Doom 3 Problems

DEESIGNS

Originally posted by Angry_Games

find a used 9700Pro for about $100-$150

or a new/used 9800Pro for about $160-$200

a universe of difference between the 9x00 series ATI and the 5200

Agreed.

Also, the BEST cheap alternative @ a $200 price point would be the 6600 GT by nvidia. Nvidia cards dominate Open GL gaming as ATI is faster in D3d apps (not by much in D3d).

Wow did I get something started here!. Thanks All

Dave, Since you were asking questions about drivers and Coolbits I will try to answer. I had almost a full page written with all the specs and we had a power out and dumped the connection. Lost all I wrote. GDXYZ*&^% :mad:

I had not heard about Coolbits. Found out how to unlock it in the Reg and it did not have the AGP tab. So I found a download for the Coolbits 2 you mentioned. What a great program WAY COOLBITS!

Using Nvidia Drivers version 6.6.9.3 , 10/20/04 AGP was set to 3.0 But was on Auto so I manually set to 8X. Does anyone know how to find out what the AUTO has a device set at?

You ask what the temps were running. CPU is at about 40 and after I shut the game off it was at about 47. This case has three fans including the PS.

I am attempting to load some screen capture here so you can see the settings and maybe someone can tell me if there are some areas I can improve the performance. I did help it some and was able to finally Beat the SOB Doom 3 Guardian and get the Soul Cube.

Guess I don't know how to upload multiple images. Tried to select several but no deal. Better yet, how do you insert them so they show like yours did Dave

Looks like you are getting somewhere. ;)

Question: What temp is your GPU showing in Coolbits?

Yes CoolBits2 is a must have for all Nvidia Users. You can try to squeeze a little more speed out of that 5200 by overclocking it via Coolbits. Does you GPU have a fan or is it a model with just a big-butt heatsink? My old PNY 5200 only had a hs, but I was able to overclock it about 15%. You can't go wrong with overclocking via Coolbits. It will test all oc's before making them effective. Coolbits won't let you push it too far and trash anything.

Also, goto the AGP tab in Coolbits and turn off fastwrites and vertical sync. Upgrading to the 71.20 "unofficial" drivers seem to help most FX cards performance wise. Here is a LINK to download the 71.20s.

As far as inserting pictures go. click on the "IMG" tab in the vb Code section of the message editor..just above the typing window. Or you can just use the IMG html tags manually. {IMG}Link Address{/IMG}. Use the brackets key "[ ]" instead of "{ }" that I used for example.

DS

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying.

How is the GPU temp listed in the Coolbits. I don't remember seeing anything.

The 5200 only has a heat sink and no fan.

Thanks for the Link Dave. I did download and set up the 7.12 drivers and I think that helped. I pushed the other settings as far as it would allow. At least its not locking up now just a little hesitation in heavy fighting sometimes.

Guess I will just have to save for a better card. I am not seeing a lot of praise for the ATI cards here. Any special reason???

Dave,

That tab for temperature settings in not there.?? I did not have the AGP tab until upgrading to the Coolbits2. This may seem stupid but I don't know how much it is overclocked. I don't know how to tell. Have not been able to spend much time with it lately. There is much I don't know about many of the settings or how they can be tweaked. Such as how many frames ahead I can set it.

There should be a tab there for "Temperature" settings and also a tab for "Clock Frequency", which is where you can overclock. Not sure why yours is missing. You may want to apply Coolbits 1.0 and then re-apply Collbits 2.0 and see if that helps.

Also here is another good Nvidia Geforece Tweaker program. It has alot more tweaks than Coolbits ever thought about having.

Download it HERE

DS