SATA Hard Drive Recommendations

Hi guys,

I've been using standard 40 gig IDE drives for years but the onboard SATA adapter on my DFI Ultra has been mocking me, so i'm getting ready to plop down some cash on either one of those Seagate Baraccudas (with NCQ) or splurge hard on a 74 Gig Raptor (a gift to myself for not pre-ordering a DFI NF4 maybe? :).

Anyway, I remember there were some concerns with Western Digital drives (I think) on these boards, as well as some concerns about the onboard SATA in general, as well as with overclocking (I run 10x235). I'm wondering if this should affect my purchase any if I may have problems with certain drives or drive configurations. I plan on removing my IDE drive completely and running just the SATA drive and my CDRW. Also if there's any driver/chipset issues I should be aware of before doing this i'm all ears :) Thanks in advance,

John

P.S. has anybody on here tried one of those Plextor SATA DVD-RW drives on these boards? I might go ahead and get a DVD-RW one of these days and having an all SATA arrangement might be kinda neat. :)

There are a lot of guys on here running raptors quite happily, I think it was the caviar drives that were causing problems.

Anyhow...if you run into problems when using a raptor there are plenty of very knowledgable folk on here to help you out.

As for the Barracudas, i`ve always loved seagate drives (although i`m not running any in my o/c rig) I`ve heard that the new 200GB Barracuda 7200.7s are pretty snappy. Not sure about the NCQing at the mo, I thought the Maxtor Diamondmax 10s were the only one supporting that at the mo, but I may be wrong....

I haven't used the raptors but I have 2 seagate 200s in RAID 0 (ST3200822AS) they do not support NCQ, which is a little annoying since I think the NF4 board does.

They have been good drives except I'm pretty picky about how loud my system is, and while they are extremely quiet at idle (quieter than the PSU fan in my Sonata case) they are pretty loud and 'crunchy' at seek, I did some research and they are shipped in performance mode (acoustic management is off) and due to legal troubles Seagate does not offer software to switch them into quiet mode.

Raptors and all other WD Drives work just fine on these boards...here is a list I have tried on both the NF2 LanParty B and Infinity:

Raptor 36GB SATA

WD800JB PATA

WD1600JB PATA

WD 160GB SATA

WD 80GB SATA

WD 120GB SATA

i have many other drives also but these are just the WD drives. Always check in the BIOS after installing a drive to make sure it is set to either Auto or LBA...sometimes they revert to CHS and this is what caused a majority of nightmares for WD and other hdd owners

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there, I have a problem with my Plextor DVD RW drive on the Lanparty UT nF3 250gb motherboard. I've only had the system running for about a month and the first week or so it all ran fine. But for the last week or so I can't install anything from that drive. I put an old HP burner in I had sitting around on the IDE channel and everything installs off of that, but the Plextor still gets CRC errors. I contacted Plextor and they first told me to exchange it, now they say there may be a problem with the SATA chipset although I told them the drive worked great when I first installed it. I also contacted DFI support and was told that maybe the NVIDIA IDE SW drivers may be causing a conflict which I did install when I installed the latest NVIDIA chipset drivers. Any help would be appreciated.