Sign in to follow this  
DEESIGNS

Doom 3 Problems

I am having problems with a slow down while playing Doom 3 at the Guardian/Seeker level. Have not had prolems with performance until this level. At the point where all seekers are killed and Guardian is vulnuerable and throwing balls of flame. I try to move and fire and it slows down so bad I cant aim, fire or move without a lot of hesitation. I did not think with a setup like I have there should be any problem playing the game.

So far I am not impressed with this PC and considering selling the MOBO and trying something else.

I have tryed a slight overclock on the AGP voltage and mem voltage but do not know enought about OC'ing to do more. Didn't think I should have to with a system of this power.

Could someone take a look at my sig and see if there is anything that indicates I should be having a problem. This pisses me off after spending the money to build a new one and stlll does not perform well. I have not flashed the BIO's

I don't think your problem is cpu/mobo related. Even though you video card had 256 mb of ram, the 5200 isn't a real stellar performer, especially by today's standards. I used to have one, and games like FarCry, Doom3 and HL2 killed it. Although my overclocked 5900XT is much better than my old 5200, it will still slow down a little in parts of Farcry and Doom3 on high detail. I am hoping to get a 6800GT soon.

A few questions:

What Drivers are you using?

Are you using the CoolBits2 for Nvidia Control Panel?

What are your GPU temps during heavy gaming?

Do you have fast writes turned off in the BIOS?

In the Bios, is your AGP set to 3.0?

When I first set up my system, and installed all my drivers I ran into some problems. My framerates were really bad, and could only get 30-40 fps while playing COD at only medium detail settings. It was unplayable at High detail. I was pretty mad because my new 64 3000 was performing no better in games than my old xp2000. I knew something was just not right. After doing some troubleshooting, I discovered that somehow during new driver installs, my AGP rate was defaulted to PCI. I installed Coolbits2, changed my AGP to 3.0 (8x) and my framerates jumped to 275-325 on Extra high detail in COD. I'll include a few screenies for reference, for you to investigate.

To see driver version and AGP setting:

nvidiainfo9ho.jpg

To change AGP settings via Coolbits installed if needed:

agp8qq.jpg

Another way to disable FastWrites and Verical Sync:

agp29qz.jpg

Like I said before, I'm positive that this isn't a cpu or a motherboard issue. You have plenty of power in that regards. I think this issue is some sort of GPU dilema. Good Luck!

DS

ASYLUM GeForce FX 5200 256Mb AGP

this is your whole problem right here. Has nothing to do with your motherboard.

FX5200 = one of the weakest gpu's that NV ever released. Period.

Kind of what I expected. The 5200 was a freebee from a friend because I needed something better than the 16 mg Voodoo 3500 from my old PC ( which was good for its time). He told me the 5200 was not that great of card. I will take a look at the settings Dave was asking about and get back to you.

I am just not ready to go out and spend $300.00 + on a new vid card. Or is there a less expensive alternative?

As Always Many Thanks! :O

yah i had a 5200 before i got my 6800GT. Doom 3 ran like asszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :)

I'd recommend getting at least a 6800 if you want to be able to enjoy doom3 properly.

find a used 9700Pro for about $100-$150

or a new/used 9800Pro for about $160-$200

a universe of difference between the 9x00 series ATI and the 5200

My BFG 6600 GT OC is playing Doom3 just fine, thank you very much! There have been some gripes about the latest 6xxx nVidia GPUs but each new driver has really helped. There is a lot of confusion about the differences between all the different versions, too.

If you have plans that include going beyond 1024x768 on a 19" monitor, by all means save up for a 6800. But a 6600GT will handle that res. easily in all the new games.

!bungle

I blew most of a years worth of savings on my current system(I don't currently earn very much!).

It's been about 3 years since I did it last time and I figure that's about right.

I spend most of my off time using it either to watch TV and DVDs or browse the net and newsgroups or play first-person shooters.

With that in mind, I wanted a computer that actually was pleasant to look at this time around.

NOT Friggin' BEIGE!!!

I still haven't added a TV tuner to this setup as I'm having enough fun utilizing my PC as just a PC...

However, I'm on the hunt for the best one for the money. I've got my old TV Wonder VE- but it's mono(ack!) and I'm wanting to stay away from ATi this time around.

I certainly don't have anything against ATI, but I just want a change- my last system had a 9500 Pro and it was fine until the fan died(it will be resurrected soon!)

Later I'll ask in a new thread for input on various TV tuner cards...

!bungle

Originally posted by !bungle

My BFG 6600 GT OC is playing Doom3 just fine, thank you very much! There have been some gripes about the latest 6xxx nVidia GPUs but each new driver has really helped. There is a lot of confusion about the differences between all the different versions, too.

If you have plans that include going beyond 1024x768 on a 19" monitor, by all means save up for a 6800. But a 6600GT will handle that res. easily in all the new games.

!bungle

try beta 71.24 you won't look back. Especially in HL2!