LP NF2 Ultra-B 4Leds

Ok one thing I notice is that whenever my CPU is in the socket, around the CPU I can hear this wierd buzzing noise. Not really that loud, but loud enough to notice. I know it has to be the CPU cuz I can hear it with all components in and all components out, and when the CPU is out of the socket, it makes no noise. Is this a sign my CPU is bad? or normal for this motherboard?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My motherboard makes kind of a buzzing noise when it's running, it's very faint I pretty much have to have my ear on the northbridge heatsink. The sounds gets louder as I turn up the FSB. The system is stable though and a couple other NF2 boards I have seen do it as well so I'm not concerned.

Is there someone around that can hotflash for you? It's not as hard as people make it out to be, though you have to be careful.

Maybe try to boot with no RAM and no video card. The board has beep codes for both bad RAM and bad video so maybe you'll hear something. I realize that 4LEDs pretty much means it hasn't even got a chance to try the RAM or video but when you're running out of options like this you have to try something hehe.

I have tried taking out everything, just asking for a beep code, but nothing. I am about to give up and just buy a new motherboard and processor.

It is likely that your problem is bios corruption. The symptoms sound familiar and especially after hearing stuff like:

Oh and I've never booted the mobo, since I just borrowed it from a friend and he said it just started doing this.
If bios corruption is the problem you don't need to go by a new mobo and cpu. You just need to get your chip reflashed. You can hotflash it on another NF2 board or you can contact DFI and see if they will work something out for you. You can also purchase a new pre-flashed chip from some place like www.badflash.com.

But you also say:

I tried to piece my computer back together, but somewhere along the way, something got fried. My mobo would boot, but no video. I thought nothing of it, since it was a crap board, and asked if I could borrow my other friends spare NF2.
Which suggests that maybe there wasn't really anything wrong with your old board and that some part was causing the problem. And that defective part could be causing your problems on the NF2.

I don't know which one... if either..... is your problem. My best suggestion would be to test your stuff out in other... known working... computers and find a way to get you bios chip reflashed.

you will need proof of purchase for warranty repair/replacement. Warranty is 3 years from date of purchase on receipt.

if you do not have a receipt, you can either try to have your friend get a reprinted receipt from place of purchase, or you can pay around $35.00 for DFI-USA to fix the board (might be more depending on what needs fixed, replacing, but $35.00 is the normal amount)

ouch. sounds familiar.

1) try with nothing connected except for PSU, cpu, one stick of ram and a PCI video card. after more than 8 hours of troubleshooting with a friend when i was first getting this thing going, a PCI video card was what saved me.

2) bios savious are your friend. at about $30 CDN, they are well worth having for the insurance.

3) if/when you DO get things going, get that flakey SOB running the 06/19 BIOS