WinXP can't be activated after being installed

Now, I got my XPSP2 installed. But I can't activate the windows. It complained about the internet connection. But I can brower the web pages without any problem.

I have tried to disable the onboard network and use a separate PCI network card. But it didn't resolve the problem.

So, I suspect that the onboard firewall may do some funky stuff. I don't understand how embedded firewall could intefered the connection if I have disabled the onboard network. And can I turn off the embedded firewall completely since the XPSP2 already includes the firewall.

BTW, the PCI netword card I used is 3COM 3c450.

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure why you can't activate your windows through the internet, since you can browse ok. But, there are ways to activate it yourself, without the use of the internet. ;) You can turn off the Nvidia firewall by uninstalling it via the control panel. Personally, I would disable the integrated Windows firewall and go with something like the free ZoneAlarm version.

DS

Guest someDude
Originally posted by wolfzzz

Any thoughts?

Probably not it, but make sure computer clock is set to right time. If off,

I know you cannot use update.

Could your firewall have internet access permission allowed for your browser, but not for whatever activation program windows tries to launch when you try to activate it? (If that's how it's done, I don't have to activate my copy so I'm not sure of the process) But, if so, check the program permissions of the SP2 firewall, or deactivate it temporarily while you're activating windows.

You have to be alittle more specific about how you can't activate windows.

You can click on the key to activate it, right? when you do, it should ask if you would like to activate windows. Say yes.

Do you want to register? Say no, just activate windows.

It should then try to contact the windows server to activate.

Be advised, that w/ win xp, you are allowed only a limited amount of activations.

If you just installed a new mobo, then activation will not take place and will have to call a toll free number (to India). You will then read your windows ID.

They will ask if this is the first install, tell them you just replaced the mobo and have REMOVED the previous copy of winxp.

They will then give you a code to input and then activation should be complete.

Hope this helps.

PS: here is another tip. If this is a fresh install, I would wait a week or so before activating to make sure everything is working properly. Since you only get a limited number of activations before having to call, that is what I do. That way you can re-install windows if you have to without losing any activation times.

Guest someDude

that's good advise.

After o'clocking my DFI, windows found new hardware, hehe, and insisted that I register again. They gave me all new code numbers to give to someone on the phone. As she was giving me the last 2 new numbers, my cordless phone battery died:eek:

:D

Atually, the problem has been solved. I am not sure how it's related though.

Since I had refresh my bios before, the system time was intialized to 1/1/19XX. After I have corrected the system clock, the activation issue was fixed as charming. It sounds funny indeed.

Oops, someDude mentioned it in the thread already which I was missing... :)