Jump to content

Can I use a notebook AMD 64 chip in a desktop?


Recommended Posts

Hi,

I was looking to build an all remanufactured computer.

 

At newegg.com I say a REFURBISHED: AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1MB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor for DTR Notebooks- OEM "Clawhammer" (man I love that name. Clawhammer, say it with me, CLAWHAMMER.)

for only $133. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....ype=Refurbished

 

I see that it has 1mb L2 cache instead of instead of 512 on the newcastle. I also see they different operating speeds.

 

Can I use this in a desktop system? Is it better? Am I high and reading this all wrong?

 

Muchas Gracias!

 

Namaste!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am no expert on this by no means, but have seen this in forums before.....

 

Yep, you can use a DTR cpu with the DFI. I believe it may take a little modifying to install the HS.

 

I don't think DFI "officially" ;) supports the notebook CPUs anymore, but it will work fine with the DFI 250GB. Also, there are lots of people on this forum that have them and can answer any questions or problems that may arise.

 

I believe that the 9/14 Bios was created mainly to support the use of Mobiles/DTRS. Most people will reccomend the mobile version over the DTR though. The Mobile runs at 1.4v vs. 1.5 for the DTR. I'm not sure about the wattage difference, but I believe that the Mobile uses a good deal less wattage than the DTRs. The Clawhammer is touted as a good core for overclocking. Also, the extra 512 of L2 cache is a bonus to have, and will make up for the 200 Mhz. difference between the Newcastle (2.0 Ghz.) core.

 

DS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by GuruJ

Hi,

I was looking to build an all remanufactured computer.

 

At newegg.com I say a REFURBISHED: AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1MB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor for DTR Notebooks- OEM "Clawhammer" (man I love that name. Clawhammer, say it with me, CLAWHAMMER.)

for only $133. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....ype=Refurbished

 

I see that it has 1mb L2 cache instead of instead of 512 on the newcastle. I also see they different operating speeds.

 

Can I use this in a desktop system? Is it better? Am I high and reading this all wrong?

 

Muchas Gracias!

 

Namaste!

 

A DTR is a drop in and work fines with any bios. You will need to set the CPU volts

manually though.

 

Be very careful of reburb CPU's. They got sent back for a reason ya know.

 

Viper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iam in the market for a 64 processor also, would like to get a 3400 but money is tight right now so i may have to get a smaller one.I saw that one that is refurb my self but would never buy one that got sent back.Like Viper John said it got sent back for a reason,and most likely because it wouldnt OC that well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a 3200DTR before my mobile they work fine..

 

It maxed out at 2.45mhz.. So as you see its no comparison with my mobile.. but then again its all about luck anyway .. Ive heard if its a full moon when you install the cpu you might get lucky too.. ;)

 

But as the others said I woundnt get a refurb for the same reason..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by THunDA

Ive heard if its a full moon when you install the cpu you might get lucky too.. ;)

 

Dancing and chanting to the OC gods while naked with the CPU in northern Alaska

during an intense Aurora Borealis display is said to work wonders. Must be something

with all those charged particles flying around lol.

 

Viper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked into the refurbished chips. Many of these chips were returned for reasons other then problems. AMD said they would never allow a chip with a problem to be resold.

 

THey said 95% of their refurbished AMD64 chips had a problem with the heat sink. Either they were scratched or a pin bent.

 

All the chips still carry the full warranty and are tested to new standards before being approved for re-sale.

 

Any chip with a "working problem" (meaning the chip doesn't work) is tossed and not even attempted to be fixed.

 

I bought a 2500+ Barton that was refurbished and it is still kicking @ss. It is currently over clocked within an inch of it's life. (1.5 yrs old.)

 

AMD said they dont't care whether it is refurbished, new, on sale, or whatever; they would never let a chip out that would make them look bad. They went on to explain that the number 1 way to lose a new customer is to have them get a bad chip.

 

The CSR guy said that he doubts I would ever have a problem with a refubished chip and if I did the warranty is still good as long as you register and clean off the Artic silver and any hints of a customer breaking the warranty.

 

PS- he also said they can test to see if someone cooked their chip by overclocking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally posted by GuruJ

I checked into the refurbished chips. Many of these chips were returned for reasons other then problems. AMD said they would never allow a chip with a problem to be resold.

 

THey said 95% of their refurbished AMD64 chips had a problem with the heat sink. Either they were scratched or a pin bent.

 

All the chips still carry the full warranty and are tested to new standards before being approved for re-sale.

 

Any chip with a "working problem" (meaning the chip doesn't work) is tossed and not even attempted to be fixed.

 

I bought a 2500+ Barton that was refurbished and it is still kicking @ss. It is currently over clocked within an inch of it's life. (1.5 yrs old.)

 

AMD said they dont't care whether it is refurbished, new, on sale, or whatever; they would never let a chip out that would make them look bad. They went on to explain that the number 1 way to lose a new customer is to have them get a bad chip.

 

The CSR guy said that he doubts I would ever have a problem with a refubished chip and if I did the warranty is still good as long as you register and clean off the Artic silver and any hints of a customer breaking the warranty.

 

PS- he also said they can test to see if someone cooked their chip by overclocking.

 

Well for starters the specific Reburb we are talking about here was a DTR. They are

OEM only, are bare die (no IHS) and do not come with HS and Fan etc. About the

only reason a user would return one of them is due to some kind of a performance

or "couldn't get it to work" issue. Now that issue could be the MB the previous

customer tired to use it in or the CPU was crap. You just do not know.

 

You are also assuming the refurb was sent back to AMD. Many times they are

not. The vendors often do a quick boot test on customer returns and to check

them and if they do sell them as a refurb. Refurbs are always a buyer beware.

You can great some good deals with refurbs no doubt but you will never know

the true history of a refurb part.

 

NewEgg's refurb's carry a 15day operational warranty only so you have to be fast

about checking it out as on day 16 you own the sucker be it good, crap or paper weight.

 

Viper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guru,

 

Good luck with your purchase. Just run it through the ringer and torture it for about a week, test it to it's limits. That way you can send it back if something is amiss. For the money, I think you will come out of this a happy camper in the end.

 

:)

 

DS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...