Sign in to follow this  
tortie

Memory Divider Question

My computer runs stably at 9x245 at 1:1 memory settings and will also run at 9x275 using the 9/10 divider with added voltage to the CPU, but their 3Dmark scores are nearly identical. Is this normal?

I decided to let it run at 9x245 since the temps are lower. Both setups passed the memtest86 without any errors and are prime95 stable. What do you guys suggest?

but their 3Dmark scores are nearly identical. Is this normal?

Pretty much so. The divider for memory slows the memory buss speed and thus textures offloaded are done at slower rate and likely the difference is minimal as you have found.

RGone...

Originally posted by Rabbi

try the 9/10 (180) divider... it may suit you very well...

Hi. I was using the 9/10 divider when I tried the 275 FSB. Sorry, I posted wrong information. I just corrected my original post.

Originally posted by RGone

Pretty much so. The divider for memory slows the memory buss speed and thus textures offloaded are done at slower rate and likely the difference is minimal as you have found.

RGone...

So its useless and you wont see any speed increase if you raise the FSB but lower the divider?

Is 1:1 wise way to go in Athlon64 overclocking?

The trick to overclocking is, and always has been...

1) finding your memory sweet spot (highest speed without sacrificing timings too much)...

2) finding your CPUs sweet spot (highest speed without feeding it too many volts)...

3) trying to find a final clock where both will be as close to their sweet spot as possible.

the dividers & multipliers are there to make the system more flexible and, hopefully, to make it easier to get everything as close to its max as possible...

do some research round these forums, mess round with your system after that, and before long you'll know where that magic mark is for your system