Building a new computer!

well you can see my old computer right below is selling for around and im wanting to build a faster one for the same money :)

i love DFI and i would like to know how are the DFI- UT250's performing? i deifnatly want to go athlon 64.

im a hardcore gamer im gonna get the raided raptors again

vid card i dont know yet

proc unknown except that i want athlon 64

case i love lian li's might get one of there new ones.

ps im thinking fortron or sparkle (maybe one of the new cool unplug the plug ones)

cd/dvd burner undecided on

heatsink/fan undecided

i kinda fell outa the loop ever since the 64's came out so anyone that has some advise it would be greatly appriciated!

-Andy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main question you have to ask yourself is if you want to go the socket754 or the 939 route. Socket 754 for the cheaper route with good value. 939 for extra performance and future-proofing of course. The 0.13 Clawhammers and Sledghammer cores are supposed to be really good, and the new 90nm Winchesters look promising.

For $1500, you can get a helluva tricked out kick-butt 754 system that will get you by for a year, maybe two before the need to upgrade. Or you can get a decent 939 system that will last longer with more room for upgrading. Alot of money can be tied up in the 939 SLI systems by the time you get the more expensive mobo, good memory, and add dual GPUs, etc.

Basically, it all depends on what you are looking for. Either way, you will have a nice powerful system.

DS

Get you the non-SLI version and single PCi-e video card and something along the line of a 3500+ and "good" Ocz 4200EL "tCCd" memory and you will have you one powerful system that will run even a little faster than the 754 and mine was smooth as silk.

RGone...

i can build it all myself this is my 14th computer if have built and sold :)

i just havnt done research on the latest stuff since 64 bit! :P

appriciate the offer though. i order all my parts from newegg they still the cheapeast and best service?

appriciate the advice so far im doing research on the items you all suggested as we speak :)

-Andy

Prices from Newegg:

S939 3200+ (239)

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum (139)

2 x 512 meg PDP XBL (225)

120 gig SAMSUNG SATA hd (85)

LiteOn 52/32/52 cdrw (26)

Gigabyte 6600 gt AGP (205)

M-AUDIO w/ SPIDIF sound (90)

Suggestion for a $1000 S939 rig. Prices include shipping.

Originally posted by AndyA

i want raided 10,000 RPM raptors :) 36 gigers :)

and whats this stuff i hear about NF4 mobo by DFI coming out soon? would i be wise to wait for it?

-Andy

I'd wait for the DFI S939.

;)

dfi's website is already advertising their 939 boards and has been for awhile.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/index_us_noflash.jsp?SITE=NA

last week i just received DFI's 754 board and amd64 3000 newcastle and am very happy with it. upgraded from nforce2. if i had had only $55 or so more though i would've bought an OEM 939 winchester core 2800+ and a 939 mobo.

i agree with everybody else- if you have the $ go 939. but if you wanna save $ and get 90%+ the performance go the DFI 754 route.

u definitely seem like u know what you're doing but i don't understand why gamerz are insisting on RAID. from everything i've seen RAID0 doesn't offer any benefit for gamerz like u and me. can't argue against the raptors, tho.

personally, even though buying version1.0 mobos bothers me 'a little', i'd wait for DFI nforce4 PCIe boards with a PCIe grfx card. should be very soon.

GL- hope this helps.

dfi's website is already advertising their 939 boards and has been for awhile.

http://www.dfi.com.tw/index_us_noflash.jsp?SITE=NA

last week i just received DFI's 754 board and amd64 3000 newcastle and am very happy with it. upgraded from nforce2. if i had had only $55 or so more though i would've bought an OEM 939 winchester core 2800+ and a 939 mobo.

i agree with everybody else- if you have the $ go 939. but if you wanna save $ and get 90%+ the performance go the DFI 754 route.

u definitely seem like u know what you're doing but i don't understand why gamerz are insisting on RAID. from everything i've seen RAID0 doesn't offer any benefit for gamerz like u and me. can't argue against the raptors, tho.

personally, even though buying version1.0 mobos bothers me 'a little', i'd wait for DFI nforce4 PCIe boards with a PCIe grfx card. should be very soon.

GL- hope this helps.

yeah i was thinking about that i usually always waited till atleast revision 1.

man i hate to buy the new stuff when theres about to be some more new stuff coming out!!! LOL but you could be here forever if you thought like that.

**shrugs**

i definatly decided i want it liquid cooled i know that so add in the ableness to overclock like crazy! :)

1500 $ with a badass liquid cooling kit that will cool my proc/vid/north/hdd's

and about the raptors it only takes a few seconds to boot my computer that alone makes me drool. loading times for installing programs is insane. you just notice a real fast increase in everything except certain game map loading times which its been found to be slower at on a couple games but these werent raptors they were testing. did you read that maximum pc? hehe i did it was kinda discouraging to me cause it came out right as i clicked the order button on my 2 raptors!

i straitup love raid and my raptors!

:)

-Andy