Lanparty NFII Ultra B will not post.

I've had stability issues almost from day one with this board. Some times the NIC would just cut out for no reason. After a reboot it would work fine. I've also had problems with random lockups. After swapping this with that and going back and forth with the techs at DFI they told me to send the board to them under an RMA. I was pretty excited because I thought my problems would finally be taken care of. I read a lot of reviews and a friend recommended me this board.

Well fast forward to today. I install my processor, memory and video card and fire it up. It's alive!!! Not so fast. The 4 LED's are all lit. So I tried clearing the BIOS. No dice. I tore apart my old system and yank the video (GeForce 2 GTS) the processor (AMD XP2000+) and the memory (Mushkin 256Mb PC2100). I install em into the DFI board and fire her up. Nothing! All 4 LED's are still lit. WTF? I pull the memory out. No beep. I pull the video out. No beep. I pulled the processor out. No beep. Nothing. The board shows no signs of life!!! I even tried an old AMD 1800+ processor. Same thing. All of the other componets I've tried are in working condition.

Does anyone know where the serial number is located? I am almost 95% positive that DFI sent me the SAME board!! I am going to be pretty upset if they did. I went back and forth with them forever. My history with this particular board was well documented. I was hoping they would just swap the board out with another one off the shelf. I'm not sure if this means anything but before I shipped the board I wrote down the two numbers located on the AGP slot. They are the exact same on the board I received.

Please HELP! I am about to throw this board in the pond out back. All I want is my computer back.

-mcvickj

I believe the stickers on the AGP are the MAC addresses for the 2 NICs. These are easy to change anyway so they probably changed them for you on the new board in case your cable modem company is annoying about MAC addresses or something.

There is a sticker below the 3rd DIMM slot that appears to be a serial number though.

How are your PSU voltages? One thing you can do is short the green wire to one of the black wires, this will turn the PSU on and you can make sure one of your lines isn't malfunctioning. Or try the PSU from your other system if you want.

edit: I would probably do this while the PSU is not connected to anything.

Another thing to consider is BIOS corruption, do you have another motherboard that takes 4mbit BIOS chips you could hotflash with?

Also how did you clear your CMOS? There are a couple ways to do it including:

1.hold insert as you turn the system on

2.remove battery, change jumper, unplug PSU

3.the 'long' CMOS clear (do the above step but wait 8 hours before reconnect)

2nd edit: also there is the J8 jumper, my board has a red jumper cap (it's the only one) it's by the northbridge, by removing this your FSB is set to 100MHz and it can help a lot with boot troubles.

I would try all three before giving up, #3 has saved me once.

Also maybe a quick double check, did you connect the 4-pin ATX12V connector? Most boards will boot without it but hey you never know.

Good luck!

There is no sticker below the 3rd DIMM slot. My "old" board didn't have this sticker either. I see no other set of numbers on the board that could be the serial number. Perhaps some more proof that this is the same board.

I have no idea on te PSU voltages. I can't boot the system so I cant' check them. I tried the PSU from the other system and that didn't make any difference.

BIOS corruption as soon as I pulled this out of the box? I would assume DFI would have tested this board before shipping it back to me. No I do not have another motherboard that takes 4mbit BIOS chips.

I cleared the CMOS by moving the jumper over and turning the system on and waiting a few seconds.

1. What is insert? I am assuming the restart button? If so I tried that and it didn't work.

2. Tried this. Didn't work.

3. I haven't tried this yet because the length of time. I just woke up. Maybe I will give this a shot. It seems like a looong shot.

I tried removing the J8 jumper and see if I could the system to boot with any of the processors. No dice.

I also tried using the 4-pin ATX12V connector. No dice. My Sparkle has it and my Antec does not.

Any more ideas?

I cleared the CMOS by moving the jumper over and turning the system on and waiting a few seconds.

No you didn't?!?!

Read the stickies(critical) on how to clear CMOS and reset BIOS defaults.

The Insert he's talking about is the Insert Key on your keyboard.

Please read the stickies before you take any more actions.

ExRoadie - Yes I did. That is how my other board worked so I assumed the same. I don't see the stickies you are talking about. I tried booting the system up while pressing the insert key. It didn't make any different.

king of nothing - There is no sticker on the bottom of the last pci slot. The baord is laying on top of my card table out side of the case so I have a perfect view of it.

Any more ideas?

Yeah I have a sticker on the bottom of PCI5 as well, actually with all the LEDs on the motherboard and the shiny bottom of the case I can see the reflection quite well.

Since both PSUs don't work it is unlikely they are the problem but for future reference, if you have a PSU just sitting out on its own not connected to any components and you short the green wire to one of the black wires in the ATX connector it turns on, even though no motherboard is attached. Then you can check your voltages.

The sticker I am talking about is kind of near the floppy connector, just below the DIMM slots there are 3 capacitors, then if you move right the board name is shown "LP NFII ULTRA B",followed by a solid white rectangle screened onto the board; my sticker is on this rectangle. Then there is a rectangle outline (still to the right) and finally it should say "REV. A" and "Made in Taiwan".

Sorry about all the explaining I lent my camera out and it's not back till the 15th. Anyway, I'm assuming the solid white rectangle has no sticker on it then?

Finally to actually give you some advice (hehe) I would try the long CMOS clear it has saved me in the past.

The sticky ExRoadie is referring to can be found here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27

it is the 2nd post from the top in this forum (besides announcements) marked "Sticky: Important DFI Info! (critical)" You will want to look at post #4 in that thread.

Poisonsnake - Thanks for your description. However the sticker was not there. With the help of the picture from king of nothing I have found the serial number. I found the sticker located on the side of the last PCI slot. It is the same number that is noted in the RMA. So now I KNOW this is the same board. What's going on here DFI? Why did you send the same bunk motherboard back to me?

I tried clearning the BIOS the official DFI way. Same thing. Nothing happened.

I guess my next step is to contact Donna at DFI (the same person who worked with me on my RMA) and see what she has to say.