Building a new computer!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seek time for a 36.6 gig raptor is 5.2 ms, cut that in half and your looking at 2.6 ms

wd 76 giger is a 4.5 ms seek time. even in raid its 2.3 which is only .4 difference.

or are they benchmarking way over/under there specs?

-Andy

seek time for a 36.6 gig raptor is 5.2 ms, cut that in half and your looking at 2.6 ms

wd 76 giger is a 4.5 ms seek time. even in raid its 2.3 which is only .4 difference.

or are they benchmarking way over/under there specs?

-Andy

you cant cut the seek times in half just by running a RAID-0 array...it doesnt work like that. Seek times will still be the same for a drive no matter what configuration it is in.

seek times on my RAID-0 raptors is about 8.3ms

seek times on my single raptor is about 8.3ms

yeah???? but your cutting it in half cuase each file is split and half and loaded on each one sooo each may spec at a certain time to load a 3 meg file but when both half to load a 1.5 meg file the time is cut in half?

thats what i was under the impression of though i could be wrong.

-Andy

here ya go...read this...raid0 review

"Conclusion

The practical value of RAID 1 stands on its own merit. RAID 0 obviously gives us faster access times that did seem to make a difference in load times for programs which is beneficial for the multitasking business environment. As far as gaming is concerned, there is no real statistically significant improvement. Actually, the results are a dead heat. You don't lose anything by running RAID 0. Two 80 gb hard drives equal 160 gigs here where in RAID 1 they equal 80 gb of storage. So there you have it; if you want faster speed where every little bit helps, run RAID 0. While it won't really help you get more frames per second it will speed along other apps making life more pleasant between games."

i dont have any benchmarks or anything but i 100% agree that it was nuts faster loading programs installing things but your right i never seen a big gain in my load times, but im almost always the first one to load a map in CS 1.6 :)~ i love raid its one of the biggest performance gains i have seen that you notice, (ive never made any signifant jumps i build 1 computer a year for myself.

-Andy