Sign in to follow this  
pjr710

my cd doesnt work!?!?

hey guys .. i just got my new hd .. since my old one died .. i tried installin xp pro .. and my cd key that worked last time ... doesnt work now .. i checked it over a couple times .. and it still doesnt work .. WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!??

yea their website is so friggin confusing .. i cant find a number to call .. their website is awful in my opinion

If you ever enter a number incorrectly.... it gives you a number to contact at that point.....

At what stage does it 'not work' (just interested )

I have this same problem, it's not an activation issue it just slams you with 'bad id, bad id' during the install. I have tried re-entering the key like a bazillion times. One of my newer keys works fine though. (I have a few computers and I never know which key is on which anyway, hehe...) My reasoning is that I am using an OEM XP CD (from one of the computers I built in the past) and my CD-key is for a retail copy. Also the OEM cd is SP2 (very new) where my cd-key is from oct 2001 so maybe this is some kind of piracy protection and they assume you will always use the CD your key came with to install.

Anyway the support link did not help me, other than the antivirus thing which is good to know it's basically Microsoft's standard "you are an idiot, type it in again" style of support. But I will definitely turn off boot sector virus protection on my next format and cross my fingers, thanks psychosis.