[Resolved] nf3 UT250Gb - Ethernet has dissapeared

Hi guys,

I wonder if someone can help me. I'm currently connecting to the internet via a wireless network through a router to share my connection. However the need has arisen for me to connect directly using my modem which has an ethernet connection.

I tried plugging it in and the green light next to my ethernet port illuminates, but when I checked in My Network Conectoins there is no ethernet port listed. It doesn't appear in my hardware devices list either. I don't mean it's disabled or anything, it jus tisn't there at all. I tried uninstalling the nvidia drivers, and re-installing them but the LAN port still doesn't show up?

Any ideas? Is there a BIOS setting I might have changed inadvertently maybe?

:confused:

Cheers,

Davie.

Go into the bios, and input your mac address. You can find this printed on the agp port on the mobo or if you rather not open the case, and you can get into windows:

Go to START->Run-> type "cmd" in the field. This will open an msdos window.

@ the c: type: "ipconfig^/all" where ^=space.

The numbers/letters directly to the right of "Physical Address" is you mac address.

Jot this down and then restart and go into the bios. On the bios genie screen scroll to bottom and input that mac address number. No dashes or spaces.

Hit enter then save and exit bios. All should be well again.

Let us know how you make out.

EDIT: Now that I re-read your post, you may need to "reconfigure" your internet connection. Can you Ping the cable modem? The address is probably something like 192.168.100.1

You can also get to the menu of the cable modem by going into Internet Explorer, point to: http:192.168.100.1

Originally posted by cpuz

Another thought, does your nic card show as being enabled under "control panel" -> "system" -> "hardware" ->"device manager" ? If not you may have to re-install the ethernet driver.

I think you're understandin gmy post a bit better now. My ethernet simply doesn't appear in device manager, or network connections. I have a wireless card which shows up, and is my normal method of connecting to the internet. The modem is usually connected to my router. I want to bypass the router and connect my modem directly to my computer using ethernet.

The problem is my ethernet port simply isn't there. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the ethernet driver which I managed without any problems, but the ethernet port still doesn't show up in windows. :(

Is the lan enabled in the bios? If it is, it should show in windows either recognized w/ driver or unrecognized w/ no driver installed. Either way, it should be there.

You enable it in the bios genie. Is it enabled?

Chceked the BIOS and for some reason the LAN was disabled. I don't remember doing that, and can't think why I would, but it's back on now and no problems. Cheers.

Well glad it worked out for you. And cheers right back at ya! :P