230+FSB Issue

Guest CoXeY_merged

I have a 2500 mobile chip sitting in a LanParty (B) occumpanied by a 1Gb of OCZ 3500 EB platinum RAM and when running 230 * 11 (is Prime stable @ 220 * 12) my on board device drivers seem to have trouble functioning currectly

My USB steering wheel, onboard Lan and onboard sound (well streaming audio over the net) all seem to start playing up when at 230 * 11.

I'm assuming its the BIOS - this is where you lot come in :D I have a version of the Hellfire bios however now there are a number of releases and I am unsure which is the most up to date and compatible with my LanParty rev.B mobo.

Currently I have a version who's file is called "N24LD619-3EG-REV3.BIN" is the most up to date? And are these known problems with this version??

Which BIOS do you recommend as I have noticed some amazing OC's in peoples signatures so it would be nice to get a feels for everyone is using...

Cheers

CoXeY

Thanks for the reply, I had read this before and though I got lucky when I was able to run my old desktop barton @ 240*9

The thread indicates that the problem is partly before of CPC being switched on, to what extent will i degrade performance if i switch it off?

CoXeY

Originally posted by Got FSB??

OCZ doesn't recommend EB memory for NF2 based boards...

They say that now, yet when aproaching the initial release of EB memory the OCZ reps had a 20+ page thread on XS with EB sticks on A64 boards, and a couple screens of 250+ on their DFI NFII's saying NF2 should do fine also. :rolleyes:

So I bought 2x512 3500EB and cant get past 225 with both, or 230 with one, no matter what. And that was after a heavy volly of mails with Andy and Ryan from OCZ who were telling me what I was doing wrong, recommended all sorts of things, then served up some excuses when nothing did much on my NFII while their's seemed to fly, including some BS about the myth of high FSB on DFI boards even though I'd told them I'd acheived 260+ with some BH-5 and 6. They did not respond after that.

Obviously EB is not for NF2 overclocking and OCZ uses a little hype now and then.

Originally posted by CoXeY

Thanks for the reply, I had read this before and though I got lucky when I was able to run my old desktop barton @ 240*9

The thread indicates that the problem is partly before of CPC being switched on, to what extent will i degrade performance if i switch it off?

Performance should degrade significantly. It's been awhile since I've seen that question, but about a year ago I got some BH-5 and ran bandwidth tests with Sandra and if I remember correctly, at 2-2-2-X 220 FSB with CPC was about the same as 245 without. A foggier memory I have is of a thread on Hardforum where someone trying to answer that question on an NF7-S 2.0 couldn't match CPC bandwith at any speed without it.

My nf7-s revision 2.0 is like that. I switched from 2x512 bh05 to 2x256 bh-5 just so i could run with cpc on (damn thing wont run cpc with 4 banks filled). I had some benches comparing the difference awhile back...I'll post them if i can find them.

Originally posted by dobbz

They say that now, yet when aproaching the initial release of EB memory the OCZ reps had a 20+ page thread on XS with EB sticks on A64 boards, and a couple screens of 250+ on their DFI NFII's saying NF2 should do fine also. :rolleyes:

So I bought 2x512 3500EB and cant get past 225 with both, or 230 with one, no matter what. And that was after a heavy volly of mails with Andy and Ryan from OCZ who were telling me what I was doing wrong, recommended all sorts of things, then served up some excuses when nothing did much on my NFII while their's seemed to fly, including some BS about the myth of high FSB on DFI boards even though I'd told them I'd acheived 260+ with some BH-5 and 6. They did not respond after that.

Obviously EB is not for NF2 overclocking and OCZ uses a little hype now and then.

I have OCZ EB PC3200 running at 250, so that's not to say it isn't possible. I've also gotten a 1x512 stick of BH-6 to run @ 250 2-3-2-9 with CPC on too. Stability wasn't too great though.

I think the problem with sound, usb, etc. dropping is more of an APIC problem. Try changing your CPU in device manager to APIC PC and then turning APIC off in the BIOS.

I am using the default bios that came with the board, 11/27.

Originally posted by Spare-Flair

I have OCZ EB PC3200 running at 250, so that's not to say it isn't possible. I've also gotten a 1x512 stick of BH-6 to run @ 250 2-3-2-9 with CPC on too. Stability wasn't too great though.

I think the problem with sound, usb, etc. dropping is more of an APIC problem. Try changing your CPU in device manager to APIC PC and then turning APIC off in the BIOS.

I am using the default bios that came with the board, 11/27.

Cheers Spare-Flair I'll give it a go!

Originally posted by CoXeY

Cheers Spare-Flair I'll give it a go!

According to the FAQ anyway:

I've lost my LAN, USB, and/or Sound at high FSB (how to turn off APIC)

I've personally haven't had any problems with sound or USB lately so I haven't done it myself -although I used to have quite a bit of problems, but I think that was through better cooling of my board. Basically APIC means Advanced Processor Interuppt Controller and assigns your IRQs for usb, sound, devices, peripherals differently. Turning it off solves some problems with crackling sound, dropping lan, dying usb, etc.