Sign in to follow this  
purist

using onboard vs. using PCI cards

The other day I heard something for the first time that kinda' shook up my "onboard" world. "I just installed a new audigy 2 ZS and I got 10 more FPS in counter-strike:source". You see, I've been relying on my onboard sound card to power the audio for my system. Well, I figured this would be more than satisfactory for gaming. Apparently using onboard audio utilizes quite a bit of one's CPU though (I didn't know this previously = novice).

I'm wondering if y'all can educate me a little more on this. I'm also wondering if this applies to all onboard components. Should I got pick up a separate NIC card and stop using the onboard connections?

It's my understanding that it's the implementation of the onboard sound that can affect how much CPU time is utilized. And it's not only a problem with onboard, some sound cards utilize CPU cycles to process the audio (I believe the Mad Dog sound card is one such card). Having said that the Soundstorm audio chipset is one of the best on the market and impacts your CPU cycles no more than an add on card. If you google soundstorm you'll find a whole slew of articles pertaining to this. As far as onboard NIC, you won't see any difference getting an add on card, in fact you may see a slight hit on your CPU depending on how many PCI cards you have in your system.

This is just a basic explanation, and I'm sure some of the other guys in here can give you a better understanding.

Creative has the best cards for gaming as far as CPU usage goes. Source is also known to be extremely CPU intensive, so anything that alleviates the load could contribute a good amount to increasing FPS. Seeing as how I'm a big CS/Source player myself I've been thinking about it, but right now I don't have the cash and the onboard is pretty damn good for audio using the SPDIF out.

So, I'm wondering what drivers I should be using to take advantage of what I've got. In source I get a lot of lag once sound effects come into play - very annoying. I'm thinking that I may not be utilizing my drivers correctly and/or there was a better driver a while back that I never new about. Can I get some help with this? Currently I have the latest nvidia system drivers. I swapped out the audio driver that comes with this bundle in favor of the audio driver that is currently up on nvidias website as it is slightly newer and claims to fix some game sound issues.

Originally posted by purist

Should I go pick up a separate NIC card and stop using the onboard connections?

You should get a nice boost in Memory Bandwidth if you use a PCI LAN card.

Bill

Originally posted by Electric Bill

You should get a nice boost in Memory Bandwidth if you use a PCI LAN card.

Bill

could you elaborate? i'd like to know more. also, what you are saying seems to be in conflict with what Spritzup mentioned earlier. maybe not though as the previous comment seemed to be CPU ralated rather than memory related.

i'm not trying to be argumentative. i'm just trying to learn as much as possible.

thanks for you help guys.

Guest AAdjuster

What Electric Bill said, after much experimenting awhile back I found that my memory bandwidth increased. When I had the onboard nic turned off and used a pci nic card instead.