Axim X5 Brings Down Lanparty NF2 A

Guest Opie_merged

I've had this problem for a long time. Tried various things to no avail. My Axim X5 connects ok, but eventually will disconnect by itself. It may be 15 minutes later, or it may be hours later. When it disconnects, the computer always slows to a crawl. The Task Manager shows System PID 4 getting 99% of the cpu. I can usually shut down running programs, but I never get as far as shutting down the computer and restarting. Have to hit the reset button.

I've searched in Axim forums and there are a fair number of disconnect reports, but none mention the additional problems I'm having. The Axim stays connected just fine at work. It is the only USB device that I've had trouble with on my Lanparty.

With my bios settings, my system sees my 2500+ cpu as a 3000. It seems that this may have something to do with the chipset voltage, which I have bumped up to 1.80 or 1.90, I think.

Any thoughts on what to look for? I know this board has firewire problems so I'm using an addon card for firewire. Are there USB issues, too? Does overclocking affect USB stability?

When you disconnect your Axim do you still have the problem? Just trying to figure out if the Axim is causing the problem or if something is causing a problem.... which disconnects your Axim.

Your sig shows 4 hd's. Are you using the onboard RAID controller? Some of the boards with the firewire problems have RAID problems too.

Also.... I googled a bit and found this. I'm not really sure if it's of any help in this situation but it might be worth looking into.

I'd probably start by disconnecting all but the basics and then add components one at a time to see if you can isolate the source of the problem.

Have you tried moving the device to another USB port? I have found that there can be a great difference between the front panel ports and the I/O USB ports.

I killed two external USB hard drive enclosures on a front panel port. The rears worked just fine.

If I disconnect the Axim myself, there is no problem. I don't know if USB dies and takes the pda with it, or if it's the other way around. I've never had problems with other devices, so it seems that the pda is guilty.

I am using the RAID controller. I have had some data corruption on two occasions, didn't know whether to blame the RAID controller for that or not.

I've thought about junking the on-board RAID controller, USB, AND firewire, and buying a card like the SIIG 2285 to replace 'em all.

I have not tried different USB ports. I will. I did put a powered hub in between, though, and that didn't change anything.

Yesterday I found two XP updates that had to do with USB and Pocket PC devices. I installed them and stayed connected all night. The problem is so erratic, it's too early to say whether it worked or not.