Can´t get pass 200FSB with official Bios

carlo75

I´ve just purchased Geil Ultra Value Series 256x2 dual channel, I have a DFI Infinity ultra (NF2 chipset), I can get the memory past 200MHZ without system problems...

My bios Setings are VRam is at 2.8V and SPD settings, this ram comes at 2.5 8-4-4-4 it says on the sticker, I´ve set thoose timmings manually and set them to a relaxed 9-4-4-4 or 11-4-4-4 with Cas 2.5 and still can´t get pass 200MHZ I tried Cas 3.0 and still nothing

I´ve seen this same ram taken to speeds of upto 235FSB, ofcourse not every ram is the same, but I would like to OC just 210Mhz...

I could set them to 2.5 -3-3-3-11 better performance they give me, but still at FSB200

Is there a proven safe Moded Bios that can help me?, I´ve read about the helfire, but what would be the safest proven version?

Thanks for any reply...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, my man, there are those of us who just cannot make it past 200 mHz. however, just to clairify a few points:

what do you have your chipset volted at?

have you cooled your south bridge?

have you done anything to help cool your north bridge? (like replacing the stock pad with AS5)

have you locked you AGP bus at 66 MHz?

is your CPU interface set to aggressive or optimal?

have you tried backing off your CPU multiplier to something low? (like 10x for example)

and have you tried setting your ram speed to 1:1 ratio, rather than SPD?

well, my man, there are those of us who just cannot make it past 200 mHz. however, just to clairify a few points:

what do you have your chipset volted at?

Stock Voltage, don´t know what is it...

have you cooled your south bridge?

Except from the stock cooling this board comes with, A case fan pointed at it.

have you done anything to help cool your north bridge? (like replacing the stock pad with AS5)

No, don´t think i need to temps are 31 to 35ºC

have you locked you AGP bus at 66 MHz?

Locked? well Agp frecuency is set at 66mhz all the time, dont move it in bios.

is your CPU interface set to aggressive or optimal?

Optimal

have you tried backing off your CPU multiplier to something low? (like 10x for example)

Yes 10X, and even 9x and nothing

and have you tried setting your ram speed to 1:1 ratio, rather than SPD?

Yes, 1:1 allways

Sounds like you're going to need up your voltages a bit. Try upping your chipset voltage and your Ram voltage. Lower your Multi as well when you do this. If this doesn't work, try running memtest on your RAM, maybe you got some bum Ram? :confused:

I don´t understand your post, Angry...

Sounds like you're going to need up your voltages a bit. Try upping your chipset voltage and your Ram voltage. Lower your Multi as well when you do this. If this doesn't work, try running memtest on your RAM, maybe you got some bum Ram? :confused:

What chipset Voltage should I use..?? haven´t moved it...

Vdimm is was set to 2.8V and still nothing.

Lowest Multi I tried was 10, I will be lowering it to test as Angry´s screenshots, multiplier set to 9x

thanks

try upping it from default (1.6 volts) to one higher (1.7 volts) and see if it helps.

really, have you ever overclocked before? it is okay if you say "no" because i just want to know how much i need to say explicitly and how much i can take for granted.

angry's post if pretty simple, i think. he is just going through some good bios settings to start out with, for good overclocking, before you start to worry about fine-tuning settings. his screen shots show settings that should allow for as high a raw clock as you are going to be able to get with your specific combination of parts.

oh yeah: don't volt your ram as high as in those screen shots unless you know it it is BH-5 and preferably has some better than average cooling. most RAM will take 3.0 for a while, but "budget" ram might die sooner than you want it to, at voltages like that. maybe do it only for testing purposes, but not normally?

try upping it from default (1.6 volts) to one higher (1.7 volts) and see if it helps.

really, have you ever overclocked before? it is okay if you say "no" because i just want to know how much i need to say explicitly and how much i can take for granted.

angry's post if pretty simple, i think. he is just going through some good bios settings to start out with, for good overclocking, before you start to worry about fine-tuning settings. his screen shots show settings that should allow for as high a raw clock as you are going to be able to get with your specific combination of parts.

oh yeah: don't volt your ram as high as in those screen shots unless you know it it is BH-5 and preferably has some better than average cooling. most RAM will take 3.0 for a while, but "budget" ram might die sooner than you want it to, at voltages like that. maybe do it only for testing purposes, but not normally?

I´ve overclocked for some time now...Lowering latencies of ram and thoose things I´ve done to try to make it work, My settings in bios are as the most I can since there are somethings that don´t apear on my bios screen.

The chipset voltage is really new to me, since this feature is quite new in boards...without using hardmod.

The Geil memories I have come with a aluminun blue heat sink.

One thing I´ve noticed is that the big and yet to confirm Overclocks made to this ram are made with Pentium IV boards and procesador and haven´t found any with AMD XP...nor mobile nor desktop...

have you gone through the slightly weird bios flashing procedure that a fair number of people on this forum have used/reccomended?

i guess that my thinking is that you might want to go back to basics with the 2004/06/19 official bios, using the aforementioned flash procedure, using awardflash and NOT diamondflash image (i, personally had a bad experience with it), load optimized defaults and flash it again in the same way for good luck. then load optimized again, and boot to a floppy with memtest86 on it.

keep a PCI vid card on hand when you flash, BTW. my run-in with the cold boot problem was caused by the computer not recognizing the AGP bus, regardless of what card was in it.

then get ready for seeing a lot of the memtest screen and not a lot of the windows sceen.

start with 15x133, default voltages all around, and angry's reccomended other settings.

if it passes memtest, up things to 166x12 and try again, and so on keeping a clock of 2000 MHz until you hit 200 FSB.

once you are at 200 x 10, then keep upping the FSB with the same 10x multiplier.

if memtest freezes, you usually need more CPU voltage, add it one incriment at a time. if memtest gives errors, add chipset and/or memory voltage, one at a time. do not give anything any more voltage than it needs.

once you are happy with your FSB, and it will make it through a full pass of memtest, then loop test #5 of memtest for 30 or 40 repitions. again, adding just enough voltage to thibngs as they need it.

too much voltage will destabilize things as badly as too little voltage will.

once you have done all of that, i'd be kind of curious what kind of speeds that you hit.

you will need more voltage to get the system windows/prime stable that it takes to get things memtest stable, but it is a safe starting point, where you can definately tell if more voltage has made the problem better or worse.

me, i can get not bad FSB of 230/245 dual channel/single channel in memtest. it is prime and games that i cannot get working above 200.........

advice from someone with a lousy overclock like me may not be worth much, but your situation just sounds so much like my own that i fealt like i had to try.

have you gone through the slightly weird bios flashing procedure that a fair number of people on this forum have used/reccomended?

i guess that my thinking is that you might want to go back to basics with the 2004/06/19 official bios, using the aforementioned flash procedure, using awardflash and NOT diamondflash image (i, personally had a bad experience with it), load optimized defaults and flash it again in the same way for good luck. then load optimized again, and boot to a floppy with memtest86 on it.

keep a PCI vid card on hand when you flash, BTW. my run-in with the cold boot problem was caused by the computer not recognizing the AGP bus, regardless of what card was in it.

then get ready for seeing a lot of the memtest screen and not a lot of the windows sceen.

start with 15x133, default voltages all around, and angry's reccomended other settings.

if it passes memtest, up things to 166x12 and try again, and so on keeping a clock of 2000 MHz until you hit 200 FSB.

once you are at 200 x 10, then keep upping the FSB with the same 10x multiplier.

if memtest freezes, you usually need more CPU voltage, add it one incriment at a time. if memtest gives errors, add chipset and/or memory voltage, one at a time. do not give anything any more voltage than it needs.

once you are happy with your FSB, and it will make it through a full pass of memtest, then loop test #5 of memtest for 30 or 40 repitions. again, adding just enough voltage to thibngs as they need it.

too much voltage will destabilize things as badly as too little voltage will.

once you have done all of that, i'd be kind of curious what kind of speeds that you hit.

you will need more voltage to get the system windows/prime stable that it takes to get things memtest stable, but it is a safe starting point, where you can definately tell if more voltage has made the problem better or worse.

me, i can get not bad FSB of 230/245 dual channel/single channel in memtest. it is prime and games that i cannot get working above 200.........

advice from someone with a lousy overclock like me may not be worth much, but your situation just sounds so much like my own that i fealt like i had to try.

Hey thanks A lot...Will download memtest and try the wierd thing is that memory won´t boot at 166FSB...will try very slow and see if I get it running, maybe waht you say is right.; to mucho OC won´t give me much...just like video cards hit some point when OCling idoes not raise benchmark points...

was not saying that OCing past a certain point does not give benifit (although i'm sure that it COULD happen if the OC was something freaky like 20 GHz, and the program being run was intended for current 2.x GHz systems) i was more saying that having too high a CPU, memory or chipset voltage can reduce system sability and overclockability. the message being that one should use ONLY as much as is needed. not more voltage, not less voltage.