3400+ Temperature

Guest Gunnar_merged

The temp of my 64 3400 Newcastle is idling at 44, 45, 46. I reseated the proc 3 times, with arctic silver 5. One time it was lower by a couple of degrees but it still seems hot. I have the 8/27 diamond flash bios. Is this normal?

Okay, well I guess I stop worrying about if for a while...or maybe I'll get a new sink and fan. Anyone with a recommendation? Thank you by the way for the fast answer.

i super highly recommend Thermalright SLK-948U (probably wont be able to find one as I dont think they are in production anymore).

Thermalright XP-90 is excellent also

Thermalright XP-120 is large and in charge (its a larger version of the XP-90 to fit a 120mm fan)

see the pattern here?

others will be able to recommend other sinks I am sure, but myself, I only use Thermalright for air cooling, and Danger Den for watercooling.

i see in your sig you are having problems with that Mushkin $129 GB of RAM I recommended...can you give me some info on it? Does it work well in another rig? Is it working bad in just your NF3? Does it work better or worse or same if you shuffle the slots you have it plugged into?

i super highly recommend Thermalright SLK-948U (probably wont be able to find one as I dont think they are in production anymore).

Thermalright XP-90 is excellent also

Thermalright XP-120 is large and in charge (its a larger version of the XP-90 to fit a 120mm fan)

I will also voche for the SLK-948U, it is awesome!! idles in the mid 20s for me

My idle temps for my 3400 were 40 idle, and this was with an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 which I thought was abit high. I flashed my bios though as my sata drives were playing up which seem to be sorted now and it also dropped my temps down to as low as 27 idle.

I got the Arctic cooler 64 because at the time I did not realise the XP-120 did actually fit in the Lanparty 250GB Board, and I was abit weary after buying an Arctic cooler Rev4 Nv5 which the quality and fit onto my graphics card was very poor.

but they seem to have made a good cooler here, other recomendations for coolers are the Asus Star Ice, hyper 6 from coolermaster although Thermalright have proven to be the best on all sockets and you can tell by the quality of the sinks themselves.

throw in three votes for this heatsink.

honest to god I have been around computers for a number of years and have never quite came around a device that is so perfect at it's job. when or if you get the slk-948u and open the package to start the install process you will understand.

took me about an hour or so of searching to find one this past tuesday. performance-pcs.com did have them then but they have since gone out of stock. good luck on the search. i have heard good things about the xp-120 and xp-90.

edit: had a spelling error that was important to correct

Regarding the Mushkin memory...I haven't really messed around with it since I replace my psu and flashed the bios. I did put the second stick in the second slot after replacing the psu, but had errors after the first boot and just pulled it to get the system running. I'm hoping that the psu, new bios and some adjustment of the timings will help. The system is solid with the one stick and the manufacturer's recommended timings. Obviously any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!