Problems crashing to desktop when running games...

Well, I'll chime in that I'm experiencing similar problems with HL2 and D3. I'm still trying to get my new system up and running and I'm using those two games to sort of test load. I'm getting error messages that read " Instruction at ########## referrences memory #########. The memory could not be read." I've tried the "sound acceleration" trick (thought it worked at first, but it didn't) and I've very gradually relaxed the recommended memory timings from Cas 2.5, Trcd 3, Trp 3, Tras 10 down to 3, 5, 4, 10. I've also upped the DRAM Voltage up to 2.8 in .1 increments. At that last setting, I played HL2 for about 20 minutes (water hazard) before it crashed. I can keep tuning down, but the load times are going up. Anyone?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should ask...I had oc'd a little w/Powerstrip without success. I mean none. I had used my ATI9600xt in my previous machine and overclocked liberally. I can't bump it at all on the new computer. I did that with only one stick in the machine (machine is solid with only one stick of RAM, albeit slow). What are your thoughts?

My two cents since I haven't seen this covered in the thread.

If you are having problems completing standard benchmark programs like 3DMark, I will say you have a base instability problem. If you have a spare hard drive available(or even if you don't), I would start with a clean slate.

Using the stickies(critical) clear your CMOS and reset to BIOS defaults.

Qualify your RAM as single sticks then in pairs checking all DIMM slots.

Install Windows XP according to the stickies.

Install the benchmark program and see if you complete the test.

Once you can complete the benchmarks you're ready to start installing and testing your games.

I have already tried different ram, a different video card and a new power supply so I think I can count those out as being the problems. I tried my video card and my ram in my bros Dell XPS with no problems. I think I have a defective frontbridge on my motherboard that is heating up and causing the crash...I do not want to have to do tricks or lower any of my settings to simply have my computer work the way it should. I am not overclocking and do not plan on it, all I want is a system that runs stable and fast...I already tried a fresh install of XP SP2 and a fresh install of everything else and I have the same problems :(

Cheers,

Z

This guy seemed to have similar problems to what I am having...I am going to try and round up a sound card and throw it in there and see what happens...I do not know why this would cause the problems, but it is worth a try...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4996

Cheers,

Z

FYI, I have my onboard sound disabled and have an older Soundblaster PCI card installed. I still receive the errors. There's a lot of ideas floating around in the steam forums. Memory timings, the deletion of soundcache files, even a Valve bit on "the glass being half full" that I found. I quote...

The Glass

If you have a glass (your computer's memory) that is partly full of water (programs), but there is a small hole in the glass about 1/2 way up (usually where one memory module ends and another starts), then when you run HL it fills up memory to just below the hole ... any little change in the game that requires more memory pushes the usage above where the hole is and makes a leak (a crash).

I'm NOT saying this is a hard memory error. What I'm saying is there is some location in memory that when HL trys to use this location that something happens.

This might be caused by the motherboard and the memory timing as it switched from one bank of memory to another. Slowing down the memory timing might fix this, overclocking might make it worse.

Anyway, there's a whole checklist that they provide.

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/s...li=&p_topview=1

I'm going to run them down tonight.

I have already tried different ram, a different video card and a new power supply so I think I can count those out as being the problems. I tried my video card and my ram in my bros Dell XPS with no problems. I think I have a defective frontbridge on my motherboard that is heating up and causing the crash...I do not want to have to do tricks or lower any of my settings to simply have my computer work the way it should. I am not overclocking and do not plan on it, all I want is a system that runs stable and fast...I already tried a fresh install of XP SP2 and a fresh install of everything else and I have the same problems :(

Cheers,

Z

Your response sounds like you are frustrated as all get-out and we understand. You also didn't tell us if you did the exact things I suggested. Until you follow a set procedure you're only guessing about the source of the problem.

You're absolutely right that you shouldn't have to "downgrade" your settings just to get the thing to run. That wasn't part of my suggestions.

Trying your hardware in another computer isn't really helping you diagnose the problem. Give the process a chance and you might be suprised at the outcome.

Good luck.

ExRoadie is right. What 3dmark program are you using that is crashing? 01, 03 or 05? I didn't see you mention the version in this thread. If it is 05, That is a gpu intesive bench and I would believe that most of the probs would revolve around the video card.

It seems like the problem is solved!!!!!!

I flashed the bios and then ran SANDRA and Prime95 for many hours....no errors. I then ran World of Warcraft for a few hours and had absolutely no errors. Then I turned on TeamSpeak and crashed within a matter of minutes. I did some research on TeamSpeak and others had the same problem. The resolution was to change the settings in TeamSpeak to wave and I have not had any problems since.

Thank you all for your help, I am keeping my fingers crossed that the problem is solved.

Cheers,

Z