Sign in to follow this  
Katch

Help please fooked my XP

Just a quickie.

Somewhere in the windows folders is an ini style file with a line that sets your shell

shell=explorer.exe or litestep.exe etc

lets just assume I may have fooked my PC so bad I can only get into safe command prompt only and I need to manually edit the shell back to explorer from litestep. Any ideas what the file is and where its located. Could have sworn it was win.ini or system.ini but it isn't :(

Originally posted by Katch

Just a quickie.

Somewhere in the windows folders is an ini style file with a line that sets your shell

shell=explorer.exe or litestep.exe etc

lets just assume I may have fooked my PC so bad I can only get into safe command prompt only and I need to manually edit the shell back to explorer from litestep. Any ideas what the file is and where its located. Could have sworn it was win.ini or system.ini but it isn't :(

It may not be your fault directly. See the link below

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306599

Since your referenced Litestep check the link below.

http://www.desktopian.org/litestep.htm

The only time I've seen this error was when a trojan was loaded. If that is the case, format and re-install. Anything less and you're just looking for more trouble down the line.

No no it was my fault I'm playing about with shell replacements and I loaded a bugged shell with no control by default :O

All better now, managed to get regedit working by going into safemode w/ command prompt