PC won't power up

Thanks to Poisonsnak for putting me in the right forum:

I purchased a 2nd hand pc a few days ago. It seemed to be working fine but as of this morning it won't power up.

I don't know the pc's full spec but it has a DFI LanParty875B Motherboard, Intel Pentium 4 2.8, 400W Power supply, an ATI 9200 SE 64MB graphics card, 4*256MB Corsair RAM, All PCI card slots filled.

When the power from the wall is turned on, a small red light under the PCI cards illuminates. When the pc power is switched on, the mothboards's heatsink fan, the case fan and the power supply fan turn 1 revolution then stop. A small red light situated next to the RAM slots turns itself on and stays on until the power supply is disconnected.

I don't see any loose connections.

Sorry, but I haven't built a pc before so I don't really know what I am doing. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ken

you say you've manage to turn it on before this happened? and it was working alright?

just before this... did you happen to disconnect any of the 2 power plugs (20 pin and 4 pin) from the motherboard?

make sure both are plugged in securely.

Yes. It's been usable since being purchased 3 days ago but this morning, nada. I haven't been playing with the computers insides but I have since made sure that all of the connections are in place. Unfortunately, still no power.

Cheers for the reply.

When the computer was working, did you get a prompt from windows asking you which graphic card you wanted to use?

3 graphics cards is most certainly nothing close to the norm. Is there also a graphic card in top most slot? which is the AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port).

Just out of curiosity, are you using this computer in some sort of design application that requires all the cards? Or is just for running multiple monitors for games? Mutiple video cards adds alot of strain on a processor, and im sure there is some software that i have never heard of to control all of them together. Sounds like the best place for you to get support for this system, may be from the builder.

A 400 watt power supply(PSU) is ok, but its just that, "ok". Its not the best choice for computers running alot of energy draining periphials. 3 video cards, if all active, im sure would tax that PSU beyond its capabilities.

If you really dont have a need for all those cards, i would remove all but one. But removing hardware before you get into windows to remove the drivers is im not so sure a smart move.

I really think it would be in your best interest to contact the seller is a polite way, and ask him best way to make this system stabilize, so you can get into control panel/system/device maneger, and find out exactly what hardware is in that thing.

Trying to trouble shoot "maybe this hardware" is just a guessing game, and can get "you" in more trouble then you already are............

All those cards could be differant, or they could be latest nvidia stuff sli'ed together, who knows. Just doesnt pay to go removing stuff blindly.

Thanks for the reply.

The person who this machine was purchased from was running some network with 6 screens (I think he had another machine with a similar set up). Don't ask me what for though. He's moved back to South Africa and it was his ex-girlfriend that sold me the machine.

I don't have any of the PCI cards connected to any screens. There is only one screen running from the AGP port.

I am leaning toward a fried motherboard, but I don't know how. The reason being is that there seems to be power coming from the PSU as there are two red leds on, one when the power is connected and one when the computer gets turned on. Apart from the single rotation of the fans, nothing happens.

I wouldn't know how to check what piece of hardware it is so I definitely agree with you; playing with the hardware (for a newbie) could be even more disastrous. :eek:

please check the rules and the Important Info threads stuck to the top of this section, paying close attention to the second post in teh 'critical' thread (about system specs in your sig).

this helps us tremendously to help you solve your issue if we can see what is in your system every time you post.

Be as thorough as possible please. Voltages, timings, settings, bios version. The more information you give us about the problem, and the more details about your hardware in your sig = more help we can give you.

after putting your specs in your sig, then you need to do the following:

first, clear cmos as per this thread in the sticky:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...478&postcount=4 (second half of the post)

while doing that, you need to remove all periphials from the board, and remove the board from the case. Put it on an anti-static bag or some other item that will not generate static electricity nor will it short out any components on teh board (ie: do not place it on METAL or anything conductive!)

once you have that, plug in the big 20-pin power block, and also the 4-pin block that goes near the cpu.

ONLY have the cpu + heatsink, 1 stick of RAM, and a single video card plugged into the board. Replace the CMOS jumper and battery, and turn the switch on the back of the power supply back on so you see the LED light up on the board.

then try to power up the board using the button (switch) on the board itself (there are two, one for power, one for reset)

I would love to add all the information to my signature as requested but seeing as I can't power on the machine, it's a little difficult. I added as much information as I could "see" in the original thread, but I'll add it my signature as requested.

I took out all the peripherials and excess RAM. I took out the battery and used the jumper to (hopefully) reset the CMOS (I guess all I do is move the jumper across 1 set of pins and sit it there for 30 seconds).

Put back the CMOS jumper to its original position, replaced the battery, plugged in the power and started from the motherboard. Still the same symptoms ... 1 revolution of the fans and a little led-light next to the RAM slots (as well as the led-light by the PCI slots which stays on as long as power is connected).

I know I said this was my computer, but its actually my flatmates (it was just easier to say it was mine than go into this story). I need to mention that as he wasn't keen on me taking out the motherboard so that's the only step I was unable to perform. Something strange though is that there is no bottom plate protecting the Maxtor hard drive. It is open to dust and other objects interfering with it.

Cheers all, but still not working :confused:

DFI LanParty Pro845B MB

Pentium 4 2.8GHZ

4 * VS256MB400 Corsair RAM

400W Power supply

ATI 9200 SE 64MB graphics

Belkin Wiress PCI Card

Mercury USB PCI card

3 64MB Geforce 2 MX-400 PCI graphics

harddisks are that way, no cover on the underbelly.

if you have a spare PSU, it might be a good idea to try it out with your board.

or...

you might want to remove all the extra peripherals and just try booting up the system with the bare essentials... 1 stick of ram, CPU, 1 HDD and 1 graphics card.