 comes out before I can get the Neo2, I will get the DFI.

Thanks guys for the info and advice. I (like most everyone else) had hoped to hear that the socket 939 was coming out soon, but.... so be it.