[RESOLVED]PUT IN ADDIN SOUND CARD>> Random crashes games WinXp,

I had this read memory problem to with HL2. If you visit the steam web site you will find that there are others many with nvidea chipset. After posting my problem here at DFI I found a solution that worked for me. Here it is

I manually entered my memory timings in the BIOS and upped the memory voltage to 2.7. Reran Prime 95 and ran 10 hours w/o failure. Best of all I plalyed half life 2 three times each tiime in excess of an hour and no "cannot read memory" crash. If others are having this problem with HL2 they may try this it worked for me.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this read memory problem to with HL2. If you visit the steam web site you will find that there are others many with nvidea chipset. After posting my problem here at DFI I found a solution that worked for me. Here it is

I manually entered my memory timings in the BIOS and upped the memory voltage to 2.7. Reran Prime 95 and ran 10 hours w/o failure. Best of all I plalyed half life 2 three times each tiime in excess of an hour and no "cannot read memory" crash. If others are having this problem with HL2 they may try this it worked for me.

As i posted above here i had it up and running 17 hours in prime 95 without any warning or errors at all, so i dont think this is the issue here.. i also ran it several hours with memtest86 without any errors..

I think there must be something else.. cause noone of my friends have crashes this often.. i suspect it has something to do with teamspeak.. but im not sure.

I had also ram Prime95 and memtest for hours with no problems. I think I had been runing the blend test on Prime 95. When I got the memory error message in HL2 I started to run the other Prime 95 stress tests where things started to show up. Do a search on my user name The_Jager and find the original thread. I think its posted as something like "Prime 95 failed". This memory read error is fairly common with HL2 and CS and I have never seen on the Steam forum that TSpeak is the cause. But maybe it is for you. Its usually a memory timing issue. I can only tell you how I solved the problem.

Hey guys, im back for a small update..

Installed my new soundcard earlier, played counter-strike source for many hours now without crashes.. so appearantly disabling the onboard soundchip and switching to a pci-one seems to have solved my (the memory could not be "read") error messages

dunno why, but its a fact.

Hey guys, im back for a small update..

Installed my new soundcard earlier, played counter-strike source for many hours now without crashes.. so appearantly disabling the onboard soundchip and switching to a pci-one seems to have solved my (the memory could not be "read") error messages

dunno why, but its a fact.

GOOD FOR YOU!! Glad that things worked out !! Here's to ya! Cheers!

I have a hunch that on the next rebuild, you should re-enable the onboard sound and things will work properly. I had that happen on a couple of builds for multiple identical boxes.

Give it a try next time you install the OS.

GOOD FOR YOU!! Glad that things worked out !! Here's to ya! Cheers!

Yeah, really good stuff.. i havent tried Americas Army yet.. but im gonna do that tomorrow, i will keep you updated. Thanks for the help so far ;)

Does anyone by chance know why my memory-sticks just operates on slots 2-3? (the ones furthest from cpu)

if i try to put them to 1-2 or 1-3 the computer wont even run further than end of the bios, just before the windows xp loading screen should appear and hangs., I cant run 1T with them, just 2T.. just asking, since its pretty weird.. the sticks ran perfectly 1T on a MSI board

Seems to be a varied configuration based on the brand of memory used. People's personal experiences will differ on this one. I'm just the opposite as you, I can post at stock settings with my memory in any slots, but as soon as I overclock I have to run in 1 & 3.

DS

Update:

I've played Americas Army for 4-5 hours now without crashes.. before i disabled the onboard audio and installed the new soundcard it would crash within the hour..

:nod:

Problem Solved!

Disable onboard audio - get a new soundcard if you experience (the memory could not be "read") in counter-strike source all the time and other weird freezings / lockups during gameplay.