Newcastle vs. Winchester for nF4 Ultra-D

Ok, can someone tell me the difference between the newcasle and the winchesters? Things I've noticed so far:

Newcastles run faster. a 3000+ NC is 2.0GHz while the Winnie is 1.8Ghz.

The Newcastle takes more volts 1.5v vs. winnie @1.4v

They both seem are able to achive same FSB on the few comparisons I've looked up.

Any other differences?

Is it worth the few extra $$ for the Winnie?

-=Mark=-

yes

lower power consumption

lower heat output

can achieve higher overclocks because of the lower power and 90nm process

all results I have seen so far show that the Winchester can achieve slightly higher clocks using much less power and putting out much less heat

newegg has the 3000+ Winchester 90nm @ $149.00 right now

the 3000+ is both, the 3200+ is winnie only, and 3500+ is both.

I ended up getting the 3000+ retail. was a little extra but has a 3 year warrenty. I couldn't wait for my gigabyte board to get back from rma(cpu was bundled with mb), so I bought the 3000+ . I think I can sell the old 3000+ for atleast $100, so I only lost about $65.

Doh, forgot to order thermal paste for my Hyper-6. Good thing I didn't sell it from when it wouldn't fit my Abit IC7-MAX3 P4 board. It looks like it will clear everything on this DFI MB.

-=Mark=-

Well, when I went back to newegg to order the thermal paste I realized I had more money than I thought. I cancelled my 3000+ and reordered and got a 3500+ winnie instead. Shipped it overnight and it should be here anytime. I've got my motherboard installed in my motherboard tray and have my coolermaster Hyper-6 ready to go on. Now I'll go put my RAM in, it looks a little close with that huge Hyper-6, but it looks like it'll clear. I'll put ram in slots 2 & 4 so I can see if it clears it or not.

and I noticed I have thermal paste - lol It was left over from my Geil Ram, the copper compound stuff. Think I'll use the Artcic Silver 5, heard that silver stuff works better.

-=Mark=-

OK, got everything together finally. Had to remove motherboard from tray as the stock heat sink bracket wouldn't work for my Hyper-6. The screws are bigger with stack and the heat sink wouldn't fit. I took off the stock backing plate and ;put in the new one and the screws are very thin, but hold just fine.

I turned it on and got 3 red bars on the MB LEDs, It turned out one of my geil ram sticks are bad :eek: . It works fine on 1 stick but not the other, but I'm gonna test out the ram on my other machine and rma it back for new.

everything else is working great. I hooked up my hard drive after it passed the barebones test and it booted up into my old windows xp install. but, now it won'y read my dvd-rom or dvd-rw drives? It doesn't even show up in the bios. I'll look for new bios update and see what the current bios settings are for the secondary ide channel. also, windows isn't recognizing my raid setup either. but bios finds it just fine. lucky I have a usb dvd-rom drive. got all the drivers loaded. just no raid or secondary ide channel. so far.

-=Mark=-

have you tested each stick individually with memtest?

Yes I tested them several times together, but not individually. and not since I installed them in this board as the 1 stick won't allow it to boot. the motherboard locks up on boot waiting for the memory to pass the test I guess. I have the 1 bad stick in my amd athlon 1600+ in 266 mhz mode and it works so far. haven't tested the memory yet while in that machine. but on this machine it won't boot with just that 1 stick solo, but it will boot with the other stick solo.

still no ide secondary yet. not sure the problem. acts like it isn't even plugged in or something? But all connections look good. tested the floppy and its good. haven't tested the raid yet. but the bios finds it, but windows doesn't.

my bios is already 1/25/05 as is the one on the dfi website. unless they have them elsewhere I could try.

also, I have raid in sata1 and sata2. is that the right two for raid0?

I'm getting ready to install windows x64, does this use std nforce driver sets, or does it need a nforce4 driver set?

Thanks for the help.

-=Mark=-

I had the exact same problem with my memory...Corsair XMS 4400s. One stick worked, the other didn't. RMA'd and awaiting replacement.

Thought it strange for overly expensive memory.

i rma my xlpt once because 1 of the pair fail memtest even at stock and it seems that it can't withstand heat better than the pdp patriot ones...

seems strange even with this rev 2 that suppose to be on bp pcb and now had to use fan on top of it ( much better oc )

I got DVs working. connector wasn't plugged in all the way. doh.

but still no raid? is there something I need to do to get it to show up? I set it in bios under raid setup. then hit F10 to looks at it and it's already config'd for RID0. but nothing in windows yet? was hoping the drive would be still readable as it was on a nF3 board and nF4 would still recognize it. maybe if I just FDisk it and reformat maybe it'll find it?

-=Mark=-